Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 8:10:22 PM EDT
I have a CPO P226 in 9mm, i have had it for less than a year, already i have had the roll pin work its way out to the left side, so i had it replaced at the store where i bought it.  After todays trip to the range i noticed that the inner pin had broken in half and the left half of it has fallen out of the pin hole,  why the hell is this happening to me.  Every time i go to the range i put about 100 rounds thru it, nothing fancy, just winchester target.  I have only ever fired one +P+ round thru it , just a spare i had lying around.  So why in less than a year do i need to have my roll pin replaced twice?  I cant belive this to be normal, SIGs are supposed to be super reliable, WTF??  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are going to replace them yourself buy a set of roll pin punches. They are the right tool for the job. Try Brownells or possibly Midway for the punches. When you put in the new pins the smaller second pin should have the slit along the side 180 degrees from the first larger roll pins slit.  One pin at a time and slow as you go.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I don’t know if there’s actually any difference between roll pins, but SIG refers to theirs as H.D. (supposedly for “heavy duty”) pins.

Maybe the gunstore used a regular roll pin as a replacement and that caused the second problem.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#4]
well that had occured to me, except when the gunsmith brought out the pieces from the shop to show me what was happening inside the weapon he said 2 things could be happening, either sig has a problem with their heat treating process (which indicates to me that he used SiG roll pins, they are a SiG dealer), or he said it could be caused by excessive dry fire practice, he said that the roll pin doubles as a stop bar for extreme forward travel of the fireing pin in the case of an unloaded chamber, he said the repeated striking of the fireing pin against the roll pin could concieveably cause excess metal fatigue causing the pin to break or loosen.   For all i know this could be the case, as i have been dry fireing alot to practice.  He set me up with some snap caps to hopefully put a stop to the problem, but we'll see.  Ill really give it a pounding at the range, we'll see what happens after a few range trips.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:37:50 AM EDT
[#5]
This 226 does have the older rolled metal slide right?  They use the two roll pins.

The newer milled stainless slides use the solid pins, which also break but are a bitch to replace even using the proper sized cupped punch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top