Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2003 5:16:41 PM EDT
My Beretta 9mm mags (springs) are not holding up. They were fine when I stored them empty. But for the last 6 months I've been carrying it. I switch mags every 2 weeks. Apperently that is to long to stay compressed.

My question is what lube do you use on your metal mags. I've been using greased lightening and feel the need to change. Maybe something a little thicker.

I'm buying new springs and want to take better care of them.

All thoughts, opions , advice welcome.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#1]
First of all, you should not have to empty your mags every two weeks. Most major mfgrs simply will tell you to load them up & don't worry about them.

Are you sure these are factory mags?

Buy your replacement springs from Wolff, they're top notch.

As for lube, I use Break Free when I strip a mag down. Some prefer a dry lube.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:36:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Factory mags should not have died so fast, Bobs right.
Even so, some download by a few rounds, so as not to overflex the springs.
I use industrial silicone on the outside and TFE dry on the inside.
Your magazines, looking at the back left side should say "PB cal 9 PARA MADE IN (USA or ITALY)"
If not, that may be the problem and are generally not worth new springs because of inferior heat treatment or out of spec manufacturing.
Thicker grease will not help, it could hurt by picking up more debris and slowing up the follower, and in the winter time, not work at all.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought the gun new ;and both mags say (pb cal 9 para made in Italy).

I just fully loaded one of the mags and unloaded it with my thumb. It worked just fine using hardball ammo. When I carry I use hollow point Speer Gold Dot.

Could different ammo be causing this?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:17:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Wolff has those +10 power springs. They are quality. Springs fail due to bubba fixes, or overloading. Such as squeezing that 16th round into a 15 round mag. That WILL ruin the spring.
For lub on mags, you do not want any wet residue on the mags. This is because oil will collect dirt, and make your problems worse.
If money/time/effort were no object, I'd recommend sending them to a quality refinishing company like TTI, Bearcoat, Birdsong, Robar... to have them teflon coated. TTI has done incredible refinishing work for me on one of my Beretta's. Lightly lubricate and remove excess lube from the exterior and interior of the mag's will keep them functioning smoothly.
Just remember with any magazine spring, never bend them to try to fix them, or overload the magazine stated limit. Dissassemble occasionally and clean.
-Steve
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Define "hanging up" and/or "not holding up"...I know of several Beretta 92 mags that have mostly stayrd fully loaded for the last 7-8 years and no problems.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Bullets and follower stay well below feed lip. Not always in the same place; sometimes 2 from the top and other times 6&7 position.

I'm going to order some of those wolf springs and possibily some new followers too.

I can't just carry FMJ ammo I prefer JHP.I have a Glock also for carry ,with no problems with any ammo.

Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I have several Beretta factory mags that have been fully loaded since 1988. I shoot them every year and they are fine. I lube mine very lightly with Breakfree and have never had a single problem. You say your problem is when you use your thumb to download. To me this means your thumb is malfunctioning. So what. The Beretta mag is designed to work in the weapon.It is designed to function by having the stripper rib on the bottom of the slide take the rounds out, not your thumb.Try it with the gun and see.Also know that if wolf springs were better springs then Beretta would be using them. The Beretta 92/M9 weapon system is one of the most functionally reliable pistol systems in the world. The Beretta M9 won the US contract and passed every lot acceptance test for over 454,500 pistols and still counting. Where was Wolf then? IF IT AIN"T BROKE, THEN DON"T FIX IT!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
These mags, are they new? They haven't been crushed some how have they (ie:stood on)? when you have re-assembled them, did you put the springs in the correct way. The top of the spring has a slight upperward dog leg bend that should go to the front and will end up pushing up on the follower. if you do not put it in that way, then you may have a Fail to Feed during cycling.

Ruff
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a 92 "m9 limited edition"  a couple years go. It came with a 15rd mag and I bought 5 more new Beretta Factory 15rd'ers. I had frequent problems with the slide holding open on the last shot using many of the mags. I bought the 10+ Wolfe Springs and have never experieced this again.

J
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Wolff recoil, hammer and mag springs are what I purchased for my department's 92F's.  I am a Beretta LE Armorer.  Wolff springs are better, period.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 2:23:51 AM EDT
[#11]
From another thread (The Service Beretta 9mm) regarding SOLDIERS' reports on lessons learned from Iraq: (quoted from the report):

9-mm. Beretta: There was general dissatisfaction with this weapon. First and foremost, soldiers do not feel it possesses sufficient stopping power. They desire a modification to allow for more accurate firing during limited visibility - tritium on the sight posts was a specific recommendation.

The 9-mm. magazine performed very poorly. Soldiers were stretching the spring in order to provide sufficient force to feed rounds into the chamber. Soldiers were not satisfied with the guidance from higher to not stretch the spring and only load 10 rounds in the 15-round magazine.
(direct quotes from the report)
RugerCal480 (Mike)
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:26:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Have bought more than a few Beretta factory mags that had bad springs.  Buy the new springs and all your problems will be gone.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry for not getting back sooner. Went shooting twice with multiple problems. FTF and not locking open after last round. I'm ashamed to say I haven't ordered new mag springs and followers yet.
I've been carrying my Glock 19, it's more comfortable.
Mrs. toolman is getting a new computer first (I get to pay for it).

Then, I repeat THEN

Hopefully things will calm down and some spare money will become available.

Thanks for replies
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top