Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2003 1:50:29 PM EDT
I have been shooting Beretta's for about 11 years now(military M-9) and finally picked one up. Why did Beretta get cheap and put a plastic recoil spring guide and mainspring cap/lanyard in the 92's? If I'm paying for a Beretta, I expect more. I'll begrudgingly replace those parts, and other than that I love it, but thats some cheap ass shit!
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
gee, must be somethin' "new" ???????  only "plastic" on my 92F is the grips. hmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Same here, no plastic parts on my 92FS either except for the grips.

Did you buy this Beretta new?

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
As near as I can tell Beretta went to the plastic guide rods either this year or last.  I was fondling a new 96 and when the gunshop let me fieldstrip it I discovered the plastic guide rod.  I love my 92FS and was reaching for the wallet to snag the 96.

My first reaction was the same as CATM's, but then I thought "what the heck, my Glocks have plastic guide rods and they run fine."  

I am sure that 0.002 of an ounce lighter gun due to the plastic guide rod will really let me carry a 96 for many more hours than I would have otherwise.  Yeah, right. Still, the plastic peeved me enough that I passed on the 96.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
They've been adopting some plastic parts in the past year or so.  The guide rod is fine, and it is supposed to be better than steel.  More lubrous/slick and it stays black even if it gets scratched up.  I didn't know about the mainspring cap/lanyard ring.  But the left side safety lever is plastic as well.

It's not just Beretta either.  For example, the mainspring housing on Kimber pistols is plastic too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#5]

I didn't know about the mainspring cap/lanyard ring.

Beretta claims the plastic part wears better than the metallic one; resists deformation better. I think all in all the plastics that Beretta has incorparated into their design have improved the wearability of the 92/96/M9 series of pistols.

But the left side safety lever is plastic as well.

You mean the left hand control, not the left side.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You mean the left hand control, not the left side.

Well, it's the left side as viewed when you're holding it.  More specifically, it's the lever that isn't a piece of stamped sheet metal held on by a couple of small roll pins.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Well, it's the left side as viewed when you're holding it. More specifically, it's the lever that isn't a piece of stamped sheet metal held on by a couple of small roll pins.

You have them backwards. The lever on the right side (safety/decocking lever for LH shooter) is plastic. The one on the left side of the gun (lever for RH shooter) is metallic. I checked my 92FS this morning when I read that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I purchased My Beretta last year and it has a metal guide rod and metal safety.  I used to wonder about the reliability of those lasers that replace the guide rod, but if they can replace it with plastic, I'm not so concerned anymore.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#9]
not sure which of these 2 guns of mine are more enjoyable and accurate to shoot.my beretta 92fs 9mm or mu colt goverment model 4 in 38 super.both these guns are out and out tack drivers.by gosh if i were a carpenter id carry one of them to do just that drive tacks!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:57:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Those Beretta mod's have been done since 2001 in an effort to trim production costs. Notice slightly rougher finishing with more tooling marks too. Function still a good to go. Signs of the times.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Notice slightly rougher finishing with more tooling marks too.

I don't know, my 92FS was produced in 10/02 and it still exhibits the same metal finish as before. I think even if the plastic parts are cheaper to produce, they're still beneficial to us, the end users. All in all, it's a better wearing gun than before.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Do they still sell metal guide rods and lanyard caps?  Or you we all have to settle for those plastic parts?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, you can still buy both direct from Beretta.  Bought the Brig/92 and had same problem.  Looks better and shoots better too.  Plastic is lighter so follow up shots were a little harder.  

Langdon Tactical has the rod for $24 here:

http://www.langdontactical.com/parts.htm

Your still stuck with Beretta on the loop.  Don't buy the rod from Beretta unless you have to, they will charge you for the spring too and it's some funky coated thing which is WAY overpriced.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#14]
OK I sent a message to Beretta questioning their use of polymer materials in their handguns, heres the reply I got back.

Dear sir or madam:

Recently a gun owner said that you had began to add "plastic" parts to your handguns.  Mainly the recoil spring guide and mainspring cap.  Are their any benefits or advantages over the metal recoil spring guide?  Can a buyer order a metal recoil spring guide with his pistol from your company or have
they been discontinued?

Sincerely,

********, the polymer recoil spring guide  is superior to the metal one
for 4 reasons: 1)  it is self lubricating 2) lighter weight  3) it will not
bend and stay bent  4) less expensive .  We do sell metal recoil spring
guides call the parts dept. at 800-636-3420 . But I believe you are better
off with the polymer guide.

And regarding the lanyard loop , the polymer one work just as good as the
metal one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#15]
If I wanted plastic I would buy a Glock!

I'm willing to bet that Brownell's sells replacement parts a bit cheaper than Beretta.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want a steel Beretta 9x, you'll want a G model (decocker only). Everything but the guide rod is metal and the grips too.
Future plans want a plastic trigger. Which in my opinion is BS.
I won't buy another Beretta unfortunately. BUSA needs some management work.
-Steve
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you want a steel Beretta 9x,

The you want the Billinium.  All the other 9x series use aluminum frames.

you'll want a G model (decocker only). Everything but the guide rod is metal and the grips too.

Are you sure about that?

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If you want a steel Beretta 9x, you'll want a G model (decocker only). Everything but the guide rod is metal and the grips too.
Future plans want a plastic trigger. Which in my opinion is BS.
I won't buy another Beretta unfortunately. BUSA needs some management work.
-Steve

All the Beretta model 92's have a steel frame and body.  The G model is just a varient from the standard FS.  Every pistol that Beretta offers in that line is all metal except for the lanyard ring, and the guide rod.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#19]

All the Beretta model 92's have a steel frame and body.

