Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2001 1:22:31 PM EDT
I need some help.  (This is a re-print of a post I had on the general discussion page, but I wanted to get some more input, so I posted it here as well)

As a LE Firearms instructor, I have been encouraged to wage a campaign to get new service weapons to the patrol staff in my agency (end of the year and apparently we need to use the last of that budget).

As chiefs of police are usucally somewhat conservative when it comes to $$$, I wanted to get as much info as I could to support rotating out our old handguns, or possibly a change towards another weapon all together (a whole 'nuther topic, I know).

What I'm looking for is this:

Does anyone have any idea on the expected and/or average sevice life of a 9mm handgun (specifically the Beretta 92FS)? Is there anywhere I can find this information in print, so I can present it to my chief? I assume it has to be out there somewhere, but I can't find anything. Beretta must have done some studies prior being awarded the US Military contract.

I have found estimates on the MK-23 SOCOM pistol, putting the barrel, slide and frame at 30,000 rounds... I've heard suggestestions that the M9 was about the same, but no documented (written or printed info-which is what I need). I guess it isn't a sexy enough pistol anymore to have many dedicated sites...

Please help.

Note, the example of the Mk23 is not to suggest that this is what we would replace the Beretta with... at $1500+, the price would be a little much... so I wasn't asking a "what's the best gun to get" question...

Also, our 92, 92F and 92FS pistols are from 10-15 years old.  They have had a good deal of ammo run through them.  My agency qualifies four times a year firing about 180-300 rounds per session.  Also, each officer is given 100 rounds per month to practice on his/her own time.  So a conservative estimate would put many of these guns above and beyond 25-30,000 round range (using the SOCOM suggested range). We have experianced several failures of late, and many of the guns are warranting  an overhaul, at least.

Mike H
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Try calling Beretta USA directly.

Tell them you are a LEO looking to outfit your department with Beretta handguns and you need information. I would think they would send you more mail than you could want!

Av.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top