Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 2:49:34 PM EDT
Just picked up a new Sig 229 that finally came in at the dealer in town today.

Inside and out, looks like it's had no more than a few test shots at the factory.

However, the envelope for the shell casings is dated April 2004.

This seems odd to me, as when I've brought Glocks, the shell casings are never more than a couple months before the purchase date.

The serial number starts with an AL, which I'm guessing is old, due to the shell casing envelope.

I did read on the Gunzone about a 229 in 9mm cracking with an AL prefix, but the slide was German manufactured, so I'm not concerned about this, but the story happened in 2003, so I'm guessing my
gun is new/old from this info also.

It came with 13 round mags, but they're both LE, and I'm assuming Sig doesn't LE label new hi caps anymore.

Anyway-  any links to where I can date this serial number?

Thanks

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Call Sigarms.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I asked a similar question about a week ago, and got a very helpful answer ... not by the serial #, but you might want to check this anyway ...

How to determine my Sig's vintage
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I asked a similar question about a week ago, and got a very helpful answer ... not by the serial #, but you might want to check this anyway ...

Thanks AshNH-  Though the letter clue did not help, I removed one of my grips, as you had indicated a date code, and found my grips had a stamped circel with 1-12, an arrow pointing to 6, and the number 03 stamped in the middle of the circle, indicating the grips were made June 03.

Though this gun looks brand new, and I paid for it as new, I wonder where the hell it's been sitting for almost 2 years.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Though this gun looks brand new, and I paid for it as new, I wonder where the hell it's been sitting for almost 2 years.

Seriously ... can you imagine anyone letting one of these guns just sit unused?

I've been wondering the same thing about my recent purchase ... P226, 1991 vintage and in like new condition (bought it at Riley's in Hooksett), save for a few very minor nicks and dings, almost like someone bought it, and just shelved it for 15 years.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]

I wouldn't be too worried. It was either resting in a back warehouse or it was the display model. Mine was actually a display model (although I can't seem to get an age for mine yet) and had some barrel ware. Take a look at the gun and if anything seems out of sorts, it may have been a display model, in which case they should have told you so.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:45:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Nice link. My 226 is apparently older than most of the people in my college classes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top