Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 3:08:10 AM EDT
I saw a guy carrying w/ the hammer cocked on his Sig 229.  I asked him if he knew it was cocked.  He told me that it is perfectly safe to carry that way.  Then he asked me if I had ever watched the Sig gun smith videos.  I think I stood there with my mouth open the whole time.

Seemed like he was asking for a hole in his leg/foot/groin or somebody near him.

He had a crappy holster that could/would allow something, like a shirt tail, to get down inside his holster with the gun.  It freaked me out.  Maybe I'm just over-cautious.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:26:13 AM EDT
[#1]
correct me if i am wrong but aren't pistols with decockers designed for condition 2 carry and those with manual safeties (not counting decocking safeties) meant for condition 1?  i once saw a guy carrying a ruger p95 in condition 1.  they aren't designed for that.  but his holster was kind of goofy--had the strap that held the pistol going in between the slide and the hammer.  i guess that made it a bit safer but i still wasn't too comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:48:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd never carry my 229 with the hammer cocked. There's no reason to and personally I feel it's unsafe.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:00:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Unsafe.  The one exception might be in a very sturdy holster, but even then.

Jesus, and people freak with 1911's cocked & locked
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#4]
OMG! NEVER.. Dangerous to the person carrying and to others..

Not only that, but I always holster with my thumb on the hammer to make sure its not cocked for the next draw.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't see a reason for it it on a DA/SA pistol ... pulling the trigger gets the same results whether or not the hammer is cocked.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#6]
It kind of reminded me of the movie, a Christmas Story, where the kid keeps hearing somebody say, "you'll shoot your eye out."  I kept thinking, "you'll shoot your nuts off."  Since the muzzle was pointing at his leg the whole time, I figure I was safe enough.  He was wearing his NRA Life Member leather jacket, so I figured we could keep him warm while we treated him for shock if necessary.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Absolutley no reason to carry hammer cocked on a Sig.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Not only no, but HELL NO.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Never with my Sig
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#10]
any DA/SA gun...
if i had a thumb break holster for it why not?
then i am a single action trigger snob and hate the take up of a DA trigger.
i wish i could get the reliability of a sig or a HK with the glass rod trigger of a 1911.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have a 229, but I have a 226, and no I would not carry like that. Like someone else said, there is no reason to do so, other than to freak out everyone around you.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not only no, but HELL NO.

+1.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#13]
An MD taking a training class I attended in 2004 carried his S&W 9mm cocked, as he hated the DA trigger pull.

Some folks just don't know any better.

EDIT: Giles Stock QUICKLY educated the good Doc on the errors of his ways
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Darwin candidate or on the next episode of "what were you thinking"
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't even cock the hammer while investigating suspicious noises in the house.The SA pull is pretty light and I don't want to explain how I accidentally shot the wife's cat.There's no way i'd holster a cocked Sig.But then,I'm not an uber pistolero, my tanker M14 or my Ithaca 37 are normally assigned guard duty.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldnt carry my 229 with the hammer back.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Someone please edumacate me. Why is it unsafe to carry it cocked but people do it with 1911's so often. I understand that the 1911 is a single action and would have to be cocked to fire, but why is it accepted to be safe?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Someone please edumacate me. Why is it unsafe to carry it cocked but people do it with 1911's so often. I understand that the 1911 is a single action and would have to be cocked to fire, but why is it accepted to be safe?

It's more dangerous to carry a 1911 in condition 2. And it's pointless to carry it condition 3.
And, it has a manual safety backing up the grip safety.
How is the safety arranged on the sig? Does activating the safety drop the hammer?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's more dangerous to carry a 1911 in condition 2. And it's pointless to carry it condition 3.
And, it has a manual safety backing up the grip safety.
How is the safety arranged on the sig? Does activating the safety drop the hammer?

Sigs don't have a manual safety, only a decock lever.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I have carried SIG 226  , and 1911's , - with the Sig i would NOT feel comfortable carrying with the hammer back -  i am even nervous carrying the 1911 'cocked&locked in my backpack when i go hiking - for fear of the safety geting disengaged & the gun going off in my backpack !
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Once saw a dumbass show up to ride with his Smith nine (DA) cocked and in the holster. He had apparently saw others carrying 1911s in this condition, and thought it was ok to carry all autos this way. He was corrected immediately.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Only a SIG GSR should be carried cocked, and it should be locked.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I gotta chime in on this, lets examine how the SIG trigger system works.  The system includes a double action first shot requirement, this pull is about 12 lbs, next the SA pull is only about 4 lbs, this is completely unsafe for carrying without a safety locked.  Therefore you MUST use the decocker to reset to double action or risk shooting yourself or god forbid somone or something.  Also the SIG system includes a fireing pin block and safety intercept notch, both of which can only be disengaged when the trigger is just short of fully pulled.  While in the single action position, it only requires a slight press on the trigger to discharge the weapon.  This situation is NOT safe for a hammer cocked carry.  This is all completely outlined in the manual, please read it.  The decocker is not a "feature" and the Double Action/Single Action trigger is not an "option" that you have.  If you are going to shoot a SIG, or any other DA/SA auto with only a decocker, LEARN THE TRIGGER, DA for first shot, SA for follow ups.  Practice, learn it, if you cant do this, ditch it and get another weapon more suited to your tastes.  Your health is on the line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top