Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 8:05:41 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a decent concealed carry holster for the P226? I am looking for something for either the small of my back or the strong side. I don't usually wear belts, and I usually do wear jeans (and "girlie" type shirts, although never form fitting or half shirts). If any of that helps with suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
if you want cheap then Fobus paddle for $19-20.  if you want good get leather, several makers do paddle holsters in leather.  I personally make gun leather, and 226 is one of my main guns to work with.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I got my comp tac CTAC in today for my 220r, I love it already. I would highly recommend one. It makes my gun dissappear under just a t-shirt.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a good belt if your serious about carry IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Good advice. It's best to have a good solid belt holding your holster. You don't have to get leather either if you don't like that look. Check out the Wilderness Instructor Belt A very solid belt. I have 2 of them. One in black and one in tan.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Get a belt and the Safariland inside the holster. Thats what I did with my P226r and I love it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
+2 on the belt. Get one and start wearing it. Something at least 1.5" wide and relatively stiff. Be prepared to alter your wardrobe a little or get a smaller gun. With a good IWB holster you can do it though. Check out Milt Sparks if you want a good holster. VMII and Summer Special are two winners.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#7]
are you female or male ? that would dictate some holster designs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Lost track of this thread a bit, sorry. Anyway, I am female. I have a decent belt already, it is a black leather duty belt, but it fits perfectly through belt loops and is "well worn," not to mentioned very suitable and used to my Sig at this point.

I recently went out and bought a smaller gun, but unfortunetly said smaller gun decided it no longer wants to work (after 30 rounds, great) so it may be going away for a while. I am still seeking a concealed holster for the Sig, but every place I have gone and asked... they actually laughed in my face when I asked about concealing this gun. So if anyone can reccomend websites, I'd be very appreciative. Although I think the fact that I have hips is going to make this more difficult. I already have a pancake holster from Galco that I have used for three years as a duty holster... it sticks out on my side. I haven't had much luck with paddle holsters, either. So it is slim pickin's.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:51:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Most gun stores don't carry a wide variety of holsters.  The one with the best selection said that I wouldn't be able to get a decent one to carry my 229.  Seems like their mentality is "if it ain't a 1911, you can't conceal it."

I was reading something about female holsters recently.  I never really thought about it, but since ya'll are built differently than us, a male holster may be uncomfortable.  The following is from this LINK.  It also list some manufacturers who specifically make holsters for women.

Females face special difficulties with concealment holsters. The vast majority of holsters are designed for men. The problem is that men and women are built differently. The female torso tends to be an "hour glass" shape and shorter from hip to shoulder. The complaints most frequently heard from women are that their holster "rides way too high, and the grip of the gun is up around my armpit." A holster designed around the male body will ride uncomfortably high on a woman. A woman's curving hips tend to push the muzzle of the gun outward, causing the grip of the gun to jam into her ribs. A number of quality holster makers including Del Fatti, Kramer, Chris Cunningham,  Blade Tech,  Sunrise Leather, and many others build holsters specifically designed for women. For an excellent article on fitting a holster to the female shape,  click here. The important learning here is that women have special needs in a holster and there are products out there which address these needs. Don�t let a clerk at the local gun store stick you with a holster that doesn�t work and digs into your ribs.

Here's another link about women's holsters:
www.womensholsters.com/choosing.html#What%20Else%20Is%20Different%20About%20Women%D5s%20Holsters?

P.S.  I was wondering why you were admitting to wear "girlie" shirts.  Then I read further down where you cleared it up for me.  

P.P.S.  A good belt makes all the difference in comfort and concealment.  One way to give away that you are carrying is to keep pulling up your pants.  I bought a good belt from www.beltman.net.  His belts may be too male for you.  He's a one man show and he's located in Apex, NC, so he may be able to make something that will work for you.   Doesn't hurt to ask.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
P.P.S.  A good belt makes all the difference in comfort and concealment.  One way to give away that you are carrying is to keep pulling up your pants.  I bought a good belt from www.beltman.net.  His belts may be too male for you.  He's a one man show and he's located in Apex, NC, so he may be able to make something that will work for you.   Doesn't hurt to ask.

Yup! He made the one I am currently using, it is the best belt I ever owned. It was pricey, but well worth it. I went right to his shop (a little room under his house guarded by angry ducks, no joke) and he custome sized me for it and all, made it to suit my uniform at the time, but it is great with regular clothes, too. He still e-mails me with his latest ideas for me to buy because after that belt, he had about 30 armored guards banging on his door for matching ones. :)

My issue with holsters is the opposite from what they say. I wear my belts a touch lower and have a tall torso, plus I'm about 6' tall, so the gun doesn't really go up into my arm pit too much if I'm careful. My issue is the grip jutting out. Even in the pancake holster, I used to use my gun as an arm rest when I open carried at my last job.

