Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2002 3:12:30 AM EDT
I'm very happy about how it feels in my hands, about the trigger pull,accuracy , sights and overall look, now what i H  A  T  E about it is that it will RUST easily, unlike my glocks that would take even saltwater spray without noticing it, i don't know, kinda frustraded over here, to me a military pistols like the one mentioned in this post should NOT rust THAT easy. I might just sell the bastard and stick to my plastic austrian toys. i don't know...

HUNTER.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 3:29:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Store it in a bucket of CLP.

Tipperillos?
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 5:01:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Store it in a bucket of CLP.

Tipperillos?

but i carry the damned thing.....
LMFAO about the tiparrilos heheh
HUNTER.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Sell it and get a fucking HK you ROOKIE!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Find a place that does Gun-Kote and have the EXTERNAL parts of the gun done. Or you can sell it to me if you are in New England. I miss my old 226.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Put some Sentry Solutions Tough-Slide on it every 6 months of carry and you'll be fine !

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#6]
send it to ARIZONA RESPONSE SYSTEMS and get the METACOL III finish it is very durable and looks fantastic! I will post a pic. of my Colt gold cup N.M. if you want to see what it looks like.
(just yell)
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 3:17:00 AM EDT
[#7]
The old K-cote on SIGs can really rust up fast. One day working in the rain, and I have seen officer's weapons completely covered with rust. I wipe mine done regularly with one of those impregnated silicon cloths and tef-lube, and I haven't had those problems.

The newer finish that they are putting on the P229s is much better, and I haven't seen any rust on it yet.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#8]
HUNTER223, wouldn't be cheaper and more effective to have the pistol refinished? I would think hard chrome or Birdsong etc. should do the job. I am having my Kahr E9 hard chromed as it is getting pretty ratty looking. Food for thought. Regards, Richard
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#9]
i've got the nitron finish on mine, seems pretty nuf. no rust showing yet *knock on wood*
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Use a synthetic grease (I use TW-25B).

1) use gun scrubber or rubbing alcohol to degrease.

2) rub small amount of grease over slide.

3) wipe clean with a cloth.

I have had zero rust since doing this, even though my 226 has some serious holster wear.

(did my AR too, parkerizing looks "smooth" afterwards, but does not feel slick)
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I left my old P226 in the safe for too long, and it rusted at the muzzle where the finish has been worn away by 10 years and 42,000+ rounds (try that, HK noobs ).

I had Mac's Shootin Iron Restorations GunKote it and it's good as new.  The old rolled/stamped/welded SIG slides have the rust cancer bad.  That's the nature of the beast.  Still feeds better than any HK or 1911-pattern pistol, though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 7:01:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Heres some interesting comments on SIG's from a Navy Seal...

"I found this post over at tacticalforums.com under the the Navy SEAL forum. This forum is moderated by an active duty Navy SEAL and he is frequesntly asked questions regarding their firearms generally and SIG pistols in particular.

http://www.tacticalforums.com/

Here's the questions:

Sorry if this has been flogged to death already. But why does Navy Specwar use the Sig 226 instead of the Glocks? I am a Sig fan and own several. But as the finish wears they 'rust' particularly the mags. How do they maintain the finish in a salt water environment? Seems the Glock Tenifer finish is more resistant to that environment. Do they utilize a different finish than Sig offers???? Thanks for looking!

Here's the answer:

"We've used 9mm P226's exclusively since the spring of 1989. SEALs are very fond of them. The SIG P226 lasts longer in SEAL armories than any other weapon system in use (maybe the 686's stay longer...yeah, they do). These guns have really proved their worth to the NSW crowd, so my feelings are typical of that community. The gun works very well for the types of missions SEALs use them for. SEAL SIGs routinely cycle 300-500 rounds between cleanings. BTW, if dirt was a problem with ANY weapon, SEALs would detest it. Not true with a P-226. Our SIGs do not have chrome lined bores and this has never been a problem. I don't think it's very important, at least not in that handgun. Rem-dry-lube and Sentry solutions Marine cloth work well for seawater rust prevention. My only complaint is that the Navy doesn't have the pistol or the magazines coated with something impervious to seawater.

