Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 40
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I submitted my FOIA on 4 pistols 2//27/2020, had the same response everyone else received that it was being transferred to the correct: Assistant Secretary of the Army (Acquisition, Logistics, & Technology) on 4/1/2020. I'm assuming I should be hearing something pretty soon?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Finally received my FOIA letter in the same 4ish month timeframe mentioned above.  My pistol has very little history, which is evidenced by it’s like new condition.  Came to the Army on 6NOV2017 and went back to Sig on 24APR2019.  Other than that it sat at Anniston, AL.  My pistol has little wear with only slight handling marks to speak of.  The 21 round mag is brand new, presumably as new as the pistol (?), but the other mags are used and have armorers/unit markings on them (can’t remember what at this time, as it’s buried in the safe at this point).

No overseas service is fine with me, as it was the luck of the draw with these early release guns.  If it were is used condition i would shoot and enjoy it as any other pistol, but i suppose I’ll just let it stay tucked away for a while and pick up a commercial version for fun...
View Quote

I received a FOIA response with an attachment that essentially states my request is being processed and referred to the Assistant Secretary of the Army (Acquisition, Logistics, & Technology). There's an included email address for them, address, and a hyperlink to check the status of my request. The link leads to a dead end though, access denied type deal. It's been since April when I received that follow up email.

Any ideas? Do I essentially have to re-email this new address with the same thing I had sent before....or do I simply wait?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I received a FOIA response with an attachment that essentially states my request is being processed and referred to the Assistant Secretary of the Army (Acquisition, Logistics, & Technology). There's an included email address for them, address, and a hyperlink to check the status of my request. The link leads to a dead end though, access denied type deal. It's been since April when I received that follow up email.

Any ideas? Do I essentially have to re-email this new address with the same thing I had sent before....or do I simply wait?
View Quote

You just have to wait.  I got the same email and the link didn’t work.  Months later an email arrived with the letter attached as a PDF
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I just picked up one today locally.  $1250.  Considering they are closing on Gunbroker for almost $2000 (one just sold for $5200) I think I did okay.  I was going to get one back when word first hit Sig was going to start shipping but I just procrastinated.

I did notice the slide doesn't like to return to battery as easy as I would be comfortable with.  I realize you shouldn't ride it home in use, but it still bothers me it needs a shove that way when empty.  :/ I'll take it out shooting tomorrow and see how it works.  It seems to feed snap caps if I use the slide release or slingshot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just picked up one today locally.  $1250.  Considering they are closing on Gunbroker for almost $2000 (one just sold for $5200) I think I did okay.  I was going to get one back when word first hit Sig was going to start shipping but I just procrastinated.

I did notice the slide doesn't like to return to battery as easy as I would be comfortable with.  I realize you shouldn't ride it home in use, but it still bothers me it needs a shove that way when empty.  :/ I'll take it out shooting tomorrow and see how it works.  It seems to feed snap caps if I use the slide release or slingshot.
View Quote

The slide not returning to battery is normal with these,  it is because of the guide rod for plus p ammo.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The slide not returning to battery is normal with these,  it is because of the guide rod for plus p ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pre-tensioned. the Old X5s and Xcarry had it, it shoots itself smooth in about 500 rounds. it will probably still happen when riding the slide forward, these guns were designed to reciprocate with the forces from NATO Spec +p+ ammo. my commemorative gun and mil-surp gun both do it, but my commercial M17 doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Well it does it with both guide rods so not sure I understand.  Also not sure I understand pretension if anyone cares to elaborate on that?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well it does it with both guide rods so not sure I understand.  Also not sure I understand pretension if anyone cares to elaborate on that?
View Quote

You can Google it.  There's literally dozens of articles on it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Someone got sand in their snatch this morning.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Someone got sand in their snatch this morning.
View Quote

It literally took more effort to type your reply than to google "m17 pretension"
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know what the story with that last consecutive pistol on gb going for 5k is? Someone bumping up the price because they knew the other bidder won the first one?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone know what the story with that last consecutive pistol on gb going for 5k is? Someone bumping up the price because they knew the other bidder won the first one?
View Quote

According to the seller on the Facebook group, the buyer of the other pistol got in a bidding war with someone that really, really, wanted that one.  I'd copy and paste the exact quote, but the admins of the Facebook group get upset when their content is shared elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd copy and paste the exact quote, but the admins of the Facebook group get upset when their content is shared elsewhere.
View Quote

Which is a shame. A lot of gun people are not Facebook users. I wish they would move it to their own website.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Running a web site is a pain in the ass, particularly when you know it's going to have a capped interest level.  Less than 5k units available to own.  Maybe 1/2 of those owners would be interested in a web site and 50 guys who might actively participate and may own 1/5 of the inventory  
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Running a web site is a pain in the ass, particularly when you know it's going to have a capped interest level.  Less than 5k units available to own.  Maybe 1/2 of those owners would be interested in a web site and 50 guys who might actively participate and may own 1/5 of the inventory  
View Quote

Being on Facebook, it is capped even lower. So why not share info on other platforms? It does not sound like it is monetized.

