Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2017 5:14:37 PM EDT
Here it is:

I got it this past week and took it out to shoot for the first time today. I didn't hit worth a crap with it , but I hit better with it than I did my P320 subcompact, which wasn't a high bar to meet (I was getting 4-6 inch groups at 15 yards standing unsupported, as opposed to the foot and a half groups I was getting with the P320 subcompact).  It's a very smooth shooter for sure, no recoil to speak of.  To be fair, I was shooting fairly cheap ammo in it...some handloads I'd made a while back that proved to be a really crappy load accuracy wise that I was just shooting up.  Also shot some Blazer.  Better ammo would likely help grouping some.

I set it on a rest and at 15 yards it was printing about 2 to 2.5 inches, so I know the gun is capable.  Nut behind the trigger needs more practice  Liking it so far, might change the grips out to something with more palm swell.  Also, going to start looking for a training class.  Never had any formal handgun training and I think this would be a good time to consider it.

I think it's going to be my favorite 9mm handgun I've ever shot.  1911s and well tuned revolvers have spoiled me and I've had a hard time finding a double stack 9 that agreed with me, but I'm really liking this one so far.  Really love the da/sa decocker set up too.  Grip is comfortable except not quite enough palm swell for me.  Aftermarket grips should solve that.  Been looking at the VZ palm swell grips.

It looks like it's going to make a fine range blaster.  I'm liable to try to carry it too.  I am, at times, a glutton for punishment.

Not trying to start a handgun argument, but after shooting this, I don't know how anybody could actually want to shoot a Glock.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice gun. It's not a 92FS though. It is an M9 and no they are not the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both Glock and Beretta 92 . Only thing alike  is the 9 mm caliber .The 92 is a good choice though and congrats on you getting one .
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Right on!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice gun. It's not a 92FS though. It is an M9 and no they are not the same thing.
View Quote
So it is.  I was not aware there was any difference, I always thought M9 was just the army's designation for the 92fs.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So it is.  I was not aware there was any difference, I always thought M9 was just the army's designation for the 92fs.
View Quote
Some slight differences but essentially the same gun. Good score.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I love mine as well. I went with Hogue G10 checkered grips.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I love mine
it will shoot any ammo I throw in it.

I shoot my SR9 better but it's pickier about ammo
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:41:01 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, get a kydex holster & go shoot some USPSA matches. Listen to the advice given to you by the better shooters. Watch the top tier guys & how they grip their guns. Try to find something that might make you a better shooter.

I also would look at getting a Wolff gun spring kit. Reduced power mainspring, new recoil spring, etc are all included in the kit. These average around $15 or so, so it's not a big investment but you get a big return.

I tend to bump up my recoil spring rating by 2lbs or so when I change the OEM spring. I tend to not shoot light loads & want to protect my gun(s) as much as possible. The OEM spring is rated for loads across the spectrum. My apologies if you already knew this.

Don't be afraid of the oil. The gun will sling off any excess & I've found 92's really run well when wet.

Mine shoots POA with 124gr ammo, shoots high with 115gr stuff regardless of mfgr.

My holster of choice for USPSA is a Blade-Tech carbon fiber.

Enjoy the gun!  
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Unfortunately there is no one shooting USPSA locally. Best I can probably do is a local training company.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I assume "new to me" means it was a used gun. If so, that looks like it is in very good shape.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I assume "new to me" means it was a used gun. If so, that looks like it is in very good shape.
View Quote
The owner of the LGS I bought it from said it had less than 500 rounds through it. Previous owner bought it there new but is the sort of person who tries something briefly then trades in for something else. So it is used...just not much.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Shot it again today and did much better. Altered my grip a bit and I'm definitely sure now that Palm swell grips will help.

I benched it for 10 shots and at 15 yards it was stacking them into almost one hole.

With a different grip I'm hitting way better. Sights do appear to be off a bit. Shooting high and left at 15 yards. High I don't care a lot about. I can use a 6 o'clock hold to fix that. The left, I'll want to adjust that.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:27:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I have often claimed I don't much care for the Beretta, but here I am in the Beretta forum, and a brace of them in the safe.

Congratulations

They are really a well built, reliable, and accurate gun. Sadly for me, they are neither a 1911 nor a revolver. Both guns I seem to be a natural with. I had grand ideas about turning an M9 into a bullseye gun, but I have found they are really a gun I have to work a lot with to shoot well. I still think of it as a usurper, but I don't really hate.

Consider a D mainspring. It will lighten the da pull, as well as the sa a bit.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have often claimed I don't much care for the Beretta, but here I am in the Beretta forum, and a brace of them in the safe.

