Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 2:51:33 PM EDT
I have been hearing rumors that the quality of Sig Sauer pistols has been droping lately esp. since the introduction of the rails. I have heard that some law enforcement agencies are starting to trade their's in for Glocks. I have also heard that they are exhibiting extensive wear after just a few hundred rounds and multiple parts breakages. Can anyone provide some feedback on this? Anyone have any of the new production rail pistols who have experienced this? If you guys have one which as had at least 5 or 6 hundred rounds through it I'd love to see some pics of your frames.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a new P220R that I had to replace the mainspring on due to it only firing on DA. The insides looked like it had been fired alot and when I compared it to a friend new P226R his looked the same if not worse. He tried to take his back because he thought it was used but the dealer pulled several new ones off the shelf and they all looked the same. My P220R wouldn't lock the slide back after the last shot except on the old style 7rd mags. My old W. German 15yr old P220 is totally reliable and never ever had a problem with it. If I want a railed gun I'll buy a Glock.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#2]
My latest Sig, a P229R DAK seems as well made as any Sig I've ever owned. I only have around 100 rounds through it so far but it doesn't seem to be wearing at an accellerated rate. I love the DAK trigger, too. Super sweet shooter. I wish my department would go from Glocks to Sig P229R's with the DAK trigger.

All manufacturers have problems. I think Sig is as reliable as anything made. They've lost nothing in my eyes, except for the pot metal slide on the Mosquito...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Remember, over a year ago, their 1911s had a ton of problems. As far as I know, that has been taken care of.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife just bought a new Sig 229 with the tactical rail and it seems to be as well made as the Sig 229 I recently sold which I had owned for 10 years or so.  At any rate, it was a pre-ban gun with standard capacity mags stock.  I'm a machinist (We make airplane parts as well as stuff for the firearms industry) and I have always been impressed with the quality of the machining on the sig pistols.  If you're worried buy a CPO pistol.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Ive been waiting almost 7wks now for a safety switch for my Mosquito. Initially they didnt have them in green and when I called back after a couple weeks for status told them black would do. They implied that black was indeed available. I wait another 4wks and am told they have no record of my request for a safety switch. This time though the customer service person walks back and grabs one promising to mail it right away.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ive been waiting almost 7wks now for a safety switch for my Mosquito. Initially they didnt have them in green and when I called back after a couple weeks for status told them black would do. They implied that black was indeed available. I wait another 4wks and am told they have no record of my request for a safety switch. This time though the customer service person walks back and grabs one promising to mail it right away.

Now that sucks... but customer service pretty much sucks everywhere these days... Good luck on gettin' yer skeeter back up and running soon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#7]
OK...now for an update. I called SIG back on Thurs (evening their time) and spoke w/ someone in customer service (Lynne). I explained how long I had been waiting and asked for an update. Short story is they had NO record of my request. HOWEVER, she walked back to the gunsmithing area, grabbed a black safety switch and promised to send it straight away. She indicated that I should expect it mid week (this coming week). I was surprised to find it along w/ some freebies inc'ing a new Mosquito mag in the mail pile last night! Awesome...Im glad they did the right thing and got it out w/o delay. I do appreciate the new mag but just getting my weapon back into working order was enough. My hats off to Lynne and the extra effort she put out to get my request completed...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OK...now for an update. I called SIG back on Thurs (evening their time) and spoke w/ someone in customer service (Lynne). I explained how long I had been waiting and asked for an update. Short story is they had NO record of my request. HOWEVER, she walked back to the gunsmithing area, grabbed a black safety switch and promised to send it straight away. She indicated that I should expect it mid week (this coming week). I was surprised to find it along w/ some freebies inc'ing a new Mosquito mag in the mail pile last night! Awesome...Im glad they did the right thing and got it out w/o delay. I do appreciate the new mag but just getting my weapon back into working order was enough. My hats off to Lynne and the extra effort she put out to get my request completed...

Another positive final outcome with Sigarms CS. I will probably go ahead and pick up a Mosquito soon. I'll chance the odd problem since there's no apparent reason to believe Sig won't take care of it. It's not like I'll be counting on it as a carry gun.

Thanks for the follow-up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#10]
My 2005 P220ST would not work new out of the box. Mag catch will not engage.
This shouldn't have happened in the first place.
I bought a brand new Sig P2009. Sure enough, rust inside firing control. Come on, it's a freakin new gun! I guess they didn't Store In Grease.

I heard all good things about how Sig will reimburse you for shipping and how great their CS. I asked nicely about it but that didn't go anywhere. It took me BBB to get them to shell out the dough to fix their mistake.

They have been having massive government orders to fill and it could be that some days they are rushing the guns out quicker than they should

HK also won a contract for their P2000, but I picked up a new one in December, still top notch quality. Never a problem with my HK.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Sig 229 DAK that is 2 years old and I have never had a single failure.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a sig P226R about 6 months ago, no problem.  Just as smooth as my 92 P226 and my 90 P220.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a Sig 229 DAK that is 2 years old and I have never had a single failure.

