Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
...Oh shit I was wondering why I found that picture so amusing but hadn’t made the connection until now, that was completely unintentional
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Little guy needs a little leather sofa.
View Quote

ETA: and some pig tails too!
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMLI7MnAsYt/?igshid=ttqgrj1mvm1z

I FINALLY got some time to get to the range with the EVO320. This was the first shakedown after getting it back in completed form from my gunsmith and it ran flawlessly as intended, never choked once on any of the 124gr NATO rounds. I did also run a handful of standard pressure 115 and 124gr loads through it as an experiment, and as I expected it had some difficulty on the lower pressure rounds - weak ejection on the ones that did eject, and stovepipes about 15% of the time. The RS320s can handle standard pressure ammo with the smaller two-port comps, but with the larger three-port comp on the EVO320 that extra gas pressure really becomes a necessity. I only ever buy 124gr NATO/+P loads in bulk though, so that won’t be an issue. A couple other shooters including a RSO got curious and asked about it and I let them all shoot several rounds as well, each of them commenting on how soft/easy it is to shoot. I’m absolutely thrilled with how this gun has turned out, and all that’s left to do now is to feed it all the ammo I can get my hands on!

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Dang man that looks like a soft shooter

Alsolove the optic mount and no sights look
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dang man that looks like a soft shooter

Alsolove the optic mount and no sights look
View Quote

It’s incredibly soft and pleasant to shoot. The original mission statement for the EVO320 build was always “Because fuck recoil”, and every modification and upgrade have worked to achieve and surpass that goal. Between the low reciprocating weight of the slide, the metal grip module, the comp, and the WML hanging below the bore axis, the recoil feels more like a dull thud straight backward into the palm rather than the (comparatively) sharp rotation around the center of gravity. It’s really quite astounding when compared back to back with my brother’s stock FNX9 that we took out today as well.

I really believe in several years more handguns will be moving toward the non-reciprocating RDS solution as well, as more pistol optics prove reliable enough to leave the BUIS off. We’ve seen a couple companies dabble with non-reciprocating optic-only setups already (B&T USW and Laugo Alien for example). It’s such a superior solution for mounting optics in terms of shootability, tracking the dot through recoil, durability and longevity of the optic itself, etc
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Snowed in and staying warm here in CO. Hope everyone’s having a good weekend!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright I think it’s time to give a bit more substantial update here about what’s been going on and the status of these project guns. For those of you who aren’t aware, on the morning of March 16th I was hospitalized with a stroke (PSA of the month, don’t crack your neck at home). I received brain surgery on the 17th to allow the tissue to swell and drain normally. I’ve been resting comfortably at home since the morning of the 22nd, with interspersed scheduling of doc and physical/visual therapy appointments. Although it had the potential to be much more severe, I seem to have gotten off lucky with the only lasting results being a bit of double vision and some very slight instability when I walk - both of which I’m assured can be resolved via said therapies.

Moving on from the pity party, how does this effect the gun projects I’ve currently got going? The answer is, quite simply, not much. While it will take some time before I personally feel comfortable with live fire again, it turns out that pistol sights - both red dots and irons - make for some pretty effective visual therapy practice, so