Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2017 8:15:24 AM EDT
I had my scandium J frame lock up completely and fail to work about 6 years ago and have not purchased a S&W "IL" gun since. I really like the 686.

Anyone having issues with the "LOCK"?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one fail on a Rem rifle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Had my S&W revolver "lock" on me after firing only 2 shots at a gun range one day.
Didn't have the key w me and had to leave and drive home and unlock it.

Returned to gun range and revolver operated normally..

Will NEVER trust another S&W(w IL) revolver for any kind of personal defense or carry again.
I guess it would be fine for hunting or target(keep the key available)
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Issues with the lock are actually talked about far more than they happen and like your case are usually associated with the super
Light magnums. I like the old blue steel and wood models anyway, but had two lock guns a 60 and 22-4 and never had an issue in thousands of rounds
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 627 PC with the IL and have 10,000's of round through it without an issue.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#5]
It seems like it is more of an issue on the lightweight guns then on the heavier all steel guns.  At the moment, I am saving up for the 627 performance center .357, and I am hoping that the IL lock is not an issue.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Never had an issue, but then again I've always removed them. It's easy to do.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#7]
So if I got a newer 686 I can remove the lock and it will still be gtg?

Will it VOID my S&W warranty?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]
No lock, no worries. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
If you needed to send it back for warranty work just put it back in.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
For spite, I will never buy a S&W with the IL, new or used.  One of the dumbest decisions ever made by a gun mfr.  

No IL, no headache.  

Edit: I will never sell my 4" 686-3.  My next revolver will be a 5" Redhawk 44 mag. thank you very much.  Some bills to pay first.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I just do not buy a S&W with a lock. I prefer S&W's from the '55 to '65 era anyway.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#12]
my second favorite handgun is my S&W Md 65-3 4".........no lock.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Just bought a 686 w/ lock. I have yet to fire it but I'm hoping the lock is over played.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#15]
They are a fucking abomination before God.

That is all.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just bought a 686 w/ lock. I have yet to fire it but I'm hoping the lock is over played.
View Quote
In that gun, the biggest issue you will see is it is ugly.

But i highly doubt that you will have it activate on you.  The people having issues are mostly light framed guns that have sharp recoil impulses....think sc frame magnums.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I would just take it out.  There is someone making plugs for them.  

I'm not sure why everyone makes a big deal about it.  I can see the points, but if it can be remedied, at least we still have an option for currently made guns.  Finding an older one might not be a bad way to go.  

One of the upsides to buying an older smith and wesson is that there seems to be more guys still currently working on them, in comparison with Colts.  I think there are a few, but waaaaaay less.  I'm not sure if Ruger has as big of a pool of gunsmiths either.  Probably so, but with either company you can send it back too.  

I've been reluctant to send my Colt DS back to Colt because the one time I talked to them they were very vague about it they could fix it or not (timing).
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#18]
They're easy to remove, just buy the plug and install it in it's place.  On my exposed hammer 360 I didn't like the small gap beside the hammer after removing the plate with the nub on it that engages the hammer (can't remember what Smith calls it) so I ground the nub off and reinstalled it.  Nothing to engage at this point- no worries.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They're easy to remove, just buy the plug and install it in it's place.  On my exposed hammer 360 I didn't like the small gap beside the hammer after removing the plate with the nub on it that engages the hammer (can't remember what Smith calls it) so I ground the nub off and reinstalled it.  Nothing to engage at this point- no worries.
View Quote
With pictures.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#20]
First lock gun I ever bought was a S&W 617 (22lr) that I bought at a local gun store that was having a S&W factory event with factory reps and the like.

I got home and tried the lock and after I locked it I couldn't get it unlocked.
I roared back to the store and caught the factory rep as he was leaving. He messed about for five minutes or so and got it unlocked.

I have the 617 , a snub 686 and a 21 which is a 44spl with fixed sights , all with the lock and except for the hang up with the 617 all have worked just fine. Don't lock them and they have not caused any problems.
No alloy guns in the lot. I have fired 10 of thousands of rounds in these guns with no problem.

I belong to a fair sized gun club with lots of revolvers being shot every day and there is lots of talk but no claims of any one having a problem with "lock" S&W guns.

Stupid feature but not nearly the problem folks make it out to be.

Don't know if I was in the market for a alloy gun if I would take the chance with the lock
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Never owned a S&W product but IMO I would never buy one with a lock.  Looking for used 686 these days personally 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top