WRONG. The 92 uses an aluminum alloy frame and a steel slide.

Every pistol that Beretta offers in that line is all metal except for the lanyard ring, and the guide rod.

And the safety/decock lever on the right side of the slide.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:52:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a stainless 92FS purchased in 1993, "made in Italy".  The stainless finish appears to be better that the new stainless 92s I have seen.  I am very pleased with the quality.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

All the Beretta model 92's have a steel frame and body.  

For someone who claims to have "researched firearms since I was 8" & to "have handled firearms since I was 10", you sure seem to not know much.

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Just because I do not know the exact metals used in its production, does not mean that I don't know about the firearm or its operation.  Even the best make mistakes, and I am no different nor do I say that I am right 100% of the time.  I admit that I was wrong on that, but just because I made a mistake does not mean that you should ridicule or mock me.  I am not looking to make enemies or cause any problems nor do I come to this forum to do so, I come to discuss firearms.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Just because I do not know the exact metals used in its production, does not mean that I don't know about the firearm or its operation. Even the best make mistakes, and I am no different nor do I say that I am right 100% of the time. I admit that I was wrong on that, but just because I made a mistake does not mean that you should ridicule or mock me. I am not looking to make enemies or cause any problems nor do I come to this forum to do so, I come to discuss firearms.

I'm not ridiculing you, just rawhiding a little bit. However, the Beretta 92/M9's use of aluminum in its frame has been one of the reasons for criticism since inception. That's not really a secret or little known fact.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Just because I do not know the exact metals used in its production, does not mean that I don't know about the firearm or its operation.
Like I said, for some who claimed to know a lot you don't seem to know much.

Even the best make mistakes, and I am no different nor do I say that I am right 100% of the time.
Fairly basic knowledge on the Beretta, even for a novice.

I admit that I was wrong on that,
Why? Because you got called on it?

but just because I made a mistake does not mean that you should ridicule or mock me.  I am not looking to make enemies or cause any problems nor do I come to this forum to do so, I come to discuss firearms.
I probably wouldn't have said anything had you not shot your mouth off in another thread about how you had "researched guns since I was 8 years old" or some such bullshit. You wanted to look like a gunrag writer & you come off looking like a dufus. But then, you are from NY.

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#26]
My circa 1996 era 92FS stainless has the metal rod, and my buddy's circa 2001 92FS has the plastic.  I've shot both and there is no difference between the two of them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry guys, I wasn't clear. I ment steel (alloy) parts instead of plastic.
The frames are anodized alluminum except on the Billenium and the new steel framed Vertec without rails (unsure of the name).
Actually, with Beretta USA, it is almost impossible to know exactly what is going on at any given time. They change materials and designs and forget to mention it to anyone until you're looking at it at the gunshop.
Not all G models are the same, there are the Elite series, and some production G's. A couple newer models as well. The G line extends into their Cougar series too.
Most are limited to LEO except the Elite series. They're limited to LEO mainlly due to logistics in splitting up the high cap mags from the firearm.
The easiest way to obtain the production G models is thru police trade-ins.
The Elite series doesn't have a langyard. The cap is metal though. The G Decocker is metal as of October '01 production units. I had a bevel job done on the weapon, along with the decockers. They're definately alloy. Hell, recent productions may have a plastic... er, I mean carbon fiber barrel.
If you want to see Beretta's progression in the firearms industry, look no further than the 9000.
Sadly, I think I've bought my last Beretta.
Sorry about the unintentional mis-information.
-Steve
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#28]

stevenb:
Sorry guys, I wasn't clear. I ment steel (alloy) parts instead of plastic.

Sorry about the unintentional mis-information.

I understood what you meant by "metal" in your first post. There's no mis-info there, you were right...
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#29]
F.Y.I. origional mags had aluminum followers.Plastic now replaces it because of requests from the U.S.ARMY-Rock Island. It is the same material as the follower in the Colt M16 magazines. Another item not mentioned yet is the trigger.It is a thermal plastic coated heat treated stamping.All parts were tested and subjected to the Army standard lot acceptance testing procedures and all parts passed. Also there are other changes not mentioned so far in this thread....#1frame was radius cut on backstrap to decrease grip to trigger length(I hate this modification) #2 increase material in dust cover/recoil spring housing area to increase frame life. (can be seen in side by side profile of area foreward of trigger guard) #3 radius cut locking block to increase life. #4 change of material and heat treat on firing pin block lift lever to increase life of that part.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I just purchased a used 92FS six months ago and finally had the chance to shoot it (no comments from the peanut gallery!). I had been fondling it for most of that time and all the parts in question seem to be steel on mine. I am not opposed to new technology and it's incorporation into firearms. I love the 92. It felt great in my hand and I was putting all the shots where I was intending to. I also have a Springfield 1911A1 that I love, but the Beretta is a wonderful weapon (it is much esier to maintain!!!!!). I had never shot a 92 prior to purchasing one, but felt that there is probably a reason most military and law enforcement agencies have adopted it as their wapon of choice. Will I buy another Beretta, I don't know, but I will enjoy fireing this one for some time to come.

I am just someone who enjoys going out on the weekends and having some friendy competition with my firends. I do not make a living carrying a firearm. Maybe that is why I don't seem to mind the incorporation of polymers and alloys in my firearms. I will probably never wear a firearm out --- but I will continue to tyr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top