Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2017 9:17:24 PM EDT
So my wife has been asking me for a bedside revolver. She's a big fan of .38 so I've been looking for me on occasion.

A few days back, I was looking at a local Big-R and came across a used "police trade" model 67. Stainless, pre side lock, pinned barrel, firing pin on hammer.

I asked wher it came from and he replied with "S&W". He stated they go to them for refurbishing and then they're sent out for sale. I have to say it's in pretty solid shape. A bit of pitting here and there (nothing major), but everything is tight and the timing seems solid. I'm guessing it got new springs as the DA is super stiff.

Either way, they want $349 for the thing. Is this a solid deal for the little guy or should I look elsewhere?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#1]
(Go for it..350 to 400 dallas
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I doubt that S&W refurbed the gun. But $350ish on a Model 67, pinned pre81 revolver is a decent deal. I've bought a few agency trades. The stainless guns fair better than the blue steel guns. Police guns carried a lot, shot less.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#3]
If it's in any kind of shape that's a great deal. I paid a whole lot more than that for mine.

Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#4]
$350 for a "police trade" Model 67 is certainly reasonable. However, I have to agree that it's verrry unlikely that it was ever refurbished by Smith & Wesson.  More likely they were sold by the department to a S&W law enforcement distributor and not refurbished at all.

I'm a bit concerned about the "super stiff" double action pull.  S&W double action trigger pulls are heavy relative to, say, a (striker fired) Glock, but are smooth.

If you haven't already found this, this is a good guide for what to look for when buying a used revolver: The Revolver Checkout: Ten Year Anniversary Edition
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Be sure to check the timing, lockup, and the cylinder end play.  If it seems tight, that is a decent deal in 2017.  

Cock the hammer back and then push on it.  If it pushes off without touching the trigger, run away.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:59:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats a 400 gun I see good clean one go for around  500 to 650 , the police guns for less . Smith does not make them like that any more .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top