So I was hunting for a small of the back holster, which I got, but it is horrible. It only has one opening for the belt, so the gun swings out off my back and can't be worn inside the pants. And my concern is also the summer time. I hike a lot in the summer time and wanted to carry because I've had some "issues" on hikes, but concealing becomes a real issue.

Thanks for the links, though. I am going to consider what they have there. It can't hurt!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Excuse me for interrupting the thread, but

SigFiend226, your avatar kicks ass!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#12]
That's funny about the belt guy.  I can't remember his name, but he's got my future business.  His prices are lower than MS and the other big names, and I think his quality is just as good.  He makes holsters as well as belts.  You might see what he can do for you with a holster.  

A lot of the people I know use Kydex OWB belt/paddle holsters from talon tactical.  Mike Benedict is a great guy and extremely knowledgeable.  My guess is that would be a great way to carry when hiking.  The holster stays pretty tight against the body.  I'm thinking about getting one for my 229.  If so, it'll be the 4th holster I've bought for it.  I think they're about $45.

You may consider having more than one holster for use in different situations.

Here's what I have, and how I use 'em:
1. MS VMII that I use for concealed carry.  It is comfortable, and conceals pretty well.  I'm not very big, 5'9" and 165 lbs.  
2. Uncle Mike's Kydex Belt Holster OWB.  I use it at the range and around the house.  It is comfortable, but does not keep the gun next to my body.  I've only worn it out once, and I had a huge sweatshirt over it.  My wife said that it was printing badly.  I plan to replace this with one from Talon Tactical when I get the chance.  I think that IWB would be the most comfortable way to carry for hiking.
3. Don Hume IWB waist band clip-on.  I found it in the used bucket at a local gun store for $15.  I leave it in the car.  I can't carry at work, so I usually have my carry pistol in a belly bag in my glove box.  If I stop someplace to/from work, and want to carry, this holster is easy to put on/off.  The bad thing is that it is unstable due to the clip and is the main reason I don't use it very often.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Excuse me for interrupting the thread, but

SigFiend226, your avatar kicks ass!

Thank you! It was originally animated, which was even cooler! :)
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That's funny about the belt guy.  I can't remember his name, but he's got my future business.  His prices are lower than MS and the other big names, and I think his quality is just as good.  He makes holsters as well as belts.  You might see what he can do for you with a holster.  

A lot of the people I know use Kydex OWB belt/paddle holsters from talon tactical.  Mike Benedict is a great guy and extremely knowledgeable.  My guess is that would be a great way to carry when hiking.  The holster stays pretty tight against the body.  I'm thinking about getting one for my 229.  If so, it'll be the 4th holster I've bought for it.  I think they're about $45.

You may consider having more than one holster for use in different situations.

Here's what I have, and how I use 'em:
1. MS VMII that I use for concealed carry.  It is comfortable, and conceals pretty well.  I'm not very big, 5'9" and 165 lbs.  
2. Uncle Mike's Kydex Belt Holster OWB.  I use it at the range and around the house.  It is comfortable, but does not keep the gun next to my body.  I've only worn it out once, and I had a huge sweatshirt over it.  My wife said that it was printing badly.  I plan to replace this with one from Talon Tactical when I get the chance.  I think that IWB would be the most comfortable way to carry for hiking.
3. Don Hume IWB waist band clip-on.  I found it in the used bucket at a local gun store for $15.  I leave it in the car.  I can't carry at work, so I usually have my carry pistol in a belly bag in my glove box.  If I stop someplace to/from work, and want to carry, this holster is easy to put on/off.  The bad thing is that it is unstable due to the clip and is the main reason I don't use it very often.

I was considering some custom made holsters. It may be the only bet I have at this point. I have a shoulder holster, but it is really, really uncomfortable, so I only use it when I have to. Other than that, my Sig has 7 holsters to its name at this point, only two meant for concealing and the one is the terrible one. But I might give him a call and see if he can do anything for me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Check out www.crossbreedholsters.com

He does an IWB SOB.  A buddy of mine carries a 1911 in one of his strong side IWB's, and loves it.  And since he is a true custom one-holster-at-a-time type of guy, he will most likely work to get you exactly what you need.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Very cool. Thanks, I'll have a look!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I got my comp tac CTAC in today for my 220r, I love it already. I would highly recommend one. It makes my gun dissappear under just a t-shirt.

+1 on CompTac
Awesome Products

and  I live relatively near them
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:58:00 AM EDT
[#19]
FOBUS....anything else is junk.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
FOBUS....anything else is junk.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd have to agree that a belt is a must for serious concealed carry especially using a large frame handgun...

That said... Kramer belt scabbard in horse hide works great for my Glock 20, 23, and 36 (summer)

Best of luck to ya.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Thanks, just ordered one from him.

Small correction to your link:  www.thebeltman.net/products.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top