Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/2/2003 9:01:47 PM EDT
ARE BERETTA 92FS SLIDES INTERCHANGEABLE WITH BRIGADIER SLIDES
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 10:08:33 PM EDT
Yes, you can swap slide all you want between FS, G, Brigadier, Vertec, etc. so long as they are all:

- of the same caliber A .40 slide will fit on a 9mm frame, and vice versa, without any problems but the feed ramp is different between the two.

- of the same generation. All of the current production are compatible with the FS which has some enhanced saftey features. You can probably put a newer slide on an older frame but an older slide won't fit on a newer frame wihtout changing a few parts.

- there could be some issues if one or the other is a D model. The D models are double action only and don't have a manual safety. Because of this there are some parts left out to save money and some cuts/milling not done.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:23:39 AM EDT
thanks for the info
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:48:18 AM EDT
What is the benefit of the brigadier slide? Heavier, stronger?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:09:13 PM EDT
yes to both.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:50:05 PM EDT
are the barrel, guide rod etc interchangeable between the two slides
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:15:57 PM EDT
guide rod and spring are the same. The barrels will fit but generally won't fucntion reliably.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 8:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2003 8:08:56 PM EDT by kwb377]
Slide release is different also (FS v. Brig).
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 9:13:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kwb377:
Slide release is different also (FS v. Brig).

Different 'FS vs. Brig' or different 'FS vs. Elite'?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:41:50 PM EDT
My Brig. has a thicker slide release as compared to my FS to accomodate the thicker slide.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 8:54:57 AM EDT
Really? That's the first I've ever heard of it.

I finally tracked down the exact message I was looking for. This is from Tood Green, who at the time was working for Beretta.

All 9mm 92-series full-size-frame guns (92FS/D/G, 92 Centurions, 92 Elites, 92 Border Marshal, etc.) use the same frame ... but of course the Elite and Elite II have a beveled mag well and the Elite II has checkering instead of serrating on the front and backstraps. The same is true of all 96-series .40 S&W guns. But the 9mm guns and the .40 guns have different frames, because the .40-cal frames have a wider frame ramp.

My understanding is that the .40 frames will work with the 9x19mm slides. ... the Combo they sold last year used the .40-cal frame for both slides, and there weren't any problems. EL's "Frankenstein Gun" uses a .40-cal Stock frame with a 92D Brig slide without any problems, either.

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:25:52 PM EDT
I never really thought about it until I tried to swap the slides between my Inox Brig and Bruniton FS to create two-tone guns.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 11:48:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2003 1:21:36 AM EDT by stevenb]
Careful with your slide swaps. Swapping slides is like swapping wives; some people do it, but it isn't recommended.
Here's why:
When you interchange parts which wear together (slide and frame rails.) You change the wear pattern inherrent to those two parts.
You cannot see it visually, but there are high and low spots on each part respectively. You'll notice this when the stock brut. finish wears off in a distinct pattern. The frame being aluminum usually looses the battle on which material gets worn down.

Swapping parts back and forth destroys this "memory." This is the main reason I decided not to get a 22lr upper for my 9x.

BUSA used to sell 9mm and 40s&w combo guns, but eliminated for the reasons mentioned.

The slide stops are different sizes, unfortunately BUSA didn't do anything about it on most of their models. You'll notice a bunch of brigadier Elite models where the slide stop has rubbed off the laser engraving against the port rol marks along the bottom.
Many have resorted to Bubba fixes (dremel,) others bought modified slide-stops, and some simply worked out of the box like mine did.

After a gun is broken in about 2000 rounds, a teflon coating is ideal. Bare metal will be covered, and it will ride on a bed of slick teflon. I did this on my carry gun (Beretta 92g Elite II) and it has been the best platform I have ever tested. I had mine done thru Ernest Langdon, who uses TTI/Yellow Tavern, their coating is Teflon-S to be exact.
I did this over a year ago, carry the gun every day and shoot thousands of rounds thru it, and I've yet to wear the gun down to bare metal on the frame rails or the mag well, something I did on the first day I got the gun.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 10:14:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By stevenb:
The G and the FS models will not swap.

???

The internal dimensions of the G and FS slides are slightly different and there's a couple of internal parts that are different, but there are no external differences between an FS and a G slide. The internal difference between them is that the G safety lever has a stronger return spring and no detent so that the lever will will always flip back up to the fire position after decocking the pistol. The frame itself has a different hole drilled in it to handle that stronger return spring.

There is nothing that would prevent a frame from handling an FS or G slide interchangably.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:26:25 AM EDT
Hoplophile,
Thanks for correcting my mis-information, I got mixed up thinking slides cannot be changed internally from FS to G, frames are the same.
I edited the above post to correct it.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:34:14 AM EDT
stevenb, I figured that was the case.

On a diffrent note, since I had never heard of the Brigadier slides requiring a different slide release, I started asking around and have found several examples of Brigadier slides with scratches caused by the slide release.

Just goes to show that ya learn something new everyday around here.

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:16:45 AM EDT
I've seen some bad slide wear on the Elite II series. Mine never had the problem, I'm wondering if the owner is pressing their thumb laterally against it to cause the problem?
I've know a few people to fix the problem themselves with a file to the offending edge of the slide stop. Works okay if you have some cold bluing around I guess.
To the last of my knowledge, BUSA still doesn't see this as a problem, and chalks it up as common wear. Much like the stainless extractors on the 96 series, they call them flukes. The horrible machining on the Elite II series slides gets passed off as, "what you can expect from a production run gun."
The WORST is the horrible checkering job they put on the Elite II, and I believe that new 92g-sd coming out soon. Whoever did the jobs should be shot for the hack job they did. Mine aren't as bad as most, but on mine the checkers aren't square, the horizontal and vertical lines are not cut to the same depth. But what can you expect from machine cut mass produced pistols? A lot for 650 bucks at a deal. I saw some other peoples, and they got raped.
Maybe it's the 1911 style quality leaking out of me. For most runs, when they asked what LPI, the response they got was, "whatever." Some get 10 lpi, some luckier folk get 20, some you can't measure because they got two different types, some follow the curve, some don't on the back strap.
If I were to bet money, I'd say BUSA simply took a case full of standard 9x series frames that were completed, and simply added the horizontal lines on the frame to the stock vertical grooves for the 9x Elite frames and called it checkering.
BUSA has lost a lot of good people within the past few years. Ernest Langdon dumped them; and so did Todd Green -- he went to Sig. The dwindling supply of so called management isn't very friendly to the US civilian market.
That's been my experience, and have heard the same by many Beretta fans.
Sorry to hit the topic stealing soap box, but that stuff really bugs me. For that reason, I've probably bought my last Beretta until they shape up.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:27:01 AM EDT
I love my Beretta, but if I has this kind of shit going on with my expensive, laser engraved model I'd be seriously effing pissed.

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:49:19 AM EDT
I finally took some comparison pics last week (forgot to post 'em).
Here's the FS release:

Here's the Brig release (note it's a little thicker):

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:54:57 AM EDT
And here's the FS slide on the Brig frame (note the space between the slide and release):
Top Top