Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By 55sixer:
I am seriously considering the FSS.  I hate the trigger on my mp40pro, it smoothed out a bit after 500rds or so, but it still sucks.  This may sound weird, but I hate how curved it is, this paired with the hinge makes it uncomfortable for my finger.  It sounds like most people are happy with the function of the fss, but does it feel better?  Does that make sence?

The FSS trigger piece is made out aluminum and has a much less curved surface, plus it is solid ( not hinged, has the glock style safety in it.). After all the components are installed it is a major difference..not unlike going from a base gritty 7lb single stage AR trigger to a  4lb Geissele SS-E.  Flat out the best trigger I have ever felt on a polymer pistol... including the PPQ Walther M2
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Brutus2:
I am seriously considering the FSS.  I hate the trigger on my mp40pro, it smoothed out a bit after 500rds or so, but it still sucks.  This may sound weird, but I hate how curved it is, this paired with the hinge makes it uncomfortable for my finger.  It sounds like most people are happy with the function of the fss, but does it feel better?  Does that make sence?

The FSS trigger piece is made out aluminum and has a much less curved surface, plus it is solid ( not hinged, has the glock style safety in it.). After all the components are installed it is a major difference..not unlike going from a base gritty 7lb single stage AR trigger to a  4lb Geissele SS-E.  Flat out the best trigger I have ever felt on a polymer pistol... including the PPQ Walther M2

I thank you sir, my wife/bank account give you the stink eye.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 10:00:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brutus2] [#3]

Damn... more stinkeye.. I recently purchased a case of Remington Golden Sabre JHP... and then since I had 9mm ammo I thought it made pretty good sense to purchase a 9mm  M&P pistol... now I need another FSS or DCAEK.. and  night sights...

But back to topic. If you like 1911 triggers you will like this trigger, it has more in common with a 1911 trigger than with any polymer pistol trigger.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By H46Driver:
Have a DCAEK and RAM on order.  What tools are necessary to complete the installation?

Bumped for an answer
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Have a DCAEK and RAM on order.  What tools are necessary to complete the installation?

Bumped for an answer

Hammer, preferably a 3/32 roll pin punch or standard 3/32 punch and a wood block to elevate the frame so the roll pins can move out.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
So a 9mm M&P is going to be coming  in to my possession in the very near future.  My duty weapon is a .40 M&P and the trigger and reset drive me absolutely crazy.  Looking to have short smooth pull with a clean break, and a nice reset. The gun will be a carry/HD/range toy.

FSS & RAM or DCAEK & RAM?
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 11:23:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTacticalCoyote] [#7]
Originally Posted By Impavido:
So a 9mm M&P is going to be coming  in to my possession in the very near future.  My duty weapon is a .40 M&P and the trigger and reset drive me absolutely crazy.  Looking to have short smooth pull with a clean break, and a nice reset. The gun will be a carry/HD/range toy.

I am a fan of the Hard Sear, USB and polymer AEK.

Best combo for what you want for the money.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Impavido:

DCAEK and RAM, IMO.  The RAM can be popped into your duty .40 with no modifications, too - it'll improve the reset at least.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:

Bumped for an answer

Hammer, preferably a 3/32 roll pin punch or standard 3/32 punch and a wood block to elevate the frame so the roll pins can move out.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Bumped for an answer

Thanks!

The apex armors block is a worth while investment to.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#11]

I agree with 55 - the curve is not the best for me as I have huge hands and it seems to make the grip footprint feel smaller.  I am seriously considering some Apex stuff.
Link Posted: 6/15/2013 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an M&P9c with the DCAEK kit, but not the trigger.  Should I grab the AEK trigger as well?  And is the polymer 'good' enough I don't need the aluminum?

Grabbing a full size M&P9 ASAP as well, will likely put the same kit/trigger in, extremely impressed with the 9c after the Apex parts replacement.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Burnsy87:
I have an M&P9c with the DCAEK kit, but not the trigger.  Should I grab the AEK trigger as well?  And is the polymer 'good' enough I don't need the aluminum?

Grabbing a full size M&P9 ASAP as well, will likely put the same kit/trigger in, extremely impressed with the 9c after the Apex parts replacement.

Polymer vs. Aluminum, which one to get indeed?
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 2:00:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I have two "full-size" 9s and a 9c and really like them.  None are "horrible" as often reported, especially instinctively vs. paper shooting but I especially notice the grittiness/upset on the 9c.  After much research, seems the APEX kits seem to be the path forward/easy changes to make them near perfect.

I can "WECSOG"/have the tools but wanted to verify this approach:

- 9 & 9c w/ DCAEK + RAM for each (I sometimes carry the 9c, can always swap to COMP springs on the full size if ever desired/ basic upgrades seem worth it.)

