Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2017 2:31:25 PM EDT
I sold my third generation smith pistols.
I had read/herd that S&W was not going to support them any longer. parts ect.
Can anyone tell me if this is true?
Any concern for parts?
I know they are tanks.  I was very happy with mine overall.
Did not like the mag safety.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I've read the same thing that S&W was not going to service Gen 3 pistols but S&W has recently built some 3rd Gen pistols to fill LE orders.  A couple of Gen 3 over run pistols have hit the market.

I think the only way you'll know is to contact S&W CS.  S&W might be more apt to fix your pistol if broken than just asking if they still service Gen 3's.  I know in the past S&W has offered newer models to replace older non repairable guns.

I currently have a 39-2, 439 and 5904 as I carried each of these on duty.  I wish I'd kept my 3913 but I wouldn't regularly carry it now.   I still shoot my S&W pistols but just not as much as when I carried them on duty.  I really like my 439 and 5904 and felt well armed packing them.  I carried the 3913 concealed for about 10 years before my Department transitioned to 40 caliber Glocks.

I think the days of the Gen 3 S&W's has passed in the same way it has for the Colt Troopers and S&W 19/66 357's.   The current designs like M&P and Glocks are now much more common.  The fact that M&P pistols don't use hand fitted parts makes them more serviceable and cheaper to field.   Unless your willing to search it is getting harder to find tritium sights and holsters for Gen 3 S&W's.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Most pistols are going to run for decades without parts breakage so lack of factory supplied parts should not worry you in the least. Outfits like. Numrich a d jack first always have plenty of parts. The majority of my pistols are 50-100 years old and have not needed spare parts so something as recent as a third gen smith I would expect to run until the year 2050 without concern and probably a lot longer
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Traded my 4006.  Loved it but it's just too damn big and heavy for today's CCW world, and just didn't care for the mag release safety.  

Time moves along.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
How was the recoil on the 4006?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top