Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2017 10:10:48 AM EDT
I have a Gen1 M&P40 that I love and shoot well, but I want to get another one in 9mm purely as a range toy. The question I have is should I stick with the tried and true M&P, or jump for the Gen2 model. My thoughts so far...

Pro Gen 1:
-More options from the performance center, pro series, etc.
-Holsters will be 100% backwards compatible
-I really like the auto-slide drop when ramming a fresh mag in

Pro Gen 2:
-I really like the new grip pattern
-I don't think I'll miss the extended beavertail
-Better trigger out the box

What I want:
-Full Size 9mm, 4.25" or 5.00" barrel
-More aggressive grip than the Gen1, without throwing grip tape on it.
-Smooth trigger between 4-5lbs
-Fiber or Triji sights

Let's say I have $750 to spend on the gun and I know there is more than 1 way to skin this cat. Tell me what you would do. I'm really interested to hear opinions from the guys that own both and why you went the way you did.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I would look for a gen 1 and drop in an apex trigger.... BUT... that may not fit your needs if you wish to carry a stock gun, etc.....   have you shot the 2.0?  I have not, i wonder if the trigger is actually that much better......
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#2]
For a range toy that best fits your criteria out of the box for your price range, I'd probably look for a gen1 5" M&P Pro Core.

I've got a 4.25" gen 1 and a 5" FDE 2.0.  The 2.0 is definitely an improvement, with a little polishing, factory trigger was much better than stock gen1.  I still radiused the firing pin block and swapped out the trigger with an APEX polymer.
No 2.0 option for optics yet.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a range toy that best fits your criteria out of the box for your price range, I'd probably look for a gen1 5" M&P Pro Core.

I've got a 4.25" gen 1 and a 5" FDE 2.0.  The 2.0 is definitely an improvement, with a little polishing, factory trigger was much better than stock gen1.  I still radiused the firing pin block and swapped out the trigger with an APEX polymer.
No 2.0 option for optics yet.
View Quote
same here. I have a gen 1 9mm 4.25 with apex dcaek and a 2.0 5" with an apex polymer trigger and sear. both have Ameriglo CAP sights.
they are both great shooters, but if I had to choose only one it would be the 2.0.     the only reason I changed the trigger in the 2.0 is I just don`t like the S&W hinged trigger, so I had to change the sear too. but the result is a gun I just love to shoot. it may be the most favoritest ever.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#4]
After finger fucking about 7 different 2.0's the only thing that interests me on the 2.0's is the new stippling. The trigger's, while better, still suck donkey dick compared to the available APEX kits. I also prefer the aesthetics of the 1.0. I have personally never had an accuracy issue, but if I did, I would guess the 2.0 would look better to me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you should buy yourself a new 2.0.

I purchased a full size 2.0 for a new range toy. Yes the trigger is a little better but the grip is really improved.

Apex Tactical has a good carry trigger kit but has not yet offering a competition forward set trigger. But they soon will be releasing it. And when they do I will buy one, I did a little trigger work and its an improvement.

Its a good gun and if you really like the auto forward feature I am sure the catch can be removed or modified to work the way you like.

Picture of my 2,0

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone know if the 2.0 backstraps will fit the 1.0 guns?

I like the texturing but really don't have any interest in buying a new one as my 1.0 is pretty well upgraded already.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I own a M&P 9c and the full size 2.0 so I don't know first hand if the back strap will interchange.

But I have read on the M&P Forum that they will but you will also need the holding tool that inserts thru the bottom.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, the backstraps will swap between any of the fullsize guns, gen1 or 2.0.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the feedback. I drove around town last night until I could find a 2.0 to hold and see how the upgrades felt in my hand. Immediately I noticed the grip- aggressive, but not catch threads on your T-shirt all day aggressive. Just about perfect for a factory gun I'd say and I would see no need to further mod the grip especially for a 9mm. With regards to the trigger it is noticeably lighter- probably just under 5lbs guessing. There is still quite a bit of overtravel, and the pre-travel was even further than my Gen1. It does have an audible reset and you can feel it dry fire, but I doubt it'd be enough to pick up on during multiple shot drills live fire. Trigger reset is muscle memory for me anyway, so I'm not sweating it. For comparison purposes I asked to see a performance center shield that was in the case as well, and the pull weight felt identical but the pre/over travel was much crisper on the performance center.

I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger so to speak. I think I'd prefer a Performance Center model, but I definitely don't have the patience to wait for it. When I get it in my hands, I'll report back to see if the backstraps are backwards compatible or not.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, the backstraps will swap between any of the fullsize guns, gen1 or 2.0.
View Quote
Excellent.

Anyone selling them yet?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Excellent.
Anyone selling them yet?
View Quote
Seen a few on Ebay but that's about it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#12]
The no auto forwarding on the 2.0 is the deal breaker for me. Apex the trigger and be happy with a "gen 1".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top