Heck, even a tacked thread in this arfcom Sig Sauer forum would reach more people than Facebook.

I applaud the FB groups efforts in collecting the M17 info while it is still available. I even provided the pertinent info on my 2 pistols for the group through an arfcom member there. But it is very sequestered and exists only at the whim of a highly politicized and arbitrary Facebook bureaucracy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is the quote from the FB page:

I am very pleased with what they did, the one went for way more than I was hoping for and the other a bit less. I was hoping for around 2.5 each. The one went so high because a guy decided he had to have that one and the other guy was trying to make the pair. I hope they pay too, the big bidder was a new bidder with zero reviews so that has me a bit concerned.
View Quote
Sue me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 5:54:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I applaud the FB groups efforts in collecting the M17 info while it is still available. I even provided the pertinent info on my 2 pistols for the group through an arfcom member there. But it is very sequestered and exists only at the whim of a highly politicized and arbitrary Facebook bureaucracy.
View Quote

I don’t care about sharing info, anybody asks me and I have it I’ll give it out. The FB group isn’t really doing much but collecting the serials, pics and info anyways and it slowed to a trickle now that all the guns are out basically.
Any work I did in tracing units, rack numbers etc is available to anyone who asks, just PM me or @ me and I can look up your serial. No one has any mil contacts and is sharing unit history anymore it’s all waiting on FOIA info to be plugged in at this point.
There was one big data dump a few months ago but there are still a lot of M17’s without unit history which is why I was trying to match up rack numbers to ones with found units but even that’s speculation. Out of the 2065 known serials on the list only about 600 or so have rack numbers.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don’t care about sharing info, anybody asks me and I have it I’ll give it out. The FB group isn’t really doing much but collecting the serials, pics and info anyways and it slowed to a trickle now that all the guns are out basically.
Any work I did in tracing units, rack numbers etc is available to anyone who asks, just PM me or @ me and I can look up your serial. No one has any mil contacts and is sharing unit history anymore it’s all waiting on FOIA info to be plugged in at this point.
There was one big data dump a few months ago but there are still a lot of M17’s without unit history which is why I was trying to match up rack numbers to ones with found units but even that’s speculation. Out of the 2065 known serials on the list only about 600 or so have rack numbers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last time I was on the FB site (I don't go very often) I realized my serial number wasn't listed.  At one point I thought I sent it to someone who was linked on FB before I opened an account, but it didn't make it.  Now that I have my FOIA letter, I'll pull the thing out of storage, take some pics of everything and share the info with the FB page.  When I get the box out I'll take a better look at my mags, for as I mentioned in my last post, my gun just sat in a warehouse and was never issued to a unit, but it did come with 2 mags from a gun that had been issued to a unit somewhere(can't remember the markings off the top of my head)?  If the unit/armorer markings match someone else's gun I'd be happy to trade them off for unmarked/unissued mags.  this way both parties with have a complete and correct set up.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Last time I was on the FB site (I don't go very often) I realized my serial number wasn't listed.  At one point I thought I sent it to someone who was linked on FB before I opened an account, but it didn't make it.  Now that I have my FOIA letter, I'll pull the thing out of storage, take some pics of everything and share the info with the FB page.  When I get the box out I'll take a better look at my mags, for as I mentioned in my last post, my gun just sat in a warehouse and was never issued to a unit, but it did come with 2 mags from a gun that had been issued to a unit somewhere(can't remember the markings off the top of my head)?  If the unit/armorer markings match someone else's gun I'd be happy to trade them off for unmarked/unissued mags.  this way both parties with have a complete and correct set up.
View Quote

