Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/30/2005 2:35:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2005 2:36:40 PM EDT by cbradey]
Has any one used these on a 92FS? Are they worth the price?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:35:22 PM EDT
They're a toy, IMO. While you're focusing on a little red dot, you're losing your area awareness, IMO. Bright daylight does them no favors either. I'd stick to good no-snag sights & have a trigger job done.

My .o2
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:34:36 PM EDT
I could see a use for them if you're wearing night vision goggles, but it doesn't make the gun "LASER guided" nor do anything for bad shooting habits like poor trigger control, etc. I'd say they're not a general use device. If you have a need for them, they'd be worth it. At the price though, unless you have that very narrow need, you'd be much better off buying ammo and paying for a training class.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:46:45 AM EDT
I read about using laser sights for shootting from odd positions or aiming from the hip, such as in close-in situations where you would not want to bring your weapon out in front of you to sight properly. Is this legit or just sales bull?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:24:25 AM EDT
The biggest problem with lasers is speed, or the lack thereof. You have to aquire the laser spot out there, then aquire the target, and then move the spot to the target. It's not like a red dot sight where you're already looking through the dot and just need to find the target. I've tried out lasers and they always seemed to take longer to get anything done.

As BobCole notes, you also get fixation on the dot and start to loose what's going on around you.

If you're wearing something that prevents you from using the sights, like maybe some type of protective gear, a gas mask, NVG's etc. then it may be a better option than not having any sighting system available.

There could be a case for a deterrent value when a target is lased, but that would be pretty limited as well.

As for "from the hip", I can't really see a situation where I'd need to speed rock, and still have the time requried to deal with the laser to begin with. If I have the kinda time to use the laser, I can use the sights. Same with point shooting or anything like that.

I'm sure there's some techniques and training that would make it effective. I'd be interested to find out.

I still say you're better off buying ammo and range time with an instructor. Heck, buy some range time with an instructor that can show you how to use a CTC to begin with. Then you'll have the advantage of some training, and training on the laser as well. You'd be able to make a better informed decision then.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:00:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cbradey:

Is this legit or just sales bull?

If the guy telling you the story is also the one selling you the item, run away.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:43:04 PM EDT
10-4 , thanks for the insight.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:33:24 AM EDT
They do make for great entertainment when a cat is involved, though...

Woody
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:21:03 PM EDT
The ones we had on our M9s in Iraq worked very well. There was a real and valuable intimidation factor when used against the Iraqies. YMMV If you are using them for CCW or home defense.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:43:33 PM EDT
I happened to get a great deal on mine so I bought them to try out. After using them, I can tell you that I shoot better with iron sight than with the laser, but in a self-defense situation (I carry my 92fs) one of many reactions to the stress of combat is blurry eyes and inability to focus, rendering iron sights nearly useless. So unless you are trained in point shooting, well, herein enters the laser. It also has a very good intimidation factor, according to our recently deployed friend posted above. Cops who have used them and posted on ARFCOM also give them high praise. Moral of the story: If you can get a good deal, go for it. Otherwise, buy ammo and training.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:06:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rizzo1318:

one of many reactions to the stress of combat is blurry eyes and inability to focus, rendering iron sights nearly useless.

I don't know who told this, but this is not the case for the majority of shooters, sir. As with any mechanical device, a laser may fail just when you need it most. A good shooter can (and have) overcome losing a sight, either front or rear. Depending upon a laser in a defensive shooting is not a good idea, IMO. YMMV.
Top Top