Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/4/2002 8:10:37 AM EDT
I can't remember where I saw it, but I swear I read a thread awhile back on modifying Beretta 92 mags to function reliably in the Sig P-226. I may be adding a P-226 to my collection soon and was wondering if anyone has any information on how this is done. I couldn't find any info at SigForums - any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 9:44:41 AM EDT
Why?

Lots and lots of hicap 226 mags available at good prices.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:41:28 AM EDT
The P-226 mag prices are reasonable but I still own (5) Beretta mags after having sold the Beretta. If I purchase the P226 mags I'd have to go for the factory 15 round mags - I haven't seen these under $60 and dislike most aftermarket mags - except MecGar.I once heard that the Beretta mags could be modified and since I prefer to have at least 5 mags this could save a lot of $$. A credible source (on AR-15.com) once mentioned modifying the Beretta mags - I just can't remember who.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 1:17:23 PM EDT
While it may be possible, you will be much better off to sell your Berettas and buy Sigs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:15:30 PM EDT
Give it a try, they may well work without modification and even if some mods are needed it will probably only be to reshap the mag catch hole. I do know that both 92 and 226 mags work well in the Springfield XD.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:40:53 PM EDT
Yes, it certainly does work.

You'll need to cut holes approx. 1/2" above the existing holes in the Beretta mags to catch. Can be done simply with a Dremel, but go in increments to ensure that you do not cut a hole too big. Best if you have a 226 or even a 228 mag on hand so you can see the difference in hole locations.

Good luck. :)
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:09:42 PM EDT
I have 4 of these, purchased this way. I was told they work in the 226/8/9, but haven't had the luxury of trying that yet. Work flawless in the 92fs though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:26:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2002 11:10:57 PM EDT by Lumpy196]
Why take the risk of damaging those preban Berettas when you could just sell them and get a couple real SIG mags? You KNOW the SIG mags will work. If you or who ever does the conversion is just a bit off, you've now got a Beretta mag that wont work in your SIG and a Beretta mag with and extra hole in it that wasnt meant to be there. Find someone that sells both used and offer to work out a trade.

I just now bumped into this:
www.kieslersonline.com/product/ko_preOwnedFactoryMags.asp

Hardly seems worth it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:27:55 AM EDT
I may take the jump and invest in SIG mags but at $40-$60 each for factory quality - I may just modify the Berettas which cost me next to nothing anyway - remember when Beretta mags went for $10-$15 each?.... If I don't feel confident modifying the Beretta mags I can have a machinist friend do it. I'll check it out though. Thanks for the advice BTW.
Top Top