Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where is the best place to find ammo in 32?   Rural King has it for $16.97 a box of 50.  Most everyone else is over $20 per box for 32 auto.  I would love to pick up 500 rounds if I could find a deal.
View Quote
Classic has or had ppu. I got 500 delivered for $133.10. Should be here tomorrow.

SGAmmo had it in stock as of last night. Got the back in stock email after ordering from classic.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it possible to convert on of these to .380
View Quote
@thebert, some people have done so with a barrel and recoil spring change (and the appropriate magazines).  I think Allegheny Arms offers threaded barrels, but there's a waitlist, and they also say .380 will be a bit harder on the frame.  No reason an OEM barrel shouldn't work.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Just broke weak and ordered another X grade from Aim...anyone else?
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just broke weak and ordered another X grade from Aim...anyone else?
View Quote
I could not resist. X grade ordered.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I was weak and ordered an Aim "X" to go with the hand select I already got from DK.  Kind of an expensive way to get a spare magazine.  

Rob
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

New barrel, I hear.
View Quote
Thats what I was thinking
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Would also need a heavier recoil spring from an 84.
View Quote
Yeah, thinking that too, but the .32 spring is pretty damn stiff. lol
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@thebert, some people have done so with a barrel and recoil spring change (and the appropriate magazines).  I think Allegheny Arms offers threaded barrels, but there's a waitlist, and they also say .380 will be a bit harder on the frame.  No reason an OEM barrel shouldn't work.
View Quote
Good deal. I have one of the 81BB's not really wanting to do it, but I just thought maybe down the road it might be something to try.
I am also on the waiting list for the Allegheny arms .32 threaded barrel. Cant wait to try this thing out with my 9mm TiRant.

" />
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Ordered one. I saw the email. Came to $193 shipped.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Just picked up a 81BB from Gander Outdoors.  Bought online and had ship to store.  My first order kicked out in their system so they placed a reorder and knocked $10 off price plus waived all shipping fees. $219 plus tax.  I would rate bluing at 95% with the exception of the front on the slide where there is normal holster wear.  I dont think this one was shot very much.  The amount of lint on the extractor and firing pin was crazy. Will try to upload photos later.  Really wish I would have bought 2.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would also need a heavier recoil spring from an 84.
The 81 and 84 recoil spring is the same. Only thing needed to convert them to a .380 is a barrel and magazine. I bought a complete 84B slide assembly, swapped the barrel in my 81BB, bought some factory 84 magazines and everything is gtg.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Awsome. Probably will be something I end up doing. THANKS!
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 7:07:11 AM EDT
[#14]
these damn threads made me order two, though I fell into the classic arms trap. My "very good" pistols looked like they were thrown down a couple driveways and left in a bucket of water. Oh well, we'll see what a little steel wool will do....
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it possible to convert on of these to .380
So, yes. You can put a .380 barrel in any of the .32 guns with just a barrel and mag change (single stacks are the same mags) as all other parts are identical. We recommend against it in the B and pre-B guns because the .380 tends to beat the snot out of the frames, this is, after all why they only made them for a few years. They went to a much heavier slide in the BB and newer as well as a larger diameter guide rod and recoil spring which helps offset the higher slide velocity. If you’re going to do this conversion to an older gun, I’d recommend picking up a 1-2# heavier recoil spring from Wolff and consider changing it every 500-1000 rounds.

FYI, this is what happens using the .380. RESULTS OF SHOOTING .380 W/ LIGHT SLIDE
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So, yes. You can put a .380 barrel in any of the .32 guns with just a barrel and mag change (single stacks are the same mags) as all other parts are identical. We recommend against it in the B and pre-B guns because the .380 tends to beat the snot out of the frames, this is, after all why they only made them for a few years. They went to a much heavier slide in the BB and newer as well as a larger diameter guide rod and recoil spring which helps offset the higher slide velocity. If you're going to do this conversion to an older gun, I'd recommend picking up a 1-2# heavier recoil spring from Wolff and consider changing it every 500-1000 rounds.