SIGs are accurate and reliable. I like them better for tactical ops than Glocks because of the DA first shot. I can sleep in the field with my SIG drifting around in my sleeping bag with me and not worry about shooting myself. I'd much rather tuck a SIG into my waistband than a Glock for hasty concealed carry. I like the ergonomics of a SIG better- they just point really well. A little more weight in a gun than the Glock is nice, too.

The only problem with Glocks is that no Frog would feel completely safe with one loaded and not in a retention holster. Frogmen are covered with webstraps most of the time and it is possible that one would get caught between the trigger and holster, thus firing the pistol upon complete insertion of the Glock into a holster. At least with a SIG you can feel for that possibility and control it by keeping a thumb on the hammer. Not so with striker fired weapons.

The new SIGs don't rust as bad as the old ones, but operators are still very reluctant to take them in the water because the magazines rust so badly. Mags have rusted badly (but they're disposable). I think that NP3 coated mags for the SIG would help tremendously. Would a Glock be a better option i.e., less susceptible to corrosion? Maybe, maybe not. SIGs and Glocks are both good sidearms. What works even better is taking a Mk 23 or 686 instead of a SIG for long water ops.

I can tell you the Glock is not as reliable a firearm for diving or amphibious ops as you may think. My Glock 21 would only reliably fire the round in the chamber after a dive op. Why? The metal stiffener in the magazine would corrode and cause too much friction for the mag spring to overcome and just wouldn't push the next bullet up high enough to be fed. In other words, the liner of the Glock magazine is susceptible to rust in saltwater and will cause enough internal mag "drag" on the bullets to prevent firing all but the chambered round. I stopped swimming Glocks after a few bad experiences like this.

The SOCOM Mk 23 OHG worked pretty well until the silt got heavy. 1911's with stainless mags were more reliable than Glocks, but any autoloader pales in this arena compared to a stainless wheelgun. That's why SEALs primarily dive S&W 686's for long combat swimmer ops and very silty areas."

I thought that was interesting and hope you did also."

So get yourself a SIG like I did now I own 2 P-220 and P-239

SIGS are the way to go.

Link Posted: 11/16/2002 7:33:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I had the same problem with my SIG P226 and P220 for a long time.  It drove me nuts.  My skin has a high PH level and can take bluing off a gun in a day or two.  If I handled my SIG and didnt oil, I was guaranteed to have rust within 2 days. The problem areas for me were grip screws, the hood of the barrel, the barrel where it locks into the muzzle of the slide and on the 226, where the magazine makes contact with the bar of the slide stop. I was told about Sentry Solutions, and their Tuf-Cloth.  Its impregnated with a lubricant that dries eventually. It's supposedly used by the SEALs (isn't everything?).  I cover the guns and magazines with it after cleaning and about once a week if they havent been shot. I've had no problems with rust since.  I get the Tuf-Cloth and the Tuf-Glide refiller bottle from Brownells.  Be sure to hit every tight area with it too.  It's great stuff.

www.sentrysolutions.com/tuf-cloth.html
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#15]
This gun was recently done by Walther Birdsong. The cost was $160. The turn-around time was 6 weeks(gov't work comes first). 2 mags plus ALL THE INTERNAL PARTS are refinished except the bore and chamber. His Teflon finish (Black-T or Green-T), meet the mil-spec standards for continuous(no lube)dry fire operation.

The finish holds up well enough to satisfy the military and federal agencies. One branch of the government has their MP5's done in Black-T. It is so slick, they can be fired full auto, no lube DRY! If you call Walter BE PREPARED for a very long conversation about his product. He does not brag, but he will give you a very detailed explanation of his service. Don't look for a web site. He has all the government and civilian work needed to keep him busy. He gets his civilian customers by word of mouth recommendations like mine.

Walter Birdsong
1431 Monterey Rd.
Florence MS 39078

601-939-7448

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#16]
AGHHHHH! It is resting on its sights! Do pushups! Sweet looking finish. Only $160? Hmmm.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#17]
JetFlyer - Thats a real sexy piece!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top