Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2017 9:24:24 AM EDT
Are there any legit military issues M9s in civilian circulation?  Has Beretta ever sold contract over runs or has there ever been any surpluses? Have other nations ever surplused their variant (not 92S)?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a few. As I recall before Beretta began offering the commercial M9s fir public sale an issue arose where Army reservist competitors weren't allowed to compete with the technically identical 92FS in service pistol competition (as the "92FS" isn't the issue service pistol), so Beretta sold them "real" M9s... I believe these were pulled off the M9 production line and were indistinguishable from the military issue ones. There were also some limited edition M9s released for commercial sale before BUSA started selling the commercial M9 as a standard item, but I'm not sure the limited edition ones were any different than the commercial M9s sold today as far as going through military acceptance testing, magnafluxing, etc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
This one was given to me in 1991 IIRC.

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as usgi issue guns legitimately released some how from the government into civilian hands?
Very very few for sure.
The guns mentioned in the above posts ( the reserve team guns m9 civilian production guns and various commemoratives) never were truly military issue and with the possible exception of the reserve team guns had a different type of serial number than the military guns.
Rumor ( not sure 100%) has it some very early m9's were sold to police agencies but again those were never in military hands to start with.
There is a program where the military provides surplus equipment including guns to police agencies which could allow at some point ( not now as the m9 is still the standard issue hand gun but if the sig replacement t actually happens) some could be issued out this way, and despite seeing some military gear hit the market that I suspect came from this program, the rules of the program from a legal standpoint are that the weapons are loaned to the police and expected to be returned to the military.
The one absolute military issue m9 that could be in. Circulation?
- general officers are issued a pistol with GO in the serial number ( even though otherwise it is a standard issue m9) and upon retirement are offered the option to purchase the pistol from the government. You see one or two of these come up for sale every year. Expect huge money.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
It would be nice if we could get the M9s turned over to the CMP for sale. I cringe to think what will happen to all those M9s once they are out of service. A rehabilitated M9 would be an excellent choice for a marksmanship program.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Considering how modern the m9 is if the sig finally does replace the m9 ( which will take years- some reserve units did not get m9's to replace 1911's or revolvers for 10-12 years after the beretta was adopted) i suspect like some 1911's, many garands carbines and m14's will be given away as foreign military aid to third world countries long before there is even the slightest chance of them ever being released for civilian sale through a CMP program. The idea was leaked like 4 years ago that the CMP was going to get 1911's to sell and that still has. It happened.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Given the difficulties the CMP has apparently had with getting even WW1/2 handguns back into civilian hands I would say the chances of "military grade high capacity handguns" (you know that's what the headlines and gun control groups will say about them) being sold back to the public are essentially zero. UNLESS they can make a permanent change to the CMP charter for the 1911s that will also allow the M9s without any additional action from congress.

Like it or not people aren't doing drivebys with garands, but a 15 round handgun is a different story. Too much politics I think.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Mines is a USGI issue.

Officers above a Col. can purchase their pistols, its taken out of their paycheck and there is a form for it. Its from the Rock Island Arsenal.

Mines came from a major general California National Guard, his family were a bunch of fucken commie scum muslim hippies.

The general is a Palestinian who came here before the 67 war and was drafted and made it a career.

yes...a palestinian Christian...

I picked it up at the estate sale .....came with a belt setup and holster....

really sad...

also has the Crimson Trace laser grips with US logo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top