Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/1/2006 5:37:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 5:40:33 PM EDT by Accord]
I'm most likely going to be purchasing an M9 this week and just haven't found too many holsters available for the 92FS/M9 that would be good for IDPA competitions, which is what i'm primarily going to be using the gun for.

What are some key features I should look for in an IDPA style holster? What holster would you recommend for IDPA competitions using the 92FS?

Also, i'm going to need a pouch or something of that sort to hold 2 mags, preferably something that matches the holster.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:12:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 6:15:31 PM EDT by OFCJAX]
I use an open top Kydex paddle holster made by DeSantis Leather in IPSC w/ Uncle Mikes mag rigs. I shoot a 96G Elite that has a Brig slide, so most of the stuff out there wouldn't work (well enough) without the special order.
If your using a 92FS then your options are many. Uncle Mikes, Fobus, or a SERPA should do the trick. Never used the SERPA but the other two were good enough for my 92F (old duty weapon).
Both have paddle or belt rigs as well as open top double mag rigs. Uncle Mikes "looks" cleaner to me but both do a good job.

As for features, Ease of draw and reholstering, durability, covers trigger well, and doesn't fall out!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:03:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Accord:
I'm most likely going to be purchasing an M9 this week and just haven't found too many holsters available for the 92FS/M9 that would be good for IDPA competitions, which is what i'm primarily going to be using the gun for.

What are some key features I should look for in an IDPA style holster? What holster would you recommend for IDPA competitions using the 92FS?

Also, i'm going to need a pouch or something of that sort to hold 2 mags, preferably something that matches the holster.

Thanks

I think the "spirit" of IDPA is conceal carry type equipment. If that is the case, there are many out there. I'm looking at some of the bianchi ones, they've got a couple. Galco has some I think too. Kramer Leather. There is a tack in the Handgun, General Discussion of all the different brands.

And just so you know, I don't think you can use a cross draw in IDPA. If I'm not mistaken it is, strong side only type.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:37:07 PM EDT
Uncle Mike's kydex or Fobus are the most popular in these parts. I've used both. A slight preference for Uncle Mike's. Mostly because I think it looks better and does allow some adjustment in angle of carry and such.

Any decent concealed carry rig will work. Depends to a large extant on how much you want to spend. Mike's or Fobus are a $20 investment. DeSantis, Bianchi, Safariland, etal will run you better than $50 and a really nice rig can hit $100.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:20:35 PM EDT
i like the blackhawk CQC holster. i dont compete, but it's what i use for carry and I am really happy with it. Get the one with the SERPA retention system. That is a clip that locks on the trigger guard and is released by your trigger finger when you draw the pistol. Draws are lightning fast and so is re-holstering. Just jam it back in and the holster does the rest of the work. The SERPA clip is very secure and the pistol is held very firmly no matter what you do.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:26:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2006 8:28:31 PM EDT by Dano523]
As for the fobus, The retension is non adjustable, and on the mag holders, you have to spring load them with cut credit cards to retain the mags during a hard run. But if you do want to save some money and go Fobus, I will sell you my Fobus set up for the 92fs. The holster is a paddle roto (in the bag with the allen wrench), and the twin mag holder is the fixed paddle version (already tensioned with credit card inserts). I used them once, and couldn't get used to the feel of tension coming out of the holster plus don't like to wear my mags straight up. (run a CR speed rig in USPSA).

$30 which includes shipping to you for both the Roto paddle holster and the twin mag paddle holder. If you want them, IM me.

secure.fobusholster.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=294
secure.fobusholster.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=23

Top Top