Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2017 4:33:27 PM EDT
My current home defense gun in a glock 26 but am considering the 92 for more rounds and DA/SA functionality. I was looking at the PX4 as well but something about the 92 is drawing me to it. Is this a good choice as a home defense pistol? What is a good price on it? I found one for $530 but wasn't sure if this was a good price. There is a gun show in my area next weekend that I am going to and will compare prices there as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The Beretta 92FS / M-9 are excellent self defense guns...

Good enough to be Government Issued Sidearm for many years now.  Battle proven and respected.

You can get the Beretta Factory 17 round mags.  

The M-9 / 92FS goes BANG every time & they are one of THE most accurate pistols on the market.

It shoots rings around my Glocks & M&Ps.

Lots of Parts & Accessories (Holsters, grips, mags, ect...) & Support.  

Only downside is it is tough to mount night sights and no rail to mount a light.

I use a Surefire hand held light and don't feel too hindered in the overall picture.

Upside is I actually like the DA trigger on 1st shot for less chance of being spooked and possible reflex trigger pull resulting in an unplanned shot...
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
My home defense is a 92 A1 so I could mount a light a put fiber optic sights on it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
They are a great choice. Low recoil, full size and a da/sa.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a fan of mine for sure.

Super smooth trigger, low recoil, more accurate than I am by far.

I'd definitely look for a model with a rail, because I strongly believe that a light is a necessity for an HD rig. The other thing I'd look for is one of the more uncommon models with a dovetail front sight, or a factory option better than the stock dot. The 3 red dots on mine are really the one thing I'm not a fan of, and since the front is milled into the slide, I either have to go with super high target sights or ship the whole slide off to Tooltech.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up a 92A1 a couple days ago, and the spare mags from 44mag.com were received today.

It is probably going to end up being my nightstand gun, with Streamlight TLR-2 IRW installed.  Had always liked the M9 I was issued.  Seems as if I am the only one to ever be issued one that wasn't worn out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#7]
You can get a rail adapter called the "Tick" to mount your light/laser.  Works great!
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:06:30 AM EDT
[#8]
The 92 would work but I'd lookefor a 92A1.

As others have mentioned you'd get a rail for a light and the ability to easily mount night sights. I'd consider those 2 things a necessity for a home defense gun.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I love my Beretta 92 FS and I am a big fan of the series.  But I would insist upon a rail for a tactical light for a pistol for home defense

So, 92a1 or a Glock 17
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I would probably go with the Wilson Combat 92G and mount a light to the rail and use a 20rd mag. The Beretta 92A3 is also very nice as well if you have smaller hands, and it's already threaded for a suppressor if you have one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There is a gun show in my area next weekend that I am going to and will compare prices there as well.
View Quote

Usually a good place for a lower price, IMO. Might find a po-po trade-in as well.

Personally, *I* don't want a light on my gun. Should a perp snap a shot at the light, wouldn't he most likely hit the holder as well?  

Don't be afraid of the Checkmate mags either. They can sometimes be found for a little as $10-12 ea & are perfectly reliable.

The 92 series guns are greatly accurate & reliable. Quite possibly one of the best series of guns ever made by one company, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#12]
For a standard 92, get the Recover Tactical grips to mount a light. Carried one for years, it's easier to find a CCW holster for non-railed 92's; lets you switch between carrying the weapon, or using it as a dedicated home defense weapon.

90-Two, 92A1, M9A1... they all work. I prefer the M9A1 for the aesthetics and price, but I don't care whether or not I have night sights when I've got a light.

If you need tritium sights, the 92A1 would be my recommendation, since it accepts standard grips.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#13]
My 92 FS Centurion has held bedside duty for many years. Sits next to a Maglite on the nitestand.
On my belt is a G27, in the basement is a G23 and the Sig is at my sitting spot. Add a few 12 gages
in the mix, living room and garage and I sleep well and feel secure in my home.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My current home defense gun in a glock 26 but am considering the 92 for more rounds and DA/SA functionality. I was looking at the PX4 as well but something about the 92 is drawing me to it. Is this a good choice as a home defense pistol? What is a good price on it? I found one for $530 but wasn't sure if this was a good price. There is a gun show in my area next weekend that I am going to and will compare prices there as well.
View Quote
Both the 92 and the PX4 are excellent.  You should immediately buy one.  

