Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2017 4:31:04 PM EDT
Well, after having my new to me 92S to the range a couple of times, and measuring it's SA trigger pull at 6.5 pounds, and it's DA at, well, off the scale of my old RCBS spring type trigger gauge, I decided that needed to change.  The obvious thing to do is to install Beretta's D main spring.

But I'm never one to do the obvious, and besides they are out of stock, so I did some researching and came across a couple of posts in various forums about using a Competition main spring from a 1911 in the 92 series.

I ordered a 5 pack from Ed Brown...

the shorter of the two springs in the Ed Brown part, and the longer of course is the original out of my 92S.

WOW!

What a difference, even more than the numbers would suggest.

I measured the SA pull at 5.25 pounds, and the DA at 8 pounds with the new spring in place.   Even if the absolute accuracy of my gauge is off, that is still a significant improvement.  The DA pull now comes close to rivaling my benchmark for semi-auto pistols, the Walther P5.  The only question was reliable ignition, so I went to the range this afternoon to verify function.

Fired 100 rounds of Federal Aluminum 115gr ball, 100 rounds of GECO 115gr. ball, and 50 rounds of MEN 124 gr. ball with no issues what so ever. And it sure made a difference in my comfort level, and accuracy.

Best cheap update I've ever done to a pistol.

Now I need to work on those teeny tiny sights...

Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well, after having my new to me 92S to the range a couple of times, and measuring it's SA trigger pull at 6.5 pounds, and it's DA at, well, off the scale of my old RCBS spring type trigger gauge, I decided that needed to change.  The obvious thing to do is to install Beretta's D main spring.

But I'm never one to do the obvious, and besides they are out of stock, so I did some researching and came across a couple of posts in various forums about using a Competition main spring from a 1911 in the 92 series.

I ordered a 5 pack from Ed Brown...

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/9633/92nmnV.jpg

the shorter of the two springs in the Ed Brown part, and the longer of course is the original out of my 92S.

WOW!

What a difference, even more than the numbers would suggest.

I measured the SA pull at 5.25 pounds, and the DA at 8 pounds with the new spring in place.   Even if the absolute accuracy of my gauge is off, that is still a significant improvement.  The DA pull now comes close to rivaling my benchmark for semi-auto pistols, the Walther P5.  The only question was reliable ignition, so I went to the range this afternoon to verify function.

Fired 100 rounds of Federal Aluminum 115gr ball, 100 rounds of GECO 115gr. ball, and 50 rounds of MEN 124 gr. ball with no issues what so ever. And it sure made a difference in my comfort level, and accuracy.

Best cheap update I've ever done to a pistol.

Now I need to work on those teeny tiny sights...

View Quote

Interesting. Do you know the actual weight of this hammer spring?

I would recommend at least 1,000 rounds on that hammer spring before I fully trusted it. I tried a #13 hammer spring in my 92A1 it made a huge difference in the trigger feel however after about 700 rounds I started getting ignition issues. It started with one every 100 rounds or so but soon I was getting light primer strikes every 25-30 rounds. I went back to the #14 hammer spring and in 3000 rounds I haven't had a single light primer strike. As a rule now I won't go lower than a #16 or D hammer spring with the standard 92 hammer and I won't go lower than the #14 hammer spring with the E2 hammer. I have heard people who are using the new Wilson Combat hammer having problems with light strikes with the #12 and #13 hammer springs so I don't think I would go lower than a #14 with that hammer either.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]
They call it 19 pounds.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Many years ago in the 90's when beretta became the in thing a bunch of guys bought them and they shot great they then did the same mod ( with some mag article at the time claiming army sf was doing this) and click Bang click click bang bang click etc cropped up. If the gun works as is man up and learn how to shoot it instead of looking for a trick.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Many years ago in the 90's when beretta became the in thing a bunch of guys bought them and they shot great they then did the same mod ( with some mag article at the time claiming army sf was doing this) and click Bang click click bang bang click etc cropped up. If the gun works as is man up and learn how to shoot it instead of looking for a trick.
View Quote
There is no question that improving the trigger will also improve down range accuracy. The 20lb standard used by the 92 comes from a time when some 9mm ammo had very hard primers and a 20lb hammer spring pretty much guaranteed 100% ignition. I do not believe with modern 9mm ammo the 20lb standard hammer spring is needed any longer. The 16lb D hammer spring has proven to be 100% reliable with the standard 92 series hammer. Beretta is currently selling the M9A3 with the "D" 16lb hammer spring. Through my own testing I have found the lighter Elite II hammer to be reliable with the 16lb D and 14lb hammer springs as well. If you are getting 100% ignition with a lighter hammer spring there is no excuse to continue to use a heavier hammer spring and handicap yourself. Just because something works as is, doesn't mean it can't also be improved and work better. While I question the reliability of the OPs mod and wonder why it is better than just buying a lighter hammer spring made for the Beretta as Wolff sells hammer springs ranging in weight from 12lbs up to 20lbs, I appreciate him trying something new. The Beretta 92 series pistol has progressed and been made better with mods. I only hope this trend continues and buyers don't settle for good enough.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems ASININE enough!  Beretta makes a FACTORY "D" Hammer Spring, assuring 100%  reliability, and the damn thing ONLY costs less than $10 shipped!  You keep monkeying with antiquated 1911 parts, that's the ticket!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#6]
As I said, no failures to ignite, and your "man up" comment belongs in GD, not in a tech forum.

