Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 5:07:25 PM EDT
This will be my first handgun, and i want a beretta in .40S&W. I had my eye on the px4 storm but have recently been looking at the 96. When i decided to buy a rifle about 4 months ago, i researched for about a month for at least 5-7 hours a night to find out all my options and the pros and cons etc( and i didn't find this sight till the very end of my research). Well, NOT THIS TIME! I am going to ask for some help, and would appreciate your technical thoughts on the pistol you think is best. I will be using it for home defense and maybe carry. I am looking to spend about 500.00. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The 96 is a great gun.  I have a 92, which is what the 96 is based on, and I love my pistol.  A few things to consider tho:

40 is about 50% more expensive than 9mm to shoot, so if you want to spend a lot of time at the range, you will pay for it.

I have no personal experience with the 96, but I have heard some people say it is not as reliable as the 92.

If you want to carry the gun, a 92/96 is a BIG gun, and not the most concealable weapon.

$500 would be a GOOD price for a 96, so you might have to do some shopping.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The 96 is a great gun.  I have a 92, which is what the 96 is based on, and I love my pistol.  A few things to consider tho:

40 is about 50% more expensive than 9mm to shoot, so if you want to spend a lot of time at the range, you will pay for it.

I have no personal experience with the 96, but I have heard some people say it is not as reliable as the 92.

If you want to carry the gun, a 92/96 is a BIG gun, and not the most concealable weapon.

$500 would be a GOOD price for a 96, so you might have to do some shopping.

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to handguns so please bear with me. Does the 92 come in .40S&W? if so, what are the specific advantages of all the variations that i have seen?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
the 92 is the 9mm the 96 is the 40Cal I think.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
That's correct.

The 92 was made by beretta originally for the military as a 9mm pistol.  Later on they scaled the pistol up for the .40 cal and called it the 96.  They are mostly the same gun and function identically as far as mechanics are concerned.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both a 92 and a 96, the 92 being a Brig, but have had no experience with the PX4.

I was very pleasantly surprised how accurate I was with the 96 right out of the box, and how well it handled the recoil of the 40s&w round, compared to my first shooting experience with the 40s&w in my son's XD-40, where the shorter barrel, lighter weight and different balance presented a greater challenge in keeping muzzle flip under control. I have encountered no significant reliability issues with my 96;  I have had two instances of FTFeed after about 600 rounds, but both with the same mag, and I suspect it is the mag that is the problem.

The Berettas are big for carry, and you will be doing well if you can find a lightly used 96 for $500 (mine was new for $600 .... my dealer is very good to me), but IMHO you will not be sorry if you get one. If SHTF, I would have no problem grabbing either my 1911 or the 96.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The good old 92.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#8]
For a first handgun a 40 is a poor choice.  Best choice is a 22.  Buy it, buy several thousand rounds and PRACTICE.  Then move up to centerfire.  This is especially important if you plan to carry.  Carrying a pistol you are neither competent nor comfortable with is just trouble waiting to happen.

If you are determined to start on centerfire, go with the 9mm.  Ammo much cheaper.  Recoil significantly less.  You will shoot it more.  Which is the only way to get better.

Have owned a 92 since '88.  Absolutely 100% reliable.  Used ones can be found for your price range,  new unlikely.  It isa tad bulky for carry, but no worse than most of the wonder nines.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know about the PX4, but I love the 92.  As a hobby shooter/home defense, it can't be beat.  I imagine it's the same with the 96.  I'm the sentimental type, and I love the way that racking a slide on a 92FS feels like it's on ball bearings.  Never handled a PX4.  Just from looking at it, it seems the PX4 is skinny in the area of the slide, so clearance drills might be harder.  But, then....If it never jams....? hmm.    As a carry gun, the 92/96 is a bit big.  Personally, I carry a GL23, but it doesn't have the aesthetic appeal of my Beretta, SIG, etc...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm basically a 1911 man, but the 92 is a good weapon.   As far as caliber, the .40 is a good cartridge, but 9MM is adequate if you are using the right ammo.  The key is practice practice practice on good shot placement.  You can knock them down just as good with a well placed 9MM shot as a .45.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#11]
My first handgun was the 96 Brigadier INOX and I couldnt be happier.  I had an extractor break after 1500 rounds or so, and a FTF that was due to an aftermarket magazine that didnt work properely.  Otherwise, it has been fantastic.  It will need a trigger job right out of the box so expect to pay for that right away, but its not too hard and most shops can offer this for $20-30 or you can pay Beretta $70 (i think) for it.  Mine was bought new for $660.  It is also my carry gun and while it is a bit large, its still concealable.  While the 92 will be cheaper to shoot, I think 9mms are an inferior round.  Just my opinion.  I bet Ill get crucified for that comment, but what the hey.  Shoot one of each of you can so you have a clearer assesment of what you really like.  Good luck with your choice.  As long as its a Beretta, your heading in the right direction.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Ive got 3 Beretta 92's (1 F & 2 FS) in the stable. I'm a little biased..........
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Been home all week sick. Heres a pic.......
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I (literally) voted for the 96 Brigadier.

Benefit of the Brig is a dovetailed front sight for easy replacement with night sights.

Benefit of going with the 92/96 platform is the wide array of accessories / parts / cheap mags / etc available.

And its proven history in actual service with millions of end users.

As opposed to the PX4, which is probably a swell handgun, but is new and unproven.

And you don't have access to a plethora of cheap mags / parts / accessories.

Plus, the 92/96 platform just looks right, like the 1911 just looks right.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#15]
The problem with the Brigs is that you lose a lot of the 92 accessories available to you in the holster department.  The Brig has a wider slide and DOES NOT FIT in some of the custom 92 holsters, especially the hard plastic ones.  You will either need to go with a "one size fits most"POS, or try to shoehorn/stretch it into a leather one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:54:25 AM EDT
[#16]
PX4......................thats all you need...........
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Can I tack a question on

Where are some good places to buy replacement parts (skeletonized hammers, threaded barrels, grips)
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#18]
straight from beretta
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#19]

try this

Gary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top