Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a Glock guy but was very impressed with the APX.  I'll buy one when Beretta comes out with a compact APX.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I am looking for a platform to replace my Glocks and APX was on my list.  I really like my VP9 but you can tell its a consumer grade pistol (which H&K will confirm) and MAC's reliability testing has pretty much confirmed that.  He has run two of the guns through his "formal" routine and they performed very poorly.  I know what he does is not an exact science, but I believe them to be directionally correct now that you can compare against plenty of other guns he has tested.

The APX did pretty well on those tests and I was able to pickup a used one in mint condition for $400 plus tax at LGS.  It shoots good enough and I do like how it feels in your hands.  I was ready to buy another to take advantage of the rebate as I needed mags and a holster anyway, but I changed my mind.

Negatives:
Firing pin block on top will complicate mounting an optic, will be interesting to see what Beretta does in future models

Giant trigger guard, makes reaching the light controls on a mounted light difficult unless you have giant fingers.  Can we stop designing guns for use with mukluks, if we ever have to fight terrorists in the arctic circle (6 wilding extras from GoT???), we can equip the Seal Team Six with some custom guns.

Duty size dimensions from the early 90s, this is one of the beefiest polymer pistols since the USP series.  Its a wide gun and combined with the trigger guard size, I don't expect the compact to be well suited to IWB carry.

Take down for field stripping is a bit goofy, but you can learn it.

Magazines, my biggest gripe.  The mags are hard to load, the edges are sharp.  The locking lug is on the front which can cause issues fitting into many mag pouches.  And the round count indicators don't line up very well to the actual round count.  Why they didn't standardize with Beretta 92 mags is beyond me since they are better on all counts.  I know they wanted to bring in extra revenue by selling mags but the striker fired market is so competitive right now they could have really used this as a selling point.  Plus I am amazed they didn't use 92 magazines as a selling point to the US Govt for the recent contract.  I know it doesn't make much of a difference in the military budget, but it makes a great bullet point on a PowerPoint slide.

Anyway, I am going to try the M2.0 from S&W.  I had a first gen a while back and really liked it after I put on some APEX parts.  Plus the M2.0 seems much improved on MACs reliability testing.  It also has a much clear path to compacts both double stack and single stack.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine arrived yesterday and I picked it up today. Ran it though my drills with both the medium and large size backstraps. Large feels better to me, it shoots the same either way in my hands. I have to say, for me it points very naturally, it shoots okay, seems like the trigger needs breaking in, but it hammers into the black at 10 yards just fine. Ate all ammo as expected.

The recoil felt funny, almost like there was a longer delay before the shove, but it cycled quickly. There is enough heft in the gun to shoot it all day, which is not something I expected from a polymer pistol.

As stated, IWB is a non starter for most, but I am sure it'll go away like most duty guns in a pancake holster.

It's somewhere between "pretty good" and "good" for me. I'll run it in 3gun for a while and maybe IDPA when some extra mags come in.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, when I saw APX I thought you meant the radio.

Learned something new today!  
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Had zero interest in this gun, but picked up a used one at a good price, and find that I like it more than I'd expected. It's not exceptional in any single regard, but is simply one of those firearms that comes together as more than the sum of its parts. Trigger feels like a Glock with a nicer shoe and shorter, if less pronounced, reset. Sights are functional. Ergos and balance are reminiscent of the Steyr M series. Mechanically it is quite simple. Changeable frames are largely a gimmick to me, but Beretta didn't allow that characteristic to raise the bore axis here, which is nice.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had zero interest in this gun, but picked up a used one at a good price, and find that I like it more than I'd expected. It's not exceptional in any single regard, but is simply one of those firearms that comes together as more than the sum of its parts. Trigger feels like a Glock with a nicer shoe and shorter, if less pronounced, reset. Sights are functional. Ergos and balance are reminiscent of the Steyr M series. Mechanically it is quite simple. Changeable frames are largely a gimmick to me, but Beretta didn't allow that characteristic to raise the bore axis here, which is nice.
View Quote
It's where I am at with the APX too. Unremarkable but for its competent execution. Plus free stuff.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a Glock guy but was very impressed with the APX.  I'll buy one when Beretta comes out with a compact APX.
View Quote
same here---
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I haven't been able to put my new to me APX down! Every tuesday(range day)my AUG and my APX are in the hoopty with me!

If/when they bring out a compact I may partake or maybe I'll save up for a threaded barrel. After beretta has their Black Friday sale and I score about five or so 20/21 rd mags.

Thanks TXPO.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm looking forward to the compact as well as the pricing for just the slide.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top