FYI, this is what happens using the .380. RESULTS OF SHOOTING .380 W/ LIGHT SLIDE
View Quote
@SchlaffTablett,

Awesome Info.

So if mine is an 81BB, would there be reasonable restrictions on buying an Allegheny threaded .380 barrel and shooting .380 with it (so long as I was careful with the recoil spring)?

And if you have a contact with/work for Allegheny, any chance that those G10 grips will eventually exist in a version closer to the factory grip profile/a non-thinned out version?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So, yes. You can put a .380 barrel in any of the .32 guns with just a barrel and mag change (single stacks are the same mags) as all other parts are identical. We recommend against it in the B and pre-B guns because the .380 tends to beat the snot out of the frames, this is, after all why they only made them for a few years. They went to a much heavier slide in the BB and newer as well as a larger diameter guide rod and recoil spring which helps offset the higher slide velocity. If you’re going to do this conversion to an older gun, I’d recommend picking up a 1-2# heavier recoil spring from Wolff and consider changing it every 500-1000 rounds.

View Quote
Awesome info. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@SchlaffTablett,

Awesome Info.

So if mine is an 81BB, would there be reasonable restrictions on buying an Allegheny threaded .380 barrel and shooting .380 with it (so long as I was careful with the recoil spring)?

And if you have a contact with/work for Allegheny, any chance that those G10 grips will eventually exist in a version closer to the factory grip profile/a non-thinned out version?
View Quote
The BB was the first with the heavier slide and spring so I’d say, aside from keeping an eye on your recoil spring and swapping it with regularity, you should be good to go.

As for the grips, I’m not ruling it out but honestly I don’t know if there is enough demand for a full thickness set to warrant doing them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Visited the AIM "X" I ordered at the store today to start the paperwork.  It looks really good.  Like others have said, my AIM "X" looks better than many "Standard" guns sent by Classic.  It is not as good as my DK Hand Select as it has light rust freckling on the slide and more rust in the slide serrations, but it should buff out nicely (figuratively speaking).  The DK gun only has light speckling on the takedown lever, safety lever and slide stop.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone know of a magazine loader that works for the 81? I bought a new mag from beretta when they were in stock but it is so stiff I can barely get five rounds in. My regular 9mm maglula is slightly too big.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I took my DK Hand Select 81 to the range yesterday and put 100 rounds through it using in included Beretta mag and 2 of the modified Model 84 mags from Robertson.

Here's a not-very-good pic for all you visual types:

I used 3 types of ammo:  RWS/Dynamit Nobel 73 gr ball;  PPU 71 gr ball;  Fiocchi 71 gr ball

I experienced a couple of failures to feed with the RWS ammo, mostly when it was the last round in the mag trying to chamber.  I think 2 stove-piped and 1 was kinda sideways in the ejection port.  I did manage to get through the box of 50 without too much frustration, but it is too bad it wasn't fully reliable.  It felt "hotter" than the other two brands for sure (sharper recoil).  I had bought 500 rounds a while back and this was the last box.

The Fiocchi and Privi/PPU both ran great and were 100% reliable from an ammo perspective.

The 2 modified M84 mags fed ammo just fine (even the RWS).  They ARE a bit hard to load, even with my range only allowing 5 in the mag.  Both of them had a problem with locking back the slide with 1 round still in the mag, though.  One of them did it nearly every time and the other about half the time.  Should be a simple fix to lower the notch for the slide stop just a hair on them.

This gun is a hoot to shoot!  High quality, easy to hold, very light.  I popped off 100 rounds in no time, even though my arms were tired from the other gun I was shooting that day...the Desert Eagle .44 Magnum!  I put 60 rounds through that gun in about an hour, all offhand.  My arms and shoulders were ACHING.  NOT due to recoil...just holding that heavy weight up there for the 5 round strings!  If I'm going to shoot the DE much, I'm going to have to change my lifting regime (OK...START a lifting regime).

Fun times...can't wait to bring home my AIM "Grade X" and take both to the range for some double wielding!  (Not really...not allowed at the range)

Rob
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Wait...

Your range only allows 5 in the mag??????

Really?  