You don't really need a light on your pistol.  Take the $100 you'd have spent on a light and use it to put motion sensing LED night lights throughout your house.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Nah - just get a glock 19 mag and an adapter or even the 12 round Glock 26 mags and call it a day.

Now if you want another pistol - go ahead and get one - but the 26 is and awesome pistol.

What are you selling your 26 for?  I might be interested.....LOL

Red
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#16]
My late 80s police trade in 92F is my pillow gun.  Was a steal at $300.  Cleaned it up a bit and got the barrel threaded so I could keep a suppressor on it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I ended up ordering the 92FS from buds for $470. Cheapest I could find at the LGS and gun show were $590 so it just wasn't close enough to make a local purchase. Anyway, excited to break in a new gun

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
it's easier to find a CCW holster for non-railed 92's; lets you switch between carrying the weapon, or using it as a dedicated home defense weapon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
it's easier to find a CCW holster for non-railed 92's; lets you switch between carrying the weapon, or using it as a dedicated home defense weapon.
One of the reasons I chose the standard 92. I read about other issues too and decided the FS would be the best version for me.

Quoted:

You don't really need a light on your pistol.  Take the $100 you'd have spent on a light and use it to put motion sensing LED night lights throughout your house.
Already have this and a security system:) I've kind of dropped the idea of the light, it doesn't give me an advantage in my house.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Personally, *I* don't want a light on my gun. Should a perp snap a shot at the light, wouldn't he most likely hit the holder as well?  
View Quote
Understand that your situation and mine are probably very different but I am happy with the lights that I have on my handguns.   I was involved in one incident that occurred outside and at night.  I knew something was going on when I went outside but didn't understand the severity until I was in it.   Having the light on the EDC handgun allowed everyone to understand exactly where things stood and may have prevented the situation from escalating further.  Yes, it allowed me to see what was going on but the other guy was also able to see that he had the disadvantage.   So in some ways I may have proven your point but that takes me to the biggest reason that I have lights on my weapons.  

I have kids that are old enough to potentially sneak out (and back in at night).  Having a bad guy shoot at my light is a small price to pay to avoid shooting one of my kids in the dark.   There are a few things worse than dying and shooting a family member is one of them.   Lights allow you to follow one of the most important rules of firearms, "Identify your target and what is beyond it".  

But keep in mind that you don't HAVE to turn the light on.   If you KNOW it is a bad guy in the dark then leave the light off and take care of things.   Options are good.

Most of my handguns that have lights also have lasers.  Since my eyes are older finding the sights, at night, without glasses can be challenging.   Night sights are good but if it is too dark to see the sights then it is probably too dark to identify the target.   Again, I can use the laser if I need it, otherwise I can leave it off.   Again, options are good.  

But YMMV.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have kids that are old enough to potentially sneak out (and back in at night).  Having a bad guy shoot at my light is a small price to pay to avoid shooting one of my kids in the dark.   There are a few things worse than dying and shooting a family member is one of them.   Lights allow you to follow one of the most important rules of firearms, "Identify your target and what is beyond it".  
View Quote
I'm not saying don't have a light. I'm saying don't have a light ON the gun. Carry one in one's weak hand & hold it AWAY from one's body when it is turned on.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree on this, but it seems to me giving a perp a perfect spot to aim at is NOT the best decision to be made, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm not saying don't have a light. I'm saying don't have a light ON the gun. Carry one in one's weak hand & hold it AWAY from one's body when it is turned on.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree on this, but it seems to me giving a perp a perfect spot to aim at is NOT the best decision to be made, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever tried to hit a 300lumen light at close range after it surprised you?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#21]
My home defense gun is a M9A1 with a Surefire X300, and it's been pulling that duty for years. It's a great gun. 
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have you ever tried to hit a 300lumen light at close range after it surprised you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

200 lumens will blind you just as readily.

Why not have a light on the gun... And another light in your hand?

Unpossible!

Lights are good for home defense weapons, you NEED to know if you're shooting a burglar, your wife, or the drunk neighbor kid who stumbled into the wrong house. The light isn't always on, it's got this nifty thingamajig called a switch.