I thought the DAK trigger was just released late '05/early '06???
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It could be true that since SiG transfered production to the US (all rail frames are made in the US) that they might have some difficulty keeping the attention to detail as strict as the Germans.  

My new 226 rail says

-SIGARMS INC. EXETER NH-
FRAME MADE IN GERMANY

Its definately a rail gun too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Is Sig's quality dropping?  
  Yes it is.... I just bought and fired my new Sig and what I got was disssapointment on wears that should not be there.Those idiots on Sig were not worth  the money we have put in our pistol. Burrs and heavy tooling marks were evedent of Quality Control problems. Paying for almost twice the price of CZ, Glock, Tagfolio, Berreta and other pistol is not worth Sig.  I did the search on Sig forum, guys there were begging Sig to lift up Quality for so many had complained already.  Dammmend I should have read that before I did my mine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It could be true that since SiG transfered production to the US (all rail frames are made in the US) that they might have some difficulty keeping the attention to detail as strict as the Germans.  

My new 226 rail says

-SIGARMS INC. EXETER NH-
FRAME MADE IN GERMANY

I have two P226s, one in 9mm and the other in .40 S&W, and both say FRAME MADE IN GERMANY.  One was purchased in February 2005, and the other yesterday (woohoo!).

I haven't had a chance to shoot the .40, but I shot the 9mm for the first time a couple weeks ago (I've been Iraq for a year).  The slide failed to cycle completely so many times with the ~75 rounds I put through it that I got frustrated and quit for the day.  It failed to eject the casings about 30 times and kept stove-piping the brass, and would never lock back on the empty magazine.  I assume this is because it's a new (stiff) spring, and I was shooting cheap / crappy PMC ammo, but I was still a little surprised.  I have a feeling that after I shoot about 300 rounds through it, I won't have any more problems.  I'm going to switch to Hydrashoks for the next trip to the range.

I bought the .40 used, but it has barely any more wear than the new 9mm.  Hopefully I won't have the same problem when I take it to the range.  My brother's new P226 didn't have this issue when we first fired it about 10 years ago.

Dave
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My new 226 rail says

-SIGARMS INC. EXETER NH-
FRAME MADE IN GERMANY

I have two P226s, one in 9mm and the other in .40 S&W, and both say FRAME MADE IN GERMANY.  One was purchased in February 2005, and the other yesterday (woohoo!).

I haven't had a chance to shoot the .40, but I shot the 9mm for the first time a couple weeks ago (I've been Iraq for a year).  The slide failed to cycle completely so many times with the ~75 rounds I put through it that I got frustrated and quit for the day.  It failed to eject the casings about 30 times and kept stove-piping the brass, and would never lock back on the empty magazine.  I assume this is because it's a new (stiff) spring, and I was shooting cheap / crappy PMC ammo, but I was still a little surprised.  I have a feeling that after I shoot about 300 rounds through it, I won't have any more problems.  I'm going to switch to Hydrashoks for the next trip to the range.

I bought the .40 used, but it has barely any more wear than the new 9mm.  Hopefully I won't have the same problem when I take it to the range.  My brother's new P226 didn't have this issue when we first fired it about 10 years ago.

Dave

Dave I don't know if your jambing problem was so much the 9mm as it was the ammo.  I have the same problem on my Taurus pt92 that has quite a few thousand rounds through it when i shoot PMC ammo.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a cop trade in 220R a month ago and finally got to shoot it last week.  I liked it so much I just bought a 226R.  If SIG's quality has dropped so much the older guns must be absolutely amazing.  I havent shot the 226 yet but its construction is excellent with no finish issues or machining marks.  They both fit my brand new 6004 rediculously well too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#19]
PMC = Poorly Made Cartridges, you got what you paid for.

Use Federal or Winchester white box, should have no problems.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#20]
My P229 .40 isnt railed but it is a newer gun, Exeter NH frame made in Germany.  It has been ultra reliable for me for about 2,000+ rounds now.  

The only issue I've had with it has been shooting PMC ammo.  I got a good price on a ton of ammo so I bought more than I should have.  *My P229 still shoots it OK about 80% of the time, the other 20% I seem to have failures going into battery*.  I end up having to smach the back of the slide for it to chamber.   It's not a limp wristing issue because others have had the same issue, most of the time its when chambering the first round from a new mag.  Sling shot method or slide release button, it doesnt matter.  YMMV.

*Estimated guess, no real proof of the 80%/20% figure*
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#21]
There're are several threads over at 10-8forums.com and Tacticalforums.com that attest to this.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Are 229's still available without the rail?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:33:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Are 229's still available without the rail?

I bought a brand new P229 .40 without a rail several months ago.  But I am getting the feeling that they are being phased out in the gunshops by the railed versions.  If you look around you should be able to find one.  If not there's always the CPO Sigs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#25]
he
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top