Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2017 11:19:24 PM EDT
Are these worth the $25? Being Apex, i would hope they didn't mess with the spring rates so much that it would affect reliability. What's up with the extended firing pin? Playing around with a 642 and I need to order some stuff from Brownells. The trigger leaves much to be desired, but I don't really want to spend the $75-$100 on an action job.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:23:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Best $25 I spent on my two jframes. Both have been reliable since the upgrade. It is very easy to install and does make the trigger feel much better.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#2]
My 60-7 trigger is awesome. I often wonder if the previous owner did the upgrade. In single action I don't even feel the trigger break, the hammer just drops. No shit incredible.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Initially I tried to cheap-out and just put in some Wolff springs. Slight improvement. The the Apex kit made a bigger difference in smoothness and pull weight with zero effect on reliability. Pretty easy to put in even without that special tool if you take your time. Well worth the $25 in my book.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Worth every penny. I wouldn't still own my J frame if it still had the factory trigger. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#5]
This thread got me in a j-frame of mind. I'm gonna tote my 649-1 today.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I have seen lots of complaints about the rebound, that it didn't feel symmetrical with the pull. I hope the Apex kit does not make the gun feel like an LCR during reset. I like the positive reset a j frame has, easier for me to tell when to start squeezing again.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep hearing about and seeing people install Apex kits in their J frames. It makes me wonder about getting lucky or not. I have a Model 36 and a Model 640-1 from the mid-90's and the triggers on both are superb. Smooth as silk with no stacking, just pull right through.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The trigger on my 340 was so so. I ended up installing an apex kit in it and it made a big diffrence in how the trigger felt. My 342 had a good trigger but the sake of consistency I installed the apex kit so now both triggers feel very similar.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I've installed them on a couple of J frames I've owned. Absolutely worth every penny.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:08:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Initially I tried to cheap-out and just put in some Wolff springs. Slight improvement. The the Apex kit made a bigger difference in smoothness and pull weight with zero effect on reliability. Pretty easy to put in even without that special tool if you take your time. Well worth the $25 in my book.
View Quote

Yep, easy way to improve the trigger.  Put the gun inside a large Ziploc bag when you are disassembling it if you are worried about losing the rebound spring.  You can also put a dab of grease on it and it'll keep it from flying out; just be sure to clean up then relube everything before reassembly.  It's also a great time to remove the lock if you have one.  Order the plug from the fellow on the S&W forum that makes them; I also ground off that silly little nub so there would be no chance of anything hanging up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#11]
There good.........but the extended firing pin always bugged me.  Went with wolf springs and brought my trigger pull down from 12lbs to about 9........just change out your springs
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:09:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I used the Wilson Combat springs in my 442. Cost was around $12? Far cheaper than the Apex kit, but it does not include an extended firing pin. So far ( couple hundred rounds) I have not had any issues with it, and the pull is much improved vs stock parts. I may have had one light strike with some Tula .38 steel case stuff, but I also may have short-stoked the trigger, so I didn't count it against the gun.

The Apex kit comes highly recommended, but the Wilson Kit also gets good reviews.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:57:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually back ordered the Wilson kit for $9 shipped through Midway. Figured it was cheap enough to lose
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top