Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2017 11:29:07 AM EDT
I have an M&P 9 mm L model that I bought as a police trade in. I have been carrying it quite a bit recently and shooting Dot Drills with it. I have some reloads that I shoot for practice....Unfortunately some of those reloads are on Glock brass- came off a police range, once fired, nice stuff- FREE.....A few of the rounds I was unable to get the "Glock bulge" out of the casings and they are oversized at the base. Many of my pistols will feed them without issue, I get a few that hang up.....The Smith is probably the worst pistol I have in this regard....

With the Smith they will stick in the chamber and I cannot get them to extract. I have to resort to a hammer and a rod to tap the cases out.... The extractor slips off the case leaving it in the chamber when I slap the frame to clear it.....

Thoughts?

One thing that I can think to try is a Lee 9mm "small base" die. Unfortunately, you can't run 9 mm cases through a die to completely reform them- they are tapered...the best you can do is the small base die but I'm afraid that it may not swage down far enough- which is the issue with my current dies.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
what dies are you currently using ?

I think the LEE will fix it

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what dies are you currently using ?

I think the LEE will fix it

View Quote
RCBS and Dillon
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#3]
try replacing the dillon size die with the LEE

I love dillon, but there sizer tends to have too
much bell at the bottom

also...we have a reloading forum here on ar15.com

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Last year I was having intermittent partial extraction trouble with my M&P 9 pro.  I solved this with an Apex extractor and by putting just a smidgen more crimp on my reloads.  By smidgen I mean I'd measure case wall X 2 + bullet dia.  Then subtract .002.  That is what I crimp to now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Last year I was having intermittent partial extraction trouble with my M&P 9 pro.  I solved this with an Apex extractor and by putting just a smidgen more crimp on my reloads.  By smidgen I mean I'd measure case wall X 2 + bullet dia.  Then subtract .002.  That is what I crimp to now.
View Quote
I may replace the extractor. My other guns will pull the jammed rounds out when I cycle the slide forcefully enough. The M&P extractor slips off and leaves the case in the gun- not acceptable.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#6]
This sounds entirely an ammo problem and should not prompt any tinker on the gun unless you have issues with factory or your tuned up reloads. I am an old school single stage press guy and us rcbs dies with all sorts of range pick up brass with no problems.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I may replace the extractor. My other guns will pull the jammed rounds out when I cycle the slide forcefully enough. The M&P extractor slips off and leaves the case in the gun- not acceptable.
View Quote
Or it could be that the M&P's chamber is a tiny bit tighter so that the fat cases get wedged in tighter than they do in other guns.

I'm a fan of the Apex extractor but you're trying to fix an out of spec ammo problem by replacing the extractor.  Why not replace the barrel instead since they're getting stuck in the chamber?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#8]
If your brass is getting stuck in the factory M&P barrel, you should do something about the brass...
As has been said, if you're dead set on using glock-mangled brass, try a Lee sizing die.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If your brass is getting stuck in the factory M&P barrel, you should do something about the brass...
As has been said, if you're dead set on using glock-mangled brass, try a Lee sizing die.
View Quote
Not being able to shoot "Glock mangled brass" these days means that the only brass you will ever be shooting is what comes directly out of your own gun- assuming you own no Glocks which is the pretty rare shooter......You can forget anything off a Law Enforcement range etc....I shoot quite a bit- on the order of 12-15,000 rounds of pistol ammo a year, the vast majority hand loads. Not using Glock brass or trying to somehow sort it out isn't really an option.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not being able to shoot "Glock mangled brass" these days means that the only brass you will ever be shooting is what comes directly out of your own gun- assuming you own no Glocks which is the pretty rare shooter......You can forget anything off a Law Enforcement range etc....I shoot quite a bit- on the order of 12-15,000 rounds of pistol ammo a year, the vast majority hand loads. Not using Glock brass or trying to somehow sort it out isn't really an option.
View Quote
So you've ordered a Lee sizing die, then?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a few issues with the extractor jumping the case rim when there was a bulge in the case with my round plug gen1 with the second barrel version.

I got the Apex FRE and while it did solve the problem, while replacing it I also found a ton of shit under the extractor. 

Try taking it off and cleaning well too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Indeed!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had a few issues with the extractor jumping the case rim when there was a bulge in the case with my round plug gen1 with the second barrel version.

I got the Apex FRE and while it did solve the problem, while replacing it I also found a ton of shit under the extractor. 

Try taking it off and cleaning well too.
View Quote
Will do and thanks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Indeed!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed!
I should have said it before but you should try lubing your cases if you don't.  For handgun rounds I lay them in a box and hose it with Hornady One Shot.  It's amazing how much smoother they size (I haven't measured it but would bet they're getting deeper into the die as well).  That should help iron the bump out too.

One Shot dries enough I don't normally tumble it off the loaded rounds.  I use Dillon for my rifle brass and am thinking about trying it on the handgun brass but it's messy enough I'd have to tumble my loaded rounds for sure and I don't really want to add another step.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top