Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/9/2006 1:59:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2006 2:11:42 PM EDT by topknot]
I apologize in advance for the poor quality picture. I haven't figured out how to take a pic without flash (that would require sitting down and reading the FM, wherever that may be).

Picked it up at a local gunshop. It's a certified pre-owned with night sights. Comes with 1 year Sig Warranty, 2 magazines, manual, lock, and box.

Also purchased a box of Rem Golden Saber 165gr, and a box of UMC 180gr for practice.

This is my first SIG Sauer - have drooled over them for a long while. Traded in my Smith and Wesson model 457 compact .45 for it. The net price was about $200.

Also picked up a nice little Hunter IWB holster. Though I'm a leftie, I bought the right handed holster so that I could carry it in the "small of back". Immediately walked out back and put 5 rounds through it as soon as I got home. :) It is as smooth as I'd imagined!

Cleaned her up, and here she is:

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:03:22 PM EDT
Looks like a great gun
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:13:40 PM EDT
beautiful..I'm sure you'll enjoy your 229 as much as I enjoy mine
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:34:38 PM EDT
Very nice. The 229 was my first Sig also a couple of months ago. I love it. The Milt Sparks VW2 holster works great with it if you plan on carrying.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:12:01 PM EDT
Looks kind of dry... you might want to oil it up a little more.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:19:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:20:51 PM EDT
Nice pistol.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:21:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By darealickt:
Looks kind of dry... you might want to oil it up a little more.

Hehe, oil is my friend. Overboard? Perhaps... :)
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:09:15 AM EDT
Nice pistol...I just picked up a DAK version 229. Looks like your shooting .40 cal. Try the .357 Sig barrel in that puppy! Its a blast to shoot and has great ballistics. Nice!
h.gif
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:11:26 AM EDT
Looks just like mine. Now you need to get those 10 rounders replaced with full cap mags.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:16:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2006 8:18:57 AM EDT by topknot]

Originally Posted By JMCSETZ:
Nice pistol...I just picked up a DAK version 229. Looks like your shooting .40 cal. Try the .357 Sig barrel in that puppy! Its a blast to shoot and has great ballistics. Nice!

Thanks guys. I do intend to buy a .357 Sig barrel and more mags (12 rd) in a month or so. I understand that I can buy a 9mm barrel for this as well? 3 in 1, can't beat that.

ETA: Are there any good sites or sources to trace the serial number back to a specific date? I'd really like to know when this was manufactured.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:43:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By topknot:
Thanks guys. I do intend to buy a .357 Sig barrel and more mags (12 rd) in a month or so. I understand that I can buy a 9mm barrel for this as well? 3 in 1, can't beat that.

ETA: Are there any good sites or sources to trace the serial number back to a specific date? I'd really like to know when this was manufactured.

Bar-Sto makes a 9mm barrel for the Sig229. I would not recommend running it though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:47:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2006 11:53:57 AM EDT by topknot]

Originally Posted By atrophis:

Bar-Sto makes a 9mm barrel for the Sig229. I would not recommend running it though.

I appreciate the advice - would you mind explaining the rationale there (wondering if it's because of the spring, or something else).

I have a lot of learning ahead of me - just glad to have found the SIG forum.

ETA: Just called SIGArms and it was made in 1994.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:52:35 PM EDT
Big congrats on the 229!! I just picked one up myself. Really, a rather impressive little pistol.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:27:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rob01:
Very nice. The 229 was my first Sig also a couple of months ago. I love it. The Milt Sparks VW2 holster works great with it if you plan on carrying.

+1...get yourself a good carry belt too if you don't have one already. It'll make a big difference.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:41:46 PM EDT
Congratulations on your 229!
The 229 in 40 was my first Sig years ago and is still my favorite for SD. +1 on The Milt Sparks VM2 and get the MS belt too... very comfortable.
I suggest using TW25B Lube on the barrel and frame rails. Sig now ships its guns with a sample tube... Excellent Lube!
Good Luck with your 229!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:17:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARer:
Congratulations on your 229!
The 229 in 40 was my first Sig years ago and is still my favorite for SD. +1 on The Milt Sparks VM2 and get the MS belt too... very comfortable.
I suggest using TW25B Lube on the barrel and frame rails. Sig now ships its guns with a sample tube... Excellent Lube!
Good Luck with your 229!

Thanks! I just ordered the TW 25 B grease, thanks to your advice.

The holster and belt will have to wait for me to save my pennies for a bit. :)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:20:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 6:37:52 AM EDT by ARer]
Great on the TW25B. I use the TW25B syringe and spread it on the rails with a Q-Tip. It allows for a nice even thin coating.

Rem Oil is a good cleaner.
I also occasionally remove both grips and flush out the sear area with Rem Oil. Blot very dry by letting the oil creep into a small section of paper towel (keep changing to dry towel area, takes about .5 hr). Then I use TW25B on the sear and apply it with a toothpick. You will notice a difference in trigger smoothness.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:55:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By atrophis:

I appreciate the advice - would you mind explaining the rationale there (wondering if it's because of the spring, or something else).

I have a lot of learning ahead of me - just glad to have found the SIG forum.

ETA: Just called SIGArms and it was made in 1994.

I have the .40 and .357 barrels for mine but I dont think that you can use the 9mm on the same gun, I think it is because of a recoil spring or magazine issue (can't remember for sure) you may want to check their website or call them before buying the barrel.

I also bought Houge grips for mine and I love them.
Top Top