Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 4:57:29 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a pistol. Here's what I'm looking for.

Hi-cap 9mm
NOT a 1911 (got one)
Tough
Good Reputation
Price under $850
Must have available parts, mags and accesories.

So, whats the low-down on the P228-P226? Are there any differences between them other than size?
I havent done a search yet, but whats a "Blackwater Edition" (I know what blackwater is, how does it pertain to sig? ).

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm in the market for a pistol. Here's what I'm looking for.

Hi-cap 9mm
NOT a 1911 (got one)
Tough
Good Reputation
Price under $850
Must have available parts, mags and accesories.

So, whats the low-down on the P228-P226? Are there any differences between them other than size? P228 is slightly downsized from the 226, comparable to the Glock 19 to the 17 or a Commander to the fullsize 1911.
I havent done a search yet, but whats a "Blackwater Edition" (I know what blackwater is, how does it pertain to sig? ). Special edition made by Sig with black wood grips and special engraving. I'm a utilitarian guy, and I think it's a waste of time and money.

If you want to carry, you may be happier with the P228 or 229, but I carried a 226 without problems for a while. I now prefer to P220, but I'll own another 226 soon, I promise.

Hit up James at Ordnance and he'll set you up with a CPO Sig red box for less than $500 and you'll be happy with it. The 226 and 228/229 (I group them together because they are so similar in size) sound like exactly what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]
'nilla- Thanks a ton.

After a search, I concur on the BW P226- Nice and all, but not what I want/need.
Haven't checked the link yet- What is this Red Box of which you speak?

ETA- I checked the site. The only 226 they list has the rail. Do they all have the rail now, because I really have no use for it.............
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I think all new Sigs have the rail now, at least the P series. Red box guns are CPOs, Certified Pro-Owned. They've been back to the factory for a replacement of parts if they need it and reconditioning. You can check CDNN Investments for cheaper guns, but they tend to be graded Very Good to Excellent, where Ordnances tend to be 90-95% guns. The 220ST CPO he sold me didn't even look like it had been used at all.

Most of the CPO's he's getting right now do not have rails.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The CPO's have no grading scale anymore per my Sig rep so its just a matter of luck. Regardless who you go through they will all be one grade unless it is from old stock. The ones I have received in all have been mint that look like new pistols. Just an FYI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top