A light on the gun is convenient, means you have a free hand to open doors, brace yourself if you stumble, beat your meat, pick up your infant son, or punch a burglar in the dick. I say this because if I wind up having to wrestle with an intruder in my house, I am going to make it a point to drop to one knee and sock that motherfucker right in the beanbag. Repeatedly. However, this does NOT mean that you can't, or shouldn't have a D-cell maglite in your other hand, because if you're going to hit someone upside the head, it's preferable to use something heavy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

200 lumens will blind you just as readily.

Why not have a light on the gun... And another light in your hand?

Unpossible!

Lights are good for home defense weapons, you NEED to know if you're shooting a burglar, your wife, or the drunk neighbor kid who stumbled into the wrong house. The light isn't always on, it's got this nifty thingamajig called a switch.

A light on the gun is convenient, means you have a free hand to open doors, brace yourself if you stumble, beat your meat, pick up your infant son, or punch a burglar in the dick. I say this because if I wind up having to wrestle with an intruder in my house, I am going to make it a point to drop to one knee and sock that motherfucker right in the beanbag. Repeatedly. However, this does NOT mean that you can't, or shouldn't have a D-cell maglite in your other hand, because if you're going to hit someone upside the head, it's preferable to use something heavy.
View Quote
I am right handed.    But I ALWAYS have a 125 Lumen flashlight in my left, front pocket.   I had too many interesting experiences on a Navy ship to ever be comfortable without a light.   Anyway, in the incident that I was involved in the light on the handgun was far more useful.   My right hand managed the handgun with light and the left hand was free for other purposes.   As far as I know, I am in the clear legally (I am not the victim or the suspect) but it is still working its way through the courts so I am hesitant to provide too much information until the dust has settled.      

2Hut8
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#24]
My new 92 arrived 2 days ago. I cleaned it and spent a day learning to use the weapon as I was new to DA/SA; Ive always had either striker fired pistols or revolvers. Took it to the range today and put down 200 rounds without problems. Gun felt great considering I usually fire pocket sized guns. Very accurate at 25ft (farthest I tried).  I plan to get some factory 17 rd mags but I finally have my home defense pistol!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Congrats.   Sounds like success.  Except you had ONE BIG FAILURE!!!!!!!!  Why do we always have to explain the rulz round here.  

You didn't post pics.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Here ya go! These were taken as I was cleaning it. Also, here is a pic of a el cheapo holster I picked up on amazon.

Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice pistol. Keep it lubed up well and change the recoil spring at regular intervals and it will last you a lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Now start shopping for a D spring conversion and G decocking lever.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#29]
They're in stock at Beretta.

g conversion kit
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#30]
How are the 92s compared to the FS and A1?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
Nice gun. But that holster.

If you want a cheap yet functional holster try one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Don-Hume-JIT-Beretta-Brown/dp/B000STH1SW
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#32]
picked up a used 92A1 several months ago for $490.  Came with Beretta branded crimson trace laser grips.  Had some holster wear.

I really like it.  I have had an Elite II for years.  The 92A1 is now my upstairs gun where the potential engagement distances are the longest possible as much of my first floor is visible from the second floor.  Put a light on it and I can now rain down laser guided hell fire upon my enemy from the second floor.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:36:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I use a Beretta 92A1 for one of my home defense guns, it's my "bedroom" gun. I'm a big believer in lights and lasers on my defensive handguns whenever it's possible so I mounted a SureFire X400 on it.  I also installed the "D" spring which makes a big difference and definitely improves the shootability of these guns.  The grips are pretty big on these guns but the Hogue wraparound makes it much easier for me to hold it.  I also keep it loaded with the 20 round extended mag for a few more just in case the factory 17's weren't enough.  I honestly love this gun, especially after installing the D spring, it is extremely accurate and easy to shoot accurately which isn't the case with all accurate handguns.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/X1UrME]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:04:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How are the 92s compared to the FS and A1?
View Quote
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 92S doesn't use the 92FS mags?

Aside from that, they're close to being the same gun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Wife and I both use them. That's what she is most comfortable shooting. We've got one in her nightstand and one in the library. Truth in lending my nightstand gun is a 1911.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 92S doesn't use the 92FS mags?

