Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/30/2003 6:54:09 PM EDT
I am working on a project to install a small electronic device in the grip of an 92/M-9. I have two sets of grips but not the M-9 itself (I'm working the electronics end). I need a photo of a 92 or M-9 with the grips off so I can verify what I have (and don't have) to work with. We have completed the same project with an M-16 pistol grip but had exclusive use of room inside. The tolerances in a Beretta grips are far tighter.

If any has or can take a photo that shows the grip area with grips off I would be grateful. Web searches haven't turned up anything.

As an aside - if anyone knows of grips that may be slightly thicker than Beretta factory grips -I'd be interested in knowing of them.

I appreciate any assistance.

Regards,
CWO
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:16:01 PM EDT
Forgive me for asking, but are you building some sort of so-called "smart gun"?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:09:27 PM EDT
I have a 92F that I can scan without the grips if you think that might work. Sorry, but I don't have a digital camera
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:47:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:
Forgive me for asking, but are you building some sort of so-called "smart gun"?

Nothing quite so complex as a smart gun - and nothing that alters/affects its operation. I'm inserting a very small electronic device into the grips. The M9 grips are posing a particular challenge because they aren't very thick, and our ability to machine a groove deep enough for the device (looks like a very slender, elongated capsule)is a problem. I am seeking a photo to understand how the metal grip contours conform (or don't) to the grips. Or to put it another way - I'm looking for a place that I might be able to let the device protrude beyond the inside surface of the rubber grip - without running into metal.

CWO
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 10:03:11 PM EDT
Excuse me for asking, but shouldn't you just go spend a few hundred on a used Beretta? You'll need one to test this thing sooner or later anyway, right? More to the point, a simple picture isn't going to give you the proper dimensions to not only fit into the frame but do it without interfering with the magazine.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:40:15 PM EDT
This project is developed out of an office. Bringing a firearm into an office for development has far to many negatives for for single engineering benefit. The electronic device has over 4,000 .223 rounds on it without failure - so I'm not concerned about device failure testing.

I didn't anticipate that such a photo would be so hard to get. The photo was just so confirm a suspicion of a specific metal feature at the grip - no close tolerances involved.

I'll withdraw the request.

CWO
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:28:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CWO:
This project is developed out of an office. Bringing a firearm into an office for development has far to many negatives for for single engineering benefit. The electronic device has over 4,000 .223 rounds on it without failure - so I'm not concerned about device failure testing.

Probably shouldn't be developing anything for a firearm then.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:47:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By serrada:
Probably shouldn't be developing anything for a firearm then.

I'll ignore your comment since it is made in complete ignorance of the project. If you have experience in the R&D of one-of-a-kind sub-miniature electronic devices for firearms then feel free to offer more constructive comment.

CWO
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 4:10:41 PM EDT
CWO- are you still looking for pictures?

If so, I can post some for you. Would you like any with the mag inserted?

Av.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 11:14:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CWO:
If you have experience in the R&D of one-of-a-kind sub-miniature electronic devices for firearms then feel free to offer more constructive comment. CWO

May I ask what you are building?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:54:51 AM EDT
Avalon: Thank you for your offer of pictures. Another member was kind enough to provide me with a series of great closeups that were most helpful. Such cooperation among members is a great positive trait of these boards.

I am unfortunately not in a position to disclose the functionality of the device at this time. To avoid building up false anticipation - it isn't anything James Bond-ish. It is more of a convenience item than something earth shattering.

Thanks for the offers of help.

CWO
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 11:33:24 PM EDT
Sounds like a device designed to keep track of the amount of rounds fired.

This page may help you with some schematics.
www.geocities.com/Yosemite/6078/mainten.htm

Good luck with your project.
-Steve
Top Top