How can you even properly function test any firearm with a restriction like that?
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah

Rob
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow, but I guess not unprecedented, I used to belong to a range that would only allow 8 rounds in a rifle mag, because that is the capacity of an M1 Garand.

In any case I hope you enjoy your 81, they are smooth operating, stylish, and fun little pistols.

Question about that RWS ammo.  It the bullet a flat point by any chance?
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wait...

Your range only allows 5 in the mag??????

Really?  

How can you even properly function test any firearm with a restriction like that?
View Quote
You misunderstood what I said. The new magazine was so tight I could only manage to get 5 rounds in by hand. I didn’t say anything about range round limits whatsoever.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Never had a beretta before, let alone a .32, but these silly things got to me...

Ended up with 2 from classic (both far below the stated grade, I got classic'd), one of which left the stable as a gift. The one I ended up keeping does not reliably reset the trigger/hammer after firing. Not sure if a trigger vs hammer spring needs to be replaced but given the finish, the offset rear sight, and the trigger, this one's hopefully going back.

Ended up grabbing 1 select and 1 standard from AIM and these are much better. BUT, the slide stop on the select seems to want to eject itself. Not a lot of good detail strip video's etc out there for these little guys. Any thoughts? I first noticed this after firing 3-4 rounds, then slide would not lock back.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like a weak or broken slide stop spring, see part 16 on this Numrich exploded view...

The slide stop also serves as the trigger pin.  I have replaced a trigger spring on one of my 81s and it's a fiddly job and will require you make a dummy trigger pin to hold every thing in place while inserting the slide stop.  The slide stop spring is on the side of the frame and not internal to it but to change it you have to pull the pin out, which will drop the trigger, it's spring and the disassembly lever and it's stop button out...  Like I said, a fiddly job.  I work on antique cars so for me it was just a matter of doing it, and being patient.  OH and yeah, the trigger bar has to come off, watch out for it's springs so they don't fly off into the abyss.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

importer sold all the mags to Classic, they get to set the price as they are the only ones with them.
View Quote
I hope they choke on them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
importer sold all the mags to Classic, they get to set the price as they are the only ones with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
need mags DK!  and less than what Classic sells them for.  $20 would be good
My two came in the mail today.  Practically new.  $35 each isn’t cheap but new Beretta factory mags are $50 and the rebuilt 380 mags were $35 as well.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wanted to buy them from AIM, that's pretty shitty of the importer.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I wanted to buy them from AIM, that's pretty shitty of the importer.
View Quote
Classic probably offered more money.  It's business.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Mine look nearly new. I don't have an issue with the price. Many handgun mags command similar or higher prices.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#38]
If anyone is still looking for an 81BB they are at Gander Outdoors for $229.99:

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/used-beretta-81bb-handgun-.32-acp-654235.html?cgid=guns

Link Posted: 12/11/2019 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is frigging BS
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Beretta USA announced on FB they are selling new Model 81 mags for $48.50:

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-81-81b-81bb-81f-81fs-magazine-32-auto-12-rd/c85888/

ETA beat by a month
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#42]
A holiday coupon code would be nice.  Not sure if I am optimistic enough to wait.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Guess I will order my 2 from classic soon
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A holiday coupon code would be nice.  Not sure if I am optimistic enough to wait.
View Quote
Try GIFT35 for 35% off at Beretta's website, free shipping over $75.  Worked for me last night 12/29/19 and the 81 mags were in stock.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Nice Finnish Brewster 239 avatar photo sir.

And thanks for the heads up on the Beretta code.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nice Finnish Brewster 239 avatar photo sir.
View Quote
Here's the unedited pic.  Pilot is packing an FN High Power.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I was able to get out for a bit at my farm and run a box through my 81.  So happy I picked one up.  Great shooting pistols.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 4:41:52 AM EDT
[#48]
I enjoyed those little Beretta .32's so much I bought four of them from AIM, then Beretta had a 25% off coupon for the magazines! Thank you Beretta!
The standard grade ones I received looked almost new. I put a set of wooden grips on one, now it looks really sharp.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 12:36:08 AM EDT
[#50]
I only bought 2.

Rob
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top