Congratulations

They are really a well built, reliable, and accurate gun. Sadly for me, they are neither a 1911 nor a revolver. Both guns I seem to be a natural with. I had grand ideas about turning an M9 into a bullseye gun, but I have found they are really a gun I have to work a lot with to shoot well. I still think of it as a usurper, but I don't really hate.

Consider a D mainspring. It will lighten the da pull, as well as the sa a bit.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3003/SAM-0411-239797.JPG
View Quote
Drop an E2 hammer in it and then you can go down to a #12 or #13 hammer spring if you only plan on using it on the range. The 12 lb hammer spring is 4 lbs lighter than the D hammer spring. There is also some polishing you can do to the sear and hammer that will further smooth and lighten things up. Look into the short reach trigger and a set of VZ slim grips to help help with the feel of the gun. This can all be done for about $100-$125 in parts with the grips being the most exspensive part. An adjustable rear sight will help as well.

Maybe even check out the Beretta Vertec. It has a flat backstrap like a 1911. Plus it comes with a stainless steel barrel and dovetail front and rear sights.

Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Congratulations OP on a fine pistol, looks like an M9 to me.  I carried an M9 in the Marines and I will be honest it took me some getting used to shooting with it because we didn't really get to shoot them much.  I own a 92fs and I love it, it is a tack driver.  Be safe, have fun and happy shooting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Congrats on the M9 (as other's have pointed out) OP.  

I had a Beretta 92FS years ago, but sold it because I didn't know how to shoot it well, blamed the gun and sold it to raise money for other firearms.

This past winter I was sitting at home watching Die Hard and had the urge to get my yipee-ka-yay on, even though I remembered how much I hated my first one.  I started to look in EE (CGN) and found an incredible deal on a previously enjoyed, but unfired 92FS for about $700 (about 540 USD).  

I know, doesn't sound like a fantastic deal, but it came with 5 factory magazines and the previous owner threw in (without telling me previously) a holster, some sort of Gerber knife and a few Pink Floyd T shirts that were 3 sizes too big for me, lol!

Out of the box, this 92FS shot way better than my first one.  

I did the SRT trigger and hammer spring and found it helped a bit more:

Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Congrats on the M9 (as other's have pointed out) OP.  

I had a Beretta 92FS years ago, but sold it because I didn't know how to shoot it well, blamed the gun and sold it to raise money for other firearms.

This past winter I was sitting at home watching Die Hard and had the urge to get my yipee-ka-yay on, even though I remembered how much I hated my first one.  I started to look in EE (CGN) and found an incredible deal on a previously enjoyed, but unfired 92FS for about $700 (about 540 USD).  

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TWefIznrQwk/WHR15rwjQeI/AAAAAAAAlz8/EvipM0VqEwkVB4aiUncEbuEg6_omViyswCPcB/s1600/P1093782.JPG

I know, doesn't sound like a fantastic deal, but it came with 5 factory magazines and the previous owner threw in (without telling me previously) a holster, some sort of Gerber knife and a few Pink Floyd T shirts that were 3 sizes too big for me, lol!

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZB6Ky65O-wA/WHR15q04mOI/AAAAAAAAlz8/dGZ8cvtQoO8__x2lVstYorIpL2l8nApxgCPcB/s1600/P1093790.JPG

Out of the box, this 92FS shot way better than my first one.  

I did the SRT trigger and hammer spring and found it helped a bit more:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-j4G___qBLTM/WJVCdPZaNWI/AAAAAAAAmFA/vzqPcUKybm0EEj-2lKDYm6KG54sTnEBTACPcB/s1600/P2034120.JPG

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YRHu9laXIWc/WJVCdEXJvuI/AAAAAAAAmFA/h0O-2ToAViAIHzxw9UnHG6QYPczuO-JwQCPcB/s1600/P2034180.JPG
View Quote
That is a nice score. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a love/hate relationship.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Congrats op that's a slick m9! I've got a couple 92s and have been shooting them a lot more lately, such a superb pistol. D spring and some 17 or 18 round flush mags and you're in business. I have found that mine also prefer 124 grain rounds but 115 don't shoot bad at all. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice looking pistol. The others have pretty much covered all the add on parts, mine only has the "D" spring and it did wonders. The 92fs is last pistol I would ever get rid of. It is very accurate,recoil is next to nil and it feeds everything without any issues. Good choice.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Now you got the 92, you'll want the little brother 85 and 70 series guns.

My 85f is waiting at my ffl now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top