Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2017 4:26:26 PM EDT
With the rebate, it seems like a no-brainer to finally pull trigger on a Shield. I have been looking for a lightweight single stack to be my EDC. But in addition to normal urban carry, I intend to bring the Shield with me on archery hunts. I also plan to have it on me most times at home since bears and mountain lions flow through my property. Now I don't believe in .45 knock down myths, and I know animals are not an issue unless sick, desperate, or just defensive, but still, I figure if a gun is on my all the time because it is slim and lightweight, I think a .45 offers a little more flexibility despite the 1 less round drawback. Thoughts?

In all the years I have been hunting I have never come across a lion, nor have I even been robbed, but my daughter did come face to face with a lion in our yard, so when I consider my EDC, my thought process is probably in a different place than most. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you're thinking right about going 45. I'm thinking the same thing and the chances are slim me for me in southeast TX of running across bears or lions on my property.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I went with 9mm for capacity and followups.
With a MagGuts follower and spring you can fit another round in there.  So you've got 9/10 rounds instead of 7/8 with .45.
Load up with 147gr HST and you're good to go.

This of course doesn't mean that I haven't been tempted to pick up a .45 Shield as well...
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#3]
My will power didn't hold out long with that rebate. Picked up the .45 a few days ago and got to shoot it today. Accurate and easy to shoot. All the reviews are spot on. $285 with rebate and all fees. Should have got two. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not too late...
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]
With $150 in rebates... buy both!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#6]
That's what I did..got both
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
The rebate did me in too.  I've not owned a Shield yet, but that rebate is a nice deal.  And when I saw a NIB .45 Shield at the gunshow with night sights and 3 mags for $399 before rebate, I walked out with it.  I had wanted to get one of the new ported PC guns, but there was only one at the show with night sights and the dealer wanted $619 for it (he can find another fool, not me).  The other PC .45 Shields had fiber optics and were $479-500.  I figured the non performance center gun for $399 with trijicon's was the best deal.  It's trigger is nice enough to me and I don't think the porting would make a huge difference for me.  Earl
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Black bear are around here, but we live in prime lion country. I carried a 45acp, always, for years but wasn't real content with the idea of using it on a cougar or bear.
One thing that bugged me with semi's is the availability of bullets suited to potentially dangerous animals and wether they will feed stone cold reliably in my guns. That, and I wanted a bit more horsepower.
For my piece of mind I went to a .357 (S&W 586 no dash, 4"), now I carry a 329PD, 24 hours a day. Plus it's easy to carry 1 or 2 shot shells in snake season in a revolver, I've burned thru a lot of 45 acp shot shells but always planned on a failure to eject.
I'm sure none of that matters to you but I'll throw it out just in case.
I really like Hornady XTP's when you want dual good purpose (2 leg/4 leg) bullets. They're available in 45 acp. but I have no idea what kind of penetration they achieve at short barrel velocities.
So between 9mm/45acp I'd go 45, but only if I couldn't carry what I consider a more effective caliber.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#9]
9mm in a Shield should work just fine. Load ammo according to your needs.

Charging Grizzly, 9MM Buffalo Bore Ammo

Personally, I still carry a full size 45 ACP 1911 when fishing etc.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Couldn't pass up the .45! I have no issues with a 9, .40 or .45 for two legged critters, but when I'm out for hogs, I carry a 40...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top