- Second "full-size" 9 w/ FSS + Trigger (older guy, might shoot pistol match/3-gun somewhere down the road/LOVE my 1911s) -- Basically purchased this one for the mags/willing to experiment.  

Question: Does the FSS/trigger kit "need" the RAM?  

Thanks for all the valuable info and thoughts!  

B2

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By babirl:

IMO yes, if you want a positive reset like a Glock.

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#16]

I dont think it needs the RAM. I installed an FSS trigger and IMHO the trigger travel is so short on the reset that a it makes the RAM superfluous.
Originally Posted By babirl:
I have two "full-size" 9s and a 9c and really like them.  None are "horrible" as often reported, especially instinctively vs. paper shooting but I especially notice the grittiness/upset on the 9c.  After much research, seems the APEX kits seem to be the path forward/easy changes to make them near perfect.

I can "WECSOG"/have the tools but wanted to verify this approach:

- 9 & 9c w/ DCAEK + RAM for each (I sometimes carry the 9c, can always swap to COMP springs on the full size if ever desired/ basic upgrades seem worth it.)

- Second "full-size" 9 w/ FSS + Trigger (older guy, might shoot pistol match/3-gun somewhere down the road/LOVE my 1911s) -- Basically purchased this one for the mags/willing to experiment.  

Thanks for all the valuable info and thoughts!  

B2

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I completed three installs of DCAEK's and RAM's with the following tools:

1/8" roll pin punch
Needle nose ( helpful but not necessary )
Vice ( I did use a roll of duct tape to lay the slide on while removing the rear sight for two of the installs )
Hammer
Wooden bar the same width as the rear sight.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Anybody use the J Frame spring kit?
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By sleevefullofaces:

Just did on my older 442.  I wasn't able to use the replacement firing pin or FP return spring (they don't work with the older design) but the rest of the kit made a big improvement.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By heavyduty:

Just did on my older 442.  I wasn't able to use the replacement firing pin or FP return spring (they don't work with the older design) but the rest of the kit made a big improvement.

Very cool.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Flatulence:
I installed the DCAEK and RAM on both of my M&P 9's.

Thanks.. that answered my question: Can you install both a DCAEK and a RAM in the same weapon. Sound like yes. :)

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By satterwc:
Originally Posted By Flatulence:
I installed the DCAEK and RAM on both of my M&P 9's.

Thanks.. that answered my question: Can you install both a DCAEK and a RAM in the same weapon. Sound like yes. :)

Both of mine have DCAEK and RAM installed.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm wanting to upgrade my 45 Full size with the FSS kit.  Bought the 45 brand new about a month ago. How would I find out if  I have the proper sized sear housing block currently (believe it needs to be 1/8)? I mean, I could find out if I disassembled, but just wondering if there is a way to know by date of purchase or serial number or manufacture date?
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Finally got to shoot my new M&P9 with the DCAEK and AEK polymer trigger, as well as my M&P9c which already had the DCAEK, but this time had the AEK polymer trigger as well.

EXTREMELY pleased and impressed with both guns.  Very enjoyable and smooth shooters.  Recommend the kits to anyone that owns an M&P.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I put the Apex on my Shield last night, and it's pretty awesome.  I was skeptical at first, but it really does make a good trigger awesome.

One tip for those who haven't installed it yet...

The Talon Tactical rear sight tool that is used to hold down the striker block spring isn't in there very tight and it likes to bump around and almost fall out while you're knocking the rear sight in with your punch.  After a couple of tries, I figured out that using some electrical tape to tape the tool to my rear sight would cause them to move together instead of the toold flying off after each strike.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Yes.

I installed it on my Airweight while watching the YouTube vid for instal. guideance.

Excellent results.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I was waiting to do a review on the AEK trigger that Apex put out until I had some time behind it. Well I do now and I can say I think it is one of the best upgrades one can do to the M&P. Used in conjunction with their hard sear, this is the best trigger pull in a polymer frame pistol I have felt. I have shot XDms that have had Powder River Precision kits installed, Glocks with fancy 'skimmer' triggers and even ATEi M&Ps with Dougs awesome work done on them. This combo of two parts in my opinion passes all of those other triggers for a lot better price. Easy to install and it acts like a quasi two stage trigger in a handgun, which I like. Pull the trigger to take the pre-travel, then press the trigger the remaining approx 1/8" and then a short 1/8" reset and viola. I am a fan big time. I own the polymer version and couldn't be happier.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the FSS kit in mine well worth it.  I have to disagree on best I still think my xdm with the powder precision is better.  Its slightly smother with a little less overtravel and about a pound lighter.  Either way the Apex is well worth the price.

Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:24:35 AM EDT
[#29]
So Apex hasn't released a RAM for the M&P 45 yet, right?  I keep seeing references to it being 'almost complete, available soon,' but I can't find it anywhere.  Any idea when its going to be available?
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Holy shit! I just installed the FSS on my M&P 9 and had the gunsmith polish the sear and trigger bar. My MK25 with SRT just assumed 2nd favorite status as far as 9mm pistols are concerned.  The M&P is now as close to "perfect" as I have ever gotten with a hand gun (for the qualities that I value the most for its intended application).
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#31]
A note on the early-manufactured sear housing blocks:

For the .45 Duty/Carry AEK, they now include a spring compatible with the early housing blocks.  It's no longer necessary to send the block to Apex for modification, just choose the appropriate spring for your application.  

Nice
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 1:50:56 AM EDT
[#32]
I installed an Alex FSS polymer trigger kit in my M&P9 today, well, yesterday. It is nice. I can't wait to take it to the range and see how it goes with live ammunition.

I like their products very much. I have a Pro that got the USB, RAM, Apex sear, and the AEK trigger (w/ trigger spring), and the trigger is awesome. It is the aluminum trigger. So far, it is still my favorite trigger between the two. Maybe the aluminum FSS trigger breaks cleaner than its polymer counterpart. I'm not sure. I'll shoot it for a while and then probably swap it out with an aluminum one for comparison.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By BTooneUSMMA:
So Apex hasn't released a RAM for the M&P 45 yet, right?  I keep seeing references to it being 'almost complete, available soon,' but I can't find it anywhere.  Any idea when its going to be available?
View Quote

I emailed them an hour ago to ask about availability for a newer M&P9 full size (no safety, has square inserts on each side of frame in the rear).  I installed the DCAEK today and it's definitely an improvement but I'm not having that "massive improvement, best trigger ever" sentiment that I see people talking about.  Maybe the better, more tactile, reset would get me there.  

Or maybe my expectations were not realistic; wouldn't be the first time
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#34]
My 40c has had a DCAEK and RAM since Apex first released their parts, so I'm a long-time Apex believer.

I have a 9FS that I upgraded to a RAM as soon as I bought it two years ago, but I held off installing a DCAEK until I had enough rounds through it to be sure it wasn't going to need to go back to the factory for work.  Finally I installed a DCAEK a few months ago but wasn't able to shoot it until today.  Holy crap!  I think the 9FS is now my favorite handgun!  It was an immense improvement over the stock trigger.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:04:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mwurdeman07] [#35]
Tactical Coyote I have been reading through this thread tonight and have noticed that you have been keeping up with it alot.  I was wondering what you found to be the current best trigger to put in the m&p line pistol?  FSS or Polymer AEK trigger with other upgrades?  Would you mind providing links to the products?  That would be super helpful for me. Thanks man!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mwurdeman07:
Tactical Coyote I have been reading through this thread tonight and have noticed that you have been keeping up with it alot.  I was wondering what you found to be the current best trigger to put in the m&p line pistol?  FSS or Polymer AEK trigger with other upgrades?  Would you mind providing links to the products?  That would be super helpful for me. Thanks man!
View Quote

My current favorite in a duty/ccw M&P is the Polymer AEK with USB and Hard Sear. I find this produced the best trigger pull weight that can safely be used for carry and still deliberate enough trigger pull in that time is life moment. Now there is the polymer vs aluminum AEK. Polymer trigger is close to same as the stock trigger in feel, aluminum has a wider shoe.

The FSS is a good option but I do not like it personally. It is very 1911esque and if you run an M&P with a TS or for competition it could be a great option for that. Just not my cup of tea. Try one for yourself, you might love it. Polymer vs aluminum FSS same as above about triggers.

Apex FSS
Apex USB
Apex Hard Sear
Apex Polymer AEK
Apex Aluminum AEK
Brownells FSS
Brownells Polymer FSS and Polymer AEK
Brownells USB
Brownells Hard Sear
Brownells Aluminum AEK
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 10:28:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nthrunner] [#37]
Just bought the polymer FSS kit for my full size .40 about 10 mins ago. Will be back to update on my initial impressions in a few days when it comes in.

My wallet hates you guys here but my stuffed safe thanks you

Edit 1: Ordered last night right before I posted this and at 9:31 this morning notification it has shipped. Awesome!

Edit 2: Trigger got here Friday. Took me 45 mins to install but wouldve been quicker if I had all the right tools.

Fast-forward to this morning and I put 50 rounds through it and I have never shot my M&P better, I love it!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I just picked up a new 9mm Pro (5") today to use in local IDPA club matches etc... I know the trigger is 'improved' but compared to my stock ,40 M&P FF that has about 3K rounds through it (aka good use trigger job ;-) ) the trigger still has the 'signature' gritty feel. Understanding that it's not going to be used for C&C, what do you guys recommend as apex best/needed upgrades (and in order of priority so I can spread my costs over a little time)?

