Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2017 7:37:53 PM EDT
I've just been looking on gunbroker, wasn't sure if a site sponsor had them for a good deal.

Also, I'm looking at VZ grips, TK Custom moon clips, BMT moon clip loaders, and the Apex J frame spring kit.

Am I missing anything? This will be my first S&W revolver. Only other revolvers I've owned were Alfa Proj 357 and 22lr revolvers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The only accessory I purchased for my no-lock 642 was a quick loader and a holster. I've been very satisfied. If yours has a lock include a keychain.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The Crimson Trace 405s look nice. They have a little more cushion on the back strap. They are still a boot grip, but they are padded up a bit more for comfort with +p loads. I am not typically a laser sight advocate, but with J frames, it's about the best option for shooting in low light. Seems the XS offering is just an epoxied on sight and that doesn't give me much confidence. You can find them for $200-225 with careful shopping. VZ grips are about $75, an XS night sight is $60 plus installing the damn thing so you are getting close to the Crimson trace grips
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#3]
PS- check Grab a Gun. I know they had 442 Pros for $379.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Some speed strips or a speed loader and a good holster. Doesn't really need anything else, IMO.  Just dry fire it about 1,000 times and the trigger will smooth out nicely.

Mine isn't my primary carry gun, but it's nice for when I need something that conceals easily or is very lightweight.  I wear it in a Smart Carry belly band when I run.

ETA:  I have a regular no-lock 642, not a Pro.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out 5 Star Firearms for speed loaders. Beautifully made items.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:25:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Crimson Trace 405s look nice. They have a little more cushion on the back strap. They are still a boot grip, but they are padded up a bit more for comfort with +p loads. I am not typically a laser sight advocate, but with J frames, it's about the best option for shooting in low light. Seems the XS offering is just an epoxied on sight and that doesn't give me much confidence. You can find them for $200-225 with careful shopping. VZ grips are about $75, an XS night sight is $60 plus installing the damn thing so you are getting close to the Crimson trace grips
View Quote

The 405's are an absolute game changer for J-Frames of almost any caliber.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:42:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems the XS offering is just an epoxied on sight and that doesn't give me much confidence.
View Quote

You can always pin the sight on too. While I have never used the epoxy version of the XS sight on my jframes, I do use the epoxy XS sight for the Remington 870 bead sight. I have done that install on multiple shotguns, rough up the area, clean it up with a some paint thinner,  use some jbweld and let it cure for 24 hours. In almost 10 years of using this method I have yet to have one of these sights come off a shotgun. So I wouldn't be very concerned with the XS sight staying on a .38.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Ammo, lots of ammo.  The J frame guns are harder to learn to shoot well but definitely worth the effort.  I've got speed strips and speedloaders, I prefer the Safariland speedloaders.  Yes, I know the Pro uses moon clips but I'd rather have the no-lock plain 642 personally.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh wow. Those *are* neat. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a 442 Pro when they first came out.  Its my EDC when I'm home.  I carry mine in my weak side front pocket along with a speed strip in the rear pocket.  Just got a set of CTC grips for it (don't remember if LG105/LG305s) price was right for a NIB $100.  Make those 5 shots count.  I also run with mine in a older Bianchi Belly Band.  Use the full moon clip for positive extraction and then reload with the flat speed strip.

CD
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are really nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top