Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2017 11:52:39 AM EDT
Picked up a 14-1 accidentally.....

Bidding at auction, I thought I was bidding on the next lot.  

Initially I thought it needed repair, but it appears that it is one of the Model 14s that were made as Single Action for target shooters.  (Would require a factory letter to confirm as the parts were also available to 'smiths.)

The revolver has some significant condition issues. Mechanically, it is sound.
Trying to decide if sending it to have it refinished properly would be be worthwhile?  
I am only set up to do rust bluing.

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice revolver, other than the obvious.

It will never be more than a shooter so a refinish such as your rust blue should be fine.

I'd love to have one of those.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Stored in a leather holster?  As long as the barrel and mechanicals are good have it reblued and enjoy a fine target revolver.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
If it were me ( and I rarely advise any one to refinish anything) I would replace the front sight to the proper profile and refinish. I would leave it sa only and use it for bullseye shooting. ( my go to centerfire bullseye gun is a 6" 14 anyway, being a big revolver fan. ) finish it and let us see the pictures!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stored in a leather holster?  
View Quote

It looks like something spilled on it that stripped the bluing.  Then someone started messing with it.  Probably trying to figure out why the double action didn't work.

Side plate screws are buggered, but they left the internals alone.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
S&W LIFETIME WARRANTY...
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn shame someone spilled a corrosive on it.  It's in good shape other wise.        Reblue.......but only a quality reblue.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting camouflage.  I'd slather some Oxpho Blue on it and call it good.  At this point value is strictly as a shooter.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]
FYI last gun I saw with a similar finish was a suicide gun, not that it would matter to me.

I would do the front sight and a cheap refinish.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn shame someone spilled a corrosive on it.  It's in good shape other wise.        Reblue.......but only a quality reblue.
View Quote

I do very good rust blue, which would not be correct, though very striking.

Contacted S&W and this revolver is just inside the time frame they will work on. (1960)

S&W price is comparable to others I have seen.  Trying to find out if the current S&W work measures up to the work from 1960.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
The most, by far, accurate revolver I ever shot was a Model 14 my buddy had when we were in college.  Absolutely awesome groups with 148 grain HBWC and 2.7 grains of Bullseye.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]
As the owner of two Model 14's, *I* would have it properly refinished & leave the SAO mode & front sight alone. This thing will shoot the wings off of a gnat.

Changing anything is like putting a different engine in a Ferrari, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Sold it to a gunmaker buddy.

He will refinish and then his wife will be shooting it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top