Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/20/2005 3:20:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 3:29:33 PM EDT by DS11M]
Hello and thanks for looking,

I found a REALLY good deal on both (same price, used, good shape). Which one is the better handgun? Which one will last the longest, most accurate, etc etc. The one I pick will be for a back-up duty weapon.

I realize I am asking on the Sig forum, but please be honest!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:01:17 PM EDT
Have you handled or been able to shoot either one? You're talking about two rather high quality firearms here , and from that point it's really going to boil down to which one you prefer by ergonomics, features, size/weight, etc.
Personally I would go with the Sig simply because for me it fits my hand better and I have waaayy more experience with Sig than Beretta (this also equals faith/trust).
You're not going to go wrong with either, really. Good luck!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:25:59 PM EDT
The trigger on the Sig is much better than the 92FS (both double and single action). I like the 92F's ergonomics better. It's a toss up, but the Sig is definately a notch or two above the Beretta in several aspects (IMO, of course).
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:26:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 4:28:09 PM EDT by vanilla_gorilla]
***This post contains personal opinion from a VERY opinionated fucker****

Get the Sig. I have had both, and I absolutely despise the Beretta. For me, it fits better, and shoots much better. Mag capacity is the same, and I think reliability is the same.

That said, you'd probably be best off if you were able to try both of them somehow, if you have any friends with them you can hit up.

Edit: What's your primary weapon? Choose one that will not force you to change to a different manual of arms. Your muscle memory will do more for you than anything else, don't purposely try to screw that little puppy that's in your nerve center.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:34:59 PM EDT
Get both!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:39:36 PM EDT
The Sig 226 is the better gun of the two.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:46:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

Edit: What's your primary weapon? Choose one that will not force you to change to a different manual of arms. Your muscle memory will do more for you than anything else, don't purposely try to screw that little puppy that's in your nerve center.

My primary is a Glock 21. I know what your saying about muscle memory, but with the prices of these........hell I just cant pass them, or one of them up (several hundred under retail)!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:15:23 AM EDT
No question... SIG.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:17:03 AM EDT
Chevy-Ford. That being said, having carried both as an LEO, my personal preference is the Sig.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:20:05 AM EDT
Handled and shot both, +1 on Sig for everything.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:23:57 AM EDT
Well... here is another opinion. I have owned over 25 Sigs in the past ten years and two Berettas. So, I certainly have more love for the Sig. However, the Beretta 92 is a nice weapon. You really should shoot both because the ergonomics are a little different. For example the decocker on the Sig is more naturally placed for me than the one on the Beretta. I also do not like having a manual safety like the Beretta 92 series has (on most of the models).

One other consideration is... if you are going to suppress this handgun, the Beretta will save you several hundred dollars. You can thread the portion of the Beretta barrel that is sticking out from the slide. With the Sig, you need to buy a new barrel that is threaded. Might not be an issue for you, but I am looking for a threaded barrel for my P226 right now, so this issue is a real one for me.

Oh yeah, one more thing to consider. With the Beretta's cut away slide, it is easier to rack the slide when compared to the Sig. Not an issue for us burly men, but a big issue for my wife.

In the end, both are well tested weapons that will serve most people for a lifetime.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:53:44 AM EDT
I like and carry a 92FS at work, but I like my personal P226 much better.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:53:35 PM EDT
Berretta hands down
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:54:16 PM EDT
Go with the Sig. It is closer in operation to a G***k that a Beretta.

Sigmonster
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:26:15 PM EDT
Sig without a doubt. Carried a Pizza Gun for 4 years in the Marine Corps. I was Issued a brand new one and it broke locking blocks three time in a year.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:32:31 PM EDT
A real P226 with a folded stamped slide.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:39:37 PM EDT
Both are decent weapons..When our department changed over from revolvers to autos' our instructors used empty shell cases to simulate jamming... we had Berettas, S&W,glock and sigs to choose from...only the sig actually chambered the empty cases.. all otherw stoved piped..carried a 226 for 15 years NEVER jammed and won the Metro Hom. shoot with it ..I know i'm bias but realy respect the sig....
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:50:31 AM EDT
Definitely the Sig P226!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:19:37 AM EDT
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will go with the Sig
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:47:02 AM EDT
I would go with the SIG for sure. I have had some bad experiances with the Berretta in the Army. Now i hear that most of the jams were due to weak mag springs so we ended up loading them with no more than 10 rnds. We supposedly wanted to standardize the 9mm with NATO and get mag capacity. (Who knew that we would only get 10 rnds) I think the 1911 is way better than the M-9/92FS. I wouldnt call the Berretta a good desert gun either. Fact is your not in the desert and if you keep the mags rotated as to not weaken the springs, you may be ok. That being said, it doesnt need to be done on the SIG. Now, I do feel the gun is accurate enough I dont think it is anywhere near as accurate as the SIG 226.

I am not sure if the army has bad mags on supply or if they are a bad design, im sure somone can help me with the jamming issue with the mags. I am interested to know why, if somone knows.

Personal preference, but look at the cost of the handguns and look at the fit/finish. You do get what you pay for and the SIG is several hundred dollars more, I dont feel this is as a result of overpriceing. Also if a GLOCK is your primary, go with that for defensive purposes because its what you are used too, unless the SIG is that much better to you. If you switch practice like no other to get instinctive with the gun.

My .02 cents.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:27:23 PM EDT
I am going to vote Sig on this topic, personally. I will be honest, I don't have a lot of experience with Beretta. So I am only speaking of my personal experience with a Sig. I have a Sig P226 .40 cal. And I adore the gun. I spent almost a year looking for a duty weapon before settling on this piece, and I have not once regretted my final decision. I carried it as my main gun when working in armored transport, so I can tell you that it was abused horribly on a daily basis. This poor gun got slammed repeatedly into the armor plating of the trucks, safes, door ways, overly excited customers, ATMs, etc. And I shoot the living daylights out of it on top of all of that. This gun, in two years, has jammed once, and it was my own fault for buying cheap ammo (no powder in a round, what a nightmare). Never made that mistake again, and I have no issues. I am currently awaiting my concealed permit, and if it passes, my Sig will be carried again.

However, on the side of Beretta, one of my previous managers in armored carried a Beretta, and he swore by it. His was ten years old and going strong, although he was a manager, so he wasn't doing what I was doing (and my gun had been carried on duty longer than his was) and therefore his piece wasn't being abused nearly as badly.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:21:04 PM EDT
P226 it's what is on mt hip right now.
Top Top