Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2017 11:17:30 AM EDT
For years I have been using a Serpa holster for my 92FS. Never had a problem with it but now enough instructors and classes seem to be cracking down on their use, its time for a new one. Im looking for a basic OWB holster for range and class use.

What do you guys use? Anybody use Alien Gear? The Cloak Mod 0 OWB looks good.
http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear-cloak-mod-owb-holster-outside-the-waistband.html

Or they have a package deal where you can get a OWB and IWB at the same time and save some money
http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear-2-holster-combo.html
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#1]
vedderholsters.com
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For years I have been using a Serpa holster for my 92FS. Never had a problem with it but now enough instructors and classes seem to be cracking down on their use, its time for a new one. Im looking for a basic OWB holster for range and class use.

What do you guys use? Anybody use Alien Gear? The Cloak Mod 0 OWB looks good.
http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear-cloak-mod-owb-holster-outside-the-waistband.html

Or they have a package deal where you can get a OWB and IWB at the same time and save some money
http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear-2-holster-combo.html
View Quote

If you havent had an issue or even seen a credible case of an issue why do you care what someone else thinks of your gear??
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Blackhawk Omnivore.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you havent had an issue or even seen a credible case of an issue why do you care what someone else thinks of your gear??
View Quote
Because the instructor will kick you out of the class?

Because it is better to be proactive & eliminate the risk before the law of averages catches up with you?

To answer: go Safariland ALS or GLS, they are cheap & similar form factor. And you still have retention.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Because it is better to be proactive & eliminate the risk before the law of averages catches up with you?

To answer: go Safariland ALS or GLS, they are cheap & similar form factor. And you still have retention.
View Quote
Then your probably better off not taking a class taught by a youtube warrior
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't remember where, but I also heard that some instructors don't like them because you might possibly get your finger on the trigger after hitting the button and unholstering the gun.  It may be a valid concern.  I don't think it's just hack instructors, but I don't really know that for sure.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Then your probably better off not taking a class taught by a youtube warrior
View Quote
Gunsite Academy is run by YouTube warriors? Larry Vickers?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Instructors are not allowing you to participate in class with these holsters. For ~$50, I dont mind making a change.

Quoted:

Thanks. Safariland was the other setup I was looking at.

Quoted:
I can't remember where, but I also heard that some instructors don't like them because you might possibly get your finger on the trigger after hitting the button and unholstering the gun.  It may be a valid concern.  I don't think it's just hack instructors, but I don't really know that for sure.
This is the issue I have seen brought up. My finger has never come close to the trigger on the draw with the Beretta but maybe its different with other guns.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
vedderholsters.com
View Quote
these look nice as well. thanks!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Soley Caadian.  Double layer Kydex holster .  Built solid.  Prices are in Canadian dollars.

http://www.solelycanadian.com/

Take Care

Bob
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Many of my holsters are Blade-Tech. I prefer the carbon fiber model for its looks. Top quality, reasonable price.

For leather, *I* would opt for Bianchi.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

OP, what role are you using this holster for?
Do you need a light weight CCW type holster or are you using a duty /battle belt an want a retention holster?
View Quote
Just range use and training classes. No need for CCW with this one. I really like the look of the Vedder holster and they seem to have good reviews.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:52:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Personally I think the Serpa is perfectly safe as long as the person using it pays attention to what they are doing.  I have one that's mounted on a vest for my Beretta 92 although it's just there for a SHTF type situation so it will probably never get used. That said, it's not my favorite just because I don't like my retention button on the front of my holster where a bad guy can push it.

My current favorite is my 5.11 Thumbdrive but unfortunately they don't make them for anywhere near the number of guns the Serpa does.  Seems like 5.11 could keep that small percentage of folks from shooting themselves if they would just offer their Thumbdrive holster for all the guns that the Serpa does.  I don't have much use these days for an OWB retention holster so I'm probably safe unless I shoot myself in the boob practicing with my vest mounted Serpa lol. Seriously though, the 5.11 Thumbdrive is a really, really good retention holster (as in has a locking feature and not just a fitted Kydex type) if anyone is looking for one.  It's been awhile since I looked at their website so I need to see if they've widened the line to fit more guns.  Check it out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Everyone and their brother has used a 92 with a serpa while in the service, myself included. That doesn't mean its the best choice, or even a good one.

-Nationally recognized (essentially peer reviewed, recognized, and sometimes recommended) instructors have spoken against the Serpa holster's design or banned it from classes.
-Verifiable instances of people shooting themself while drawing from the holster.
-Verifiable instances of the mechanism being jammed by debris, to the point the handgun could not be removed with a normal draw.
-No high level shooters that im aware of choose the Serpa for a holster when shooting OWB retention.

Some might call that a clue. The issues could be a matter of training correctly, but its training opposite of the bodies natural grasp reflex which is harder than some other options for holsters. The amount of training needed to get your pistol out and on target safely is far higher, and still leaves room for error greater than other options. That training could be better spent with a different holster on other aspects of shooting.

My suggestion for an OWB retention holster. I have not used a safariland retention holster, so my suggestion may not carry much weight. However, if i was in the market for a OWB retention holster they would be my choice. Alot of firearms selection, good retention, high level trainers use them, several FAST coin holders have used them proving they can be used to a high level of proficency, and to my knowledge they dont have qc/qa issues. I dont have one to say they are the best ever, but if i was shopping thats what i would buy.

-Cory
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 2:46:17 AM EDT
[#17]
If CCW isn't a concern and you want more than just passive friction retention Safariland is the standard. Bladetech has some sold stuff as well but I'm not familiar with their stuff to recommend a specific model.

I am slowly growing and getting into Safariland's modern stuff following 6-7 years of just running various 6004s for LE/MIL use.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the input guys. I actually ordered the Vedder OWB holster. Seems to have positive reviews everywhere, lifetime warranty and a 30 trial period.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top