-Clint
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I just picked up a new 9mm Pro (5") today to use in local IDPA club matches etc... I know the trigger is 'improved' but compared to my stock ,40 M&P FF that has about 3K rounds through it (aka good use trigger job ;-) ) the trigger still has the 'signature' gritty feel. Understanding that it's not going to be used for C&C, what do you guys recommend as apex best/needed upgrades (and in order of priority so I can spread my costs over a little time)?

-Clint
View Quote

Bite the bullet and get the FSS kit. I saved money and got the polymer kit. 2 days late I've now got 200 rounds down range and that normally what I put trough that gun in a month. I love it. It really did make me fall in love with my M&P all over again like the title of this thread states.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 4:30:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Azaziel] [#40]
I was waiting to do a review on the AEK trigger that Apex put out until I had some time behind it. Well I do now and I can say I think it is one of the best upgrades one can do to the M&P. Used in conjunction with their hard sear, this is the best trigger pull in a polymer frame pistol I have felt. I have shot XDms that have had Powder River Precision kits installed, Glocks with fancy 'skimmer' triggers and even ATEi M&Ps with Dougs awesome work done on them. This combo of two parts in my opinion passes all of those other triggers for a lot better price. Easy to install and it acts like a quasi two stage trigger in a handgun, which I like. Pull the trigger to take the pre-travel, then press the trigger the remaining approx 1/8" and then a short 1/8" reset and viola. I am a fan big time. I own the polymer version and couldn't be happier.

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/8250/zwyh.jpg
View Quote

Really wanted to thank you for this thread man, I bought a M&P9 a couple weeks ago and found this while searching for the best system to toss in to improve the trigger. Took your recommendation and got a hard sear and poly AEK trigger and absolutely love the combo in my pistol, couldn't be happier with how it turned out, really improved my accuracy over stock.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 9:23:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: snoog37] [#41]
Originally Posted By nthrunner:

Bite the bullet and get the FSS kit. I saved money and got the polymer kit. 2 days late I've now got 200 rounds down range and that normally what I put trough that gun in a month. I love it. It really did make me fall in love with my M&P all over again like the title of this thread states.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

-Clint

Be sure that the fss does not move you into a different classification, if that is important to you. As I understand it (and I am still very green), you cannot do the external trigger mod that comes with the fss and still shoot production-type entry.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By snoog37:

Be sure that the fss does not move you into a different classification, if that is important to you. As I understand it (and I am still very green), you cannot do the external trigger mod that comes with the fss and still shoot production-type entry.
View All Quotes

-Clint

It would move to ESP in IDPA.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Daytona955i:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Daytona955i:

-Clint

Correct. I use the polymer AEK trigger and I have to be in ESP. But then again, stippling puts one there anyways. Stupid rules.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Azaziel:

Really wanted to thank you for this thread man, I bought a M&P9 a couple weeks ago and found this while searching for the best system to toss in to improve the trigger. Took your recommendation and got a hard sear and poly AEK trigger and absolutely love the combo in my pistol, couldn't be happier with how it turned out, really improved my accuracy over stock.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Azaziel:

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/8250/zwyh.jpg

Glad I could help! It sucks to spend hard earned money and not love what you bought. I am glad you love yours cause I love mine!
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I ended up ordering the FSS & Trigger kit... oh, and an armorer's block. ;-)   Should be here Friday. I figure since I am adding some stippling, and that moves me to the ESP class, I might as well go ahead and add the trigger. I'll let you guys know how I like it after I install this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#46]
I ended up ordering the FSS & Trigger kit... oh, and an armorer's block. ;-)   Should be here Friday. I figure since I am adding some stippling, and that moves me to the ESP class, I might as well go ahead and add the trigger. I'll let you guys know how I like it after I install this weekend.
View Quote

Awesome choice man! I'm sure you'll love it!
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Just purchased the AEK, hard sear and armorer block! Just wondering what tools I will need to best do the job? what size punches ect, anything else anyone recommends having (tool wise) for M&P tuning?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By nagol33:
Just purchased the AEK, hard sear and armorer block! Just wondering what tools I will need to best do the job? what size punches ect, anything else anyone recommends having (tool wise) for M&P tuning?
View Quote

Just a 1/8 punch , hammer and a flat blade screw driver if you need to adjust the loop. The armors block isn't necessary, just a roll of electrical tape.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By housemd:

Just a 1/8 punch , hammer and a flat blade screw driver if you need to adjust the loop. The armors block isn't necessary, just a roll of electrical tape.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By housemd:
Originally Posted By nagol33:

It's not needed but sure is handy.

What I use:
3/32 roll pin punch.
Brownells nylon/brass hammer.
Brownells nylon blue pistol block. (I want the Apex Armorers Block.)
S&W black Sigma tool.
Flat blade screw driver.
MGW sight tool.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Just ordered and installed the Comp Kit for my 9mm.  Damn what a difference it makes, cant wait to put some round through it.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top