Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2017 11:20:56 AM EDT
I could lock the slide initially. Did it about ten times to try to make it easier to release the slide stop.

Took it apart to lubricate then could not get the slide to lock.

The sear deactivation lever seems to keep the slide from going back far enough so I raised it and the slide goes back a little further but at no point can I get the slide lock to function.

Any ideas other than to call S&W Tuesday?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Field strip it and reassemble, odd failure 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Field strip it and reassemble, odd failure 
View Quote
I believe that is what I did.  Part of the problem is that I cannot tell exactly how a certain part of the slide lock mechanism engages the slide.  I thought I knew but probably was wrong.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Problems on a Shield? What a shocker. You should see the piece of shit that my mom bought from them on the rebate sale. Their customer service is horrid from what I've experienced thus far. 4-6 weeks turnaround time to repair the paper weight she bought.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
will it lock back with a empty magazine?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The slide should only lock on an empty magazine otherwise you need to push the slide lock up manually to lock it with out a mag inserted.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
This the part that locks the slide
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
will it lock back with a empty magazine?
View Quote
Not after my disassembly!

I also cannot manually lock the slide since doing it without a magazine is the method per the instructions.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Those pictures are perfect.  I assumed that the tab in the first picture is the part that secures the slide, however, the second picture reveals that the securing method I was guessing was in fact wrong.

I will have to retry it looking for the result in the second picture.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Need to have the end of the spring on the rod facing down if you are holding the pistol upright.  Bizarre.  

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/311204-reassembly-problem-shield-help.html

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That was helpful. 
View Quote
Look at the pictures above.  They show how it should look which is not what my first guess was.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Problems on a Shield? What a shocker. You should see the piece of shit that my mom bought from them on the rebate sale. Their customer service is horrid from what I've experienced thus far. 4-6 weeks turnaround time to repair the paper weight she bought.
View Quote
Show us on the doll where the nasty Shield touched you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Show us on the doll where the nasty Shield touched you.
View Quote
Ha. Nowhere buddy because I don't buy S&W junk after they stroked off Bill Clinton. You must be into that sort of shit though, because that came out of left field.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ha. Nowhere buddy because I don't buy S&W junk after they stroked off Bill Clinton. You must be into that sort of shit though, because that came out of left field.
View Quote
S&W's ownership & management have changed since then, or are you still a Ruger hater from when Bill supported a ban on mags w/capacity greater than 10rds?

Your stated 'dislike' of the Shield is just full of useful information including such technically correct terms like "paperweight" & "piece of shit", all indicative of an intelligent & organized mind expert in the use of English.

I purchased a NIB Aimpoint once that was defective right out of the box, took 8 weeks for Aimpoint to fix it but you don't see me posting that Aimpoint CS is poor due to the turnaround time or that Aimpoints are "paperweights" or "POS" based upon a single example.

You got a lemon, it happens, get over it. Anything man-made can leave the factory w/a defect, no-one's QC is 100% so don't try to trash every Shield just because you were unlucky enough to get a bad one from the factory (unless it was user error trying to blame the handgun).

Tomac
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

S&W's ownership & management have changed since then, or are you still a Ruger hater from when Bill supported a ban on mags w/capacity greater than 10rds?

Your stated 'dislike' of the Shield is just full of useful information including such technically correct terms like "paperweight" & "piece of shit", all indicative of an intelligent & organized mind expert in the use of English.

I purchased a NIB Aimpoint once that was defective right out of the box, took 8 weeks for Aimpoint to fix it but you don't see me posting that Aimpoint CS is poor due to the turnaround time or that Aimpoints are "paperweights" or "POS" based upon a single example.

You got a lemon, it happens, get over it. Anything man-made can leave the factory w/a defect, no-one's QC is 100% so don't try to trash every Shield just because you were unlucky enough to get a bad one from the factory (unless it was user error trying to blame the handgun).

Tomac
View Quote
lmao.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#21]
It worked just fine before he decided to take it apart to lube it. Put it back together and it doesn't lock right. Does that sound like a lemon or user error? It happens and that's how you learn...
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It worked just fine before he decided to take it apart to lube it. Put it back together and it doesn't lock right. Does that sound like a lemon or user error? It happens and that's how you learn...
View Quote
Overtorque gave you a link that may help. Did you go there and try what they suggested?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I called S&W today and after doing a few things the rep suggested, it still did not lock.  I had tried the other suggestions here.

It is now at a S&W authorized gunsmith.  Maybe that was a mistake versus sending it to S&W.   We shall see.

Yes it may be a user (me) screwup.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#24]
It's a feature.. Seriously, an M&P with a slide lock problem. Shocked. Good luck with it OP.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn could you manipulate it into the lock position with the slide removed?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I do not understand what this means/how to do it.

I did get it back yesterday.  $10 so it was not a financial issue.

I need to fire it and check the slide lock mechanism when the magazine becomes empty. I still have some questions about it and will address those once I have time to check how it operates.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I need to fire it and check the slide lock mechanism when the magazine becomes empty. I still have some questions about it and will address those once I have time to check how it operates.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad you like and are getting into guns. However you should read up on and or watch videos of how to basic field strip and reassemble a weapon if you own it.

I recommend Google searching field stripping Smith & Wesson Shield.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm glad you like and are getting into guns. However you should read up on and or watch videos of how to basic field strip and reassemble a weapon if you own it.

I recommend Google searching field stripping Smith & Wesson Shield.
View Quote
This is not my first gun and I have taken others apart to clean and had no issues returning them to functional status.

I shot the Shield about 30 times yesterday.  Locked fine to chamber a round and the slide stayed open/locked when the magazine was empty.

I need to run more ammo through it to see how it performs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top