Aside from that, they're close to being the same gun.
View Quote
You are sort of wrong.

They use the same magazine if the mag has the notch cutout at the bottom of the magazine like the one below. The 92S uses a heel mag release so it has to have that cutout to latch. It is very easy to find mags with that cutout however milspec mags do not.

Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My new 92 arrived 2 days ago. I cleaned it and spent a day learning to use the weapon as I was new to DA/SA; Ive always had either striker fired pistols or revolvers. Took it to the range today and put down 200 rounds without problems. Gun felt great considering I usually fire pocket sized guns. Very accurate at 25ft (farthest I tried).  I plan to get some factory 17 rd mags but I finally have my home defense pistol!
View Quote
You want Mecgar mags. Either the 18 or the 20 rounders . Gregcotellc.com has them in stock at a good price .
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#38]
I also use a 92 for a home defense gun. 

Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You want Mecgar mags. Either the 18 or the 20 rounders . Gregcotellc.com has them in stock at a good price .
View Quote
My main stockpile of 92 mags is the factory 17 round mags the 92A1 comes with, and MecGar 18 round mags. Both have been trouble free. The Beretta mags feel like they have slightly stiffer springs. For what it’s worth. 
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My main stockpile of 92 mags is the factory 17 round mags the 92A1 comes with, and MecGar 18 round mags. Both have been trouble free. The Beretta mags feel like they have slightly stiffer springs. For what it’s worth. 
View Quote
Strange that they would feel that way since Mecgar makes the factory mag . Might be that the follower slides easier in the coated Mecgar mags .
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Strange that they would feel that way since Mecgar makes the factory mag . Might be that the follower slides easier in the coated Mecgar mags .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don’t think it’s the coating as the blued Beretta mags feel more slick to the touch. It could just be a slight variance in mag body dimension. I think the MecGar mags are slightly longer to get that one extra round in there. 
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Alright, so I figured out why the Beretta mag spring is stiffer. It’s longer. Also the 17 round Beretta mag is about 2mm longer than the MecGar 18. 

Don't mind the dirty garage floor. 

Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MecGar does not make the factory magazines. Beretta subsidiary MDS does.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#45]
My WC Brigadier came with the Beretta sand resistant mags . Very nice .
If you want Beretta factory mags then order right from Beretta . Sign up for their emails and get a 15% off coupon .
Right now the 17 round sand resistant mags are $34.00 for 3 or more with free shipping . That's without the coupon .
Regular 17 round mags are $28.00 .
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:09:45 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a few options for a Beretta night stand gun but lately my M9 with the old school Surefire P116 has been pulling that duty. The older Surefire isn't super bright but it is plenty of light to get the job done. The weight of that older light is enough that recoil and muzzle rise are next to nothing when firing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My WC Brigadier came with the Beretta sand resistant mags . Very nice .
If you want Beretta factory mags then order right from Beretta . Sign up for their emails and get a 15% off coupon .
Right now the 17 round sand resistant mags are $34.00 for 3 or more with free shipping . That's without the coupon .
Regular 17 round mags are $28.00 .
View Quote
Thanks for tip. I went ahead and got a few 17 rounders from beretta and got a free speed loader in addition to the 15% off although I already had one that fit the beretta mags.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Kind of a side note, each one of my Beretta factory mags, I can fit 16 rounds in them all.  Weird.  I'm not sure I could do 16 and then actually seat it, but nevertheless, 16 fit in them.  Obviously I'm talking about the 15 round mags.  Which is why I'm making a note of it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:11:29 AM EDT
[#49]
My guest pillow gun is my old 92F.  I actually keep the safety on.  Flipping it off should fully wake me.  No light.  My nightstand gun is my Glock 21 with a light.

Link Posted: 9/29/2017 4:13:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Kind of a side note, each one of my Beretta factory mags, I can fit 16 rounds in them all.  Weird.  I'm not sure I could do 16 and then actually seat it, but nevertheless, 16 fit in them.  Obviously I'm talking about the 15 round mags.  Which is why I'm making a note of it.
View Quote
Don't do that. Springs (or at least, good springs) won't retain a set when compressed within their intended design range. Beyond that, yes, they will.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top