I see you're Army, so my apologies in advance if you already know this.  But if your mags are marked with a single number (ie, 5, 7, 10), that's how many rounds were in the mag for the pistol qualification.  Some of the non-military collectors get giddy over that shit.  I'd pull off the tape and forget it was ever on there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I see you're Army, so my apologies in advance if you already know this.  But if your mags are marked with a single number (ie, 5, 7, 10), that's how many rounds were in the mag for the pistol qualification.  Some of the non-military collectors get giddy over that shit.  I'd pull off the tape and forget it was ever on there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No apologies needed, as I’ve seen quite a few folks mistake the range qualifying marks for unit ID (I think i actually have a handful of M9 mags with those markings )

The markings on my mags are company markings, something like “A Co, 1st“ or something to that effect?  I still haven’t dug this thing out of storage to get the exact verbiage and photo’s.  My thought was if someone else had a M17 with similar markings or heritage, they would be interested in the mags.  It’s clear they are not tied to my pistol and were most likely just grabbed from a box full of mags.

I’ll make a point of getting more info soon
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like we are approaching an average of $2000 for a common M17 surplus pistol with FOIA, disregarding the fluke, bidding war $5000 and low serial numbered variants.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Finally pulled out the M17 box to look at the mags (pics below).  Both 21 rounders are marked "C-Co," in different places, presumably by different folks by looking at the font?  Neither of these are original to my gun, as it was never issued, so as I mentioned before, I believe these were just in a pile of magazines to be pulled from when putting together the Surplus Package (IMHO, could be a different reason?).  Pics of my gun below the pic of the mags.

Should someone have a gun marked or linked to a C-Co Unit, and would like to have some matching mags, I'd be happy to trade them for unmarked/unissued mags.  The mags area actually in very good or better condition, just a little dirty around the sharp edges.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Someone has said before that the mags were not specifically ones trialed with the gun so they may not match the history of the gun.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Someone has said before that the mags were not specifically ones trialed with the gun so they may not match the history of the gun.
View Quote

I agree with this 100%.  Being .mil for a long time, I know that mags and guns don't go together, rarely if ever.  With the initial push of M17's to the Army you will see lots of pictures of them showing up to units as a complete package, but from that point everything was most likely pulled from the boxes and stored separately.  On deployment, if someone had an assigned sidearm and mags, they could have had the same items for a bit, but once they went to the arms room they probably went their own separate ways again (all of this is based on my personal experience, for others it may be different).  These early guns have a possibility of having some of the stuff match up, whereas a 20 year old M9 is never going to be matched to any mags it may have come with, if they did at all?

I'm not really a collector, but I know some people are.  Plenty of folks have received unit letters or FOIA letters with unit information, and their guns and mags may or may not have markings to match.  My goal here is to just offer up mags with markings that may match their gun, their other mags, or their letters, should someone be interested in that.  If no one is interested, I'm cool with that, just figured their may be someone who would be interested and an even Steven swap is fine by me as my pistol and 17 round mag have no markings of any kind and my FOIA letter states that it was never issued to a Unit, just sat in the warehouse and looked at once a year until turned in.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I agree with this 100%.  Being .mil for a long time, I know that mags and guns don't go together, rarely if ever.  With the initial push of M17's to the Army you will see lots of pictures of them showing up to units as a complete package, but from that point everything was most likely pulled from the boxes and stored separately.  On deployment, if someone had an assigned sidearm and mags, they could have had the same items for a bit, but once they went to the arms room they probably went their own separate ways again (all of this is based on my personal experience, for others it may be different).  These early guns have a possibility of having some of the stuff match up, whereas a 20 year old M9 is never going to be matched to any mags it may have come with, if they did at all?

I'm not really a collector, but I know some people are.  Plenty of folks have received unit letters or FOIA letters with unit information, and their guns and mags may or may not have markings to match.  My goal here is to just offer up mags with markings that may match their gun, their other mags, or their letters, should someone be interested in that.  If no one is interested, I'm cool with that, just figured their may be someone who would be interested and an even Steven swap is fine by me as my pistol and 17 round mag have no markings of any kind and my FOIA letter states that it was never issued to a Unit, just sat in the warehouse and looked at once a year until turned in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sent you an email.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I am letting two of my surplus M17s go, TF001876 and TF001301. I have listed them in the handgun section of EE here, as well as the Heavenly Matches group on facebook. Are there any other areas where this may find interest that I should list them? Curious if there are any other enthusiast forums for the M17s.

Thanks!

ETA - Nevermind, they already sold... that was quick
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am letting two of my surplus M17s go, TF001876 and TF001301. I have listed them in the handgun section of EE here, as well as the Heavenly Matches group on facebook. Are there any other areas where this may find interest that I should list them? Curious if there are any other enthusiast forums for the M17s.

