Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/22/2003 3:03:05 AM EDT
Hi guys. I got a Beretta 96 not to long ago and it seems the grips are getting a bit loose. What tool do I need to tighten them and where can I get it? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:22:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2003 4:23:08 AM EDT by Dog1]
Check www.brownells.com

They have Beretta armorer kits and tools....

As for the grips being loose, are you meaning that the grip screws or the bushings in the frame are loose?

Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:35:35 AM EDT

As for the grips being loose, are you meaning that the grip screws or the bushings in the frame are loose?

Hmph, I dunno. They just feel loose when I draw the pistol. It's probably just the screws.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:38:57 AM EDT
I doubt it's the bushings, I believe they are part of the frame, not screwed in like 1911's...

If it's the screws, use a regular screw driver that is flat on the end, not to a point. That way the screw driver will not mar the screw.....

Try looking for a good set of gunsmithing screw drivers...
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:57:18 AM EDT
Do you have one with flat head screws, or hexhead grip screws? Any good screw driver should work. Emphesis on the word 'good.'
Make sure if you're using the factory plastic grips, they have the screw bushings.
www.geocities.com/Yosemite/6078/mainten.htm
-Steve
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:41:56 AM EDT
Hexhead grip screws. What are these bushings I keep hearing about? Are these things fragile. Is there a known problem with them in Beretta pistols? I'm starting to get nervous.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:54:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/23/2003 4:57:31 PM EDT by Hoplophile]
Most pistols that have removable grips have a bushing on the frame that the grip screws thread in to. That way if you strip them out the bushing can be replaced instead of trying to repair the frame itself. The bushings on the Beretta are pressed/staked in and shouldn't ever come loose. They're actually rather difficult to remove and should only be done by the factory. This is better than the Taurus where the bushings thread in and sometimes if you're trying to remove the grip screw the bushing turn instead of the screw and you end up pulling the whole thing off.

Edited to add that you can tighten the grip screws with a correct size allen wrench, but be careful not to overtighten. The corners at the bottom of the hole for the wrench are very close to where the head of the screw ends and the shaft of the screw begins. The metal is rather thin and if you turn too hard the head can pop off.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:47:28 AM EDT
I think I'll just buy the propper hex driver from Brownells. Best to be on the safe side, I can't stand when my guns are out of action.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:19:10 PM EDT
Beretta bushings are staked as previously mentioned. if you are ever taking grip screws off and the bushing comes off with them, then simply put some loctite on the bushing and screw it back in. let the loctite cure (overnight) and try to remove screw again. the bushing should stay put. FYI. bushings are steel, frame is aluminum. they do that cause the threads in the frame would be stripped in no time when removing and replacing grips.
Top Top