Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/5/2006 8:35:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 8:42:32 PM EDT by five2one]

A fellow arfcommer wants to trade a 92 in decent shape for my Stery M40.

What are the advances of the 92fs over the 92?

Are the magazines interchangeable or will I need to search out old magazines?

Are there new hicap 92 mags?

The prospective trader referred to it as rare, but I don't know anything.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:49:32 PM EDT
It means For Sale.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:49:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By texas_mustang_01:
It means For Sale.

I'd suggest confirming the model, or better yet looking at the markings yourself. Vast majority of the 92's in the USA are the F or FS variety, though some S's popped up recently.

Anyway, for educational purposes, the 92 series are all hi-cap. The different models vary basically in where the mag catch is and where the safety is.

The 92 had a frame mounted safety like the 1911, and uses a mag catch that's on the left side of the frame, near the heel of the grip. It's a push-button like most pistols, just in a different place.

The 92S is basically the same thing as the 92 with the safety on the slide.

The 92S-1, 92SB and 92SB-F are all basically the same gun that was tested as the XM9.

The 92SB-F was renamed the 92F. The difference between an S and an F is the mag release on the F is now behind the trigger guard i.e. "American type".

The 92FS is a 92F that has a bigger diameter head on the hammer retaining pin, and a relief groove cut in the slide to clear the bigger head. This acts as a retention device so that if the slide breaks, it will remain on the gun and not fly off to hit the shooter. All M9s are "FS" standard.

The 92 Stock is a 92FS with a frame mounted safety ala 1911.

The 92D is a DAO version of the FS.

The 92G is a FS with a decock-oly switch on the slide. When you use the lever to decock, it springs back into the fire positon. There is no manual safety.

A "Centurion" is a full size frame and a compact barrel.

A "C" "L" and "M" designate types of compacts. They are/were available in variations above like the full-size guns. The "M" is a single stack. They have a compact barrel and compact (13rd) frame.

Factory 15 rd MDS mags will work with any model 92. USGI mags will work only with the M9 or F and later (i.e. American mag release). Some previous factory mags and some Mec-Gar mags will work with both type mag releases, some won't. There's pleny of both around.

MDS mags that will work on any 92 are available new for $20. MDS is the Beretta owned mag factory that makes all their factory mags.

Find out the exact model if you can.

The slide markings will usually tell you exactly what you're looking at. It will say "F" "FS" "G" "D" etc on the slide, so it's pretty easy to know what you're looking at. Even the compacts, which have more complicated designations are spelled out. Use the markings and the descriptions above to figure out what it really is. How rare it is will depend on which model it is.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:17:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 1:17:41 AM EDT by texas_mustang_01]
That was a joke BTW

I just felt bad beacuse no one replied.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:21:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:28:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ross:

Originally Posted By texas_mustang_01:
It means For Sale.

I'd suggest confirming the model, or better yet looking at the markings yourself. Vast majority of the 92's in the USA are the F or FS variety, though some S's popped up recently.

Anyway, for educational purposes, the 92 series are all hi-cap. The different models vary basically in where the mag catch is and where the safety is.

The 92 had a frame mounted safety like the 1911, and uses a mag catch that's on the left side of the frame, near the heel of the grip. It's a push-button like most pistols, just in a different place.

The 92S is basically the same thing as the 92 with the safety on the slide.

The 92S-1, 92SB and 92SB-F are all basically the same gun that was tested as the XM9.

The 92SB-F was renamed the 92F. The difference between an S and an F is the mag release on the F is now behind the trigger guard i.e. "American type".

The 92FS is a 92F that has a bigger diameter head on the hammer retaining pin, and a relief groove cut in the slide to clear the bigger head. This acts as a retention device so that if the slide breaks, it will remain on the gun and not fly off to hit the shooter. All M9s are "FS" standard.

The 92 Stock is a 92FS with a frame mounted safety ala 1911.

The 92D is a DAO version of the FS.

The 92G is a FS with a decock-oly switch on the slide. When you use the lever to decock, it springs back into the fire positon. There is no manual safety.

A "Centurion" is a full size frame and a compact barrel.

A "C" "L" and "M" designate types of compacts. They are/were available in variations above like the full-size guns. The "M" is a single stack. They have a compact barrel and compact (13rd) frame.

Factory 15 rd MDS mags will work with any model 92. USGI mags will work only with the M9 or F and later (i.e. American mag release). Some previous factory mags and some Mec-Gar mags will work with both type mag releases, some won't. There's pleny of both around.

MDS mags that will work on any 92 are available new for $20. MDS is the Beretta owned mag factory that makes all their factory mags.

Find out the exact model if you can.

The slide markings will usually tell you exactly what you're looking at. It will say "F" "FS" "G" "D" etc on the slide, so it's pretty easy to know what you're looking at. Even the compacts, which have more complicated designations are spelled out. Use the markings and the descriptions above to figure out what it really is. How rare it is will depend on which model it is.

thanks that is a big help.

Since you are very knowledgeable I have one more question: is the berreta 92 the same (interechangebale parts and magazines) as the taurus 92?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:08:15 AM EDT
Brazil made the 92 under license from Beretta for some years. This was the earlier model(s) with the odd-ball mag release. Up to that point, the parts would be interchangeable. I'm not clear on the actual detials of the history of what happened, if Brazil nationalized the plant, or what, but the result was Taurus took over production, and Beretta no longer licensed them. From that point on, the two models start to diverge. Taurus continued to produce the basic model and make changes (which is why the Taurus safety is on the frame still). Beretta contiuned to make changes in the 92 and resulted in the line as we see it.

The different paths each company took make parts interchangability problematic. Early models share mags, but once the American mag relase was adopted by both companies around the same time, since they didn't do any cooperation, mags aren't interchangeable with those later models. Barrels and locking blocks are switchable last time I checked, and I wouldn't doubt that some other parts can swap as well, but because Taurus stuck to the old safety, and Beretta went to the slide mounted safety, alot of major internal and external parts are different. So it would just depend on what part you were looking at to determine if they were compatible.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:05:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bob1984:
Might help

good link, thanks for the info
Top Top