Thanks!

View Quote

Man I wish I would have seen this sooner!

Someone sell me a surplus M17 please! Email me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

You obviously set your price too low.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess so. It was less than they are going for on GB, but still not what I would consider a steal. Oh well, they funded the new Vortex Razor Gen iii 1-10 on a Scalarworks mount, so I am happy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I guess so. It was less than they are going for on GB, but still not what I would consider a steal. Oh well, they funded the new Vortex Razor Gen iii 1-10 on a Scalarworks mount, so I am happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These will only continue to go up in price. I think people realize this. When these are selling for $2500 and up, people will say “ I should of bought more when they were selling for $1500.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

These will only continue to go up in price. I think people realize this. When these are selling for $2500 and up, people will say “ I should of bought more when they were selling for $1500.
View Quote

The problem is that these are an ongoing acquisition. It's only right to think at some point, more surplus will be released. So yes, these will always have a certain value being an early surplus. But I'm interested in what will happen to the price as more are released into the market.

Then again, that could be years or decades down the road, or never happen. All a gamble if you are picking one of these up as "an investment"

Link Posted: 7/29/2020 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The problem is that these are an ongoing acquisition. It's only right to think at some point, more surplus will be released. So yes, these will always have a certain value being an early surplus. But I'm interested in what will happen to the price as more are released into the market.

Then again, that could be years or decades down the road, or never happen. All a gamble if you are picking one of these up as "an investment"

View Quote

These are not surplus, they are decommissioned. There is a big difference. Surplus being have more supply than needed. These were part of a lot of guns that were not kept due to changes in the gun parts and deemed no longer needed. There isn’t an unneeded supply of these guns sitting around that will be surpluses.

They’re not an ongoing acquisition. There was a finite number and according to both the Army and Sig, what was released is all that will be released. Any surplus guns released say in 15 years will still not be part of the first batch of trial guns that make up these decommissioned guns.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

These are not surplus, they are decommissioned. There is a big difference. Surplus being have more supply than needed. These were part of a lot of guns that were not kept due to changes in the gun parts and deemed no longer needed. There isn’t an unneeded supply of these guns sitting around that will be surpluses.

They’re not an ongoing acquisition. There was a finite number and according to both the Army and Sig, what was released is all that will be released. Any surplus guns released say in 15 years will still not be part of the first batch of trial guns that make up these decommissioned guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're both right.  They were decommissioned, but marketed as surplus.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Not to mention the surprising of govt firearms is essentially banned thanks to Bill Clinton and the Cheeto won't be overturning that anytime soon.

Have you had your hands on a surplus M9 yet? I didn't think so.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a M/17 and the slide would stop short about 1/8 in, I posted on a another forum about this gun , and I was a idiot , did not know what I was talking about etc . They were the ones that did not have a clue, I see others had this happen also and know what it is now . Mine has been flawless so far .
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had a M/17 and the slide would stop short about 1/8 in, I posted on a another forum about this gun , and I was a idiot , did not know what I was talking about etc . They were the ones that did not have a clue, I see others had this happen also and know what it is now . Mine has been flawless so far .
View Quote

The LGS that did my transfer must have been finger fucking the pistol before I arrived, because they tried to tell me I needed a new spring and demonstrated how it wouldn’t return the battery.  I locked it back, depressed the slide lock, and allowed it to return to position normally. I said, “Works fine,” and left without explaining pretension to them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I submitted my FOIA request on April 15  for serial number 2785 so I'm anxiously awaiting my letter!
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I recently acquired SN TF004205. How do I find out more info on these guns? Who would I send an FOIA request too?

It’s definitely got some use on it as well as a sharpied #6 on the left side by the safety lever.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I recently acquired SN TF004205. How do I find out more info on these guns? Who would I send an FOIA request too?

It’s definitely got some use on it as well as a sharpied #6 on the left side by the safety lever.
View Quote

Office of the Assistant Secretary Of the Army (Acquisition, Logistics, And Technology)
103 Army Pentagon Room 2E533
Washington DC 20310
Email: [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Do I have to fill out any specific form for FOIA or just write a written request to Office of the Assistant Secretary?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Does the rear iron sight cover it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Anyone know how to cover the hole up? It's Kind of annoying.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/136887/58087161317-A2-A6-BB2-E-BD9-A-47-EB-99-A-1594519.jpg
View Quote

Honestly, black electrical tape
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#49]
M17 RMR plate w/rear sight
This was posted on an earlier page
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 40
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top