Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 12:02:41 AM EDT
I never had a problem with my 239 but last trip to the range with it it had it's first jam. While I was firing the gun on one of the shots the slide did not close all the way on the next shell. I thought the mag was empty but then I realized the shell was half way into the chamber. I pushed the slide closed and continued to fire. I put 300 rounds through the gun and it did this around the 200 mark and never did it again so I don't thik it was because the gun was getting dirty. Could it have been a weak round? Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:55:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Limp wristed it.

Mike

ps - it happens, don't neccessarily make ya a fag, unless it becomes a habit....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Could have been but......I have limped wristed it in the past on purpose to see what would happen. The gun ran fine through the whole mag, the limp wrist did not seem to effect it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll have to concur on the limp wristing idea, thats when I know I'm done for the day and that I'm to tired to concentrate on firing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
.... Could it have been a weak round? ...

This was a failure to go into battery.

A weak round probably wouldn’t have caused that kind of malfunction.

Don’t think limp-wristing would either, though I guess it’s possible.

My guess is that being dirty (and maybe lacking lubricant) caused the problem.

Your recoil spring might also be a bit on the weak side.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:33:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.... Could it have been a weak round? ...

This was a failure to go into battery.

A weak round probably wouldn’t have caused that kind of malfunction.

Don’t think limp-wristing would either, though I guess it’s possible.

My guess is that being dirty (and maybe lacking lubricant) caused the problem.

Your recoil spring might also be a bit on the weak side.

My 10mm Witness does that more with the 20lb Wolffe spring than the 14lb stock spring.  My wrist appreciates the 20lb more though...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Most likely, not enough oil on the gun.  Or a little less likely weak ammo or a dirty mag.  Since it only did it once don't worry about it.  Clean the pistol and mags after every range session and you shouldn't have any problems.  Every 5K rounds replace your recoil spring with a genuine SIG spring and it'll last you a very long time.  I'd also recommend replacing the mag springs at the 5K mark as well.  I'm also a big fan of Militec-1 (metal conditioner) and Slip2000 cleaners and gun oils.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 recoil spring.
Try TW25B on the barrel and rails. I spread a thin coat using a Q-tip on the rails.
Sig now includes a sample tube with their guns..
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...While I was firing the gun on one of the shots the slide did not close all the way on the next shell. I thought the mag was empty but then I realized the shell was half way into the chamber. I pushed the slide closed and continued to fire....

I used to do that as well - then it dawned on me that another reason for that sort of jam could be a barrel obstruction.  Now when it happens I eject the partially-fed round and check the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Usually when I'm shooting reloads or real cheap ammo that happens. I think it was a weak round or a casing that might have had a burr or bulge on it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks again everyone. I'll see what happends next range trip!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
+1 recoil spring.
Try TW25B on the barrel and rails. I spread a thin coat using a Q-tip on the rails.
Sig now includes a sample tube with their guns..

Tried TW25B for the first time recently after getting a small tube of it with a new Sig. I love that stuff. Just got done cleaning the duty Glock and lubing/wiping down with TW25B. Funky smell (odd, not harsh), but excellent lube and protectant!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top