This is a range gun in any case, so if it fails at the range I simply pull another pistol and continue and then go home and tinker some more on the Beretta.

And yes, there is no excuse for a 6.5 pound SA and unmeasurable DA trigger in the 21st. century.

Antiquated 1911 parts?

Sir, a spring is a spring.  I didn't take a spring from Mr. Brownings prototype you know.
and if you had read with comprehension you would have seen that the D spring is currently out of stock, and as I have a 1911 as well, I picked up these.

So much angst over a simple spring change.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As I said, no failures to ignite, and your "man up" comment belongs in GD, not in a tech forum.

This is a range gun in any case, so if it fails at the range I simply pull another pistol and continue and then go home and tinker some more on the Beretta.

And yes, there is no excuse for a 6.5 pound SA and unmeasurable DA trigger in the 21st. century.

Antiquated 1911 parts?

Sir, a spring is a spring.  I didn't take a spring from Mr. Brownings prototype you know.
and if you had read with comprehension you would have seen that the D spring is currently out of stock, and as I have a 1911 as well, I picked up these.

So much angst over a simple spring change.
View Quote
Midwest gun works has both the D spring and the WC (made by wolff), #16 spring in stock. MGW is an authorized Beretta parts dealer.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/beretta-92-parts/WC-721CS-16

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/beretta-92-parts/UD99001
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually prefer the Ed Brown 1911 mainspring to the Beretta D spring, and have had zero issues with it failing to ignite even M882. My "carry" 92 has a D spring as I prefer anything I might need to use for social work to have a factory part # (Glock - connector, Beretta D spring, etc, etc) and be installed by a certified armorer. I first heard about the 1911 mainspring swap as a military armorer, where curiously it was not attributed to SF, but was supposedly a common mod performed by LAPD armorers before they joined the Glock horde...
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I run a 14lb mainspring in my 92a1 and have had 100% ignition with American made primers .
I think the D spring is 16lbs .
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I run a 14lb mainspring in my 92a1 and have had 100% ignition with American made primers .
I think the D spring is 16lbs .
View Quote
Are you using the E2 hammer or the factory standard hammer?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:21:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you using the E2 hammer or the factory standard hammer?
View Quote
Factory hammer .
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I have no complaints with the spring install, especially if its just a range gun. Just make sure you run the hell out of it and let us know if it has issues.  

I do have one complaint though...pics of the springs but none of the gun. Fix this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Now that you've done this basic work on a DA/SA pistol you should begin to understand why striker fired pistols are superior. There's just too many parts in a hammer gun and I especially hate working on the hammer springs. It is interesting that a 1911 spring works so well though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Not as cheap as a 5 pack of 1911 springs, I'm sure, but I just ordered 2 Factory Beretta D springs from brownells for $11.98 + shipping.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not going to criticize your decision but I would rather have the D spring, they are cheap enough.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:01:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Now that you've done this basic work on a DA/SA pistol you should begin to understand why striker fired pistols are superior. There's just too many parts in a hammer gun and I especially hate working on the hammer springs. It is interesting that a 1911 spring works so well though.
View Quote
This is pure nonsense. Both hammer fired and striker fired systems have their pros and cons. Neither system is superior or inferior.

Why do you especially hate working on hammer springs. They are one of the simplest things to change out in every hammer fired gun I have ever used.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Now that you've done this basic work on a DA/SA pistol you should begin to understand why striker fired pistols are superior.
View Quote
Striker pistols are for those whom have no souls...........

Real men use hammers & tinker with their guns.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I owned one of the very first G 17s sold in this area. Have had two other Glocks, and currently own 4 striker fired Walther pistols.
Also have revolvers, several DA/SA semi autos from various manufacturers, and a couple of traditional hammer fired single action semis.

This isn't my first rodeo.

Neither system is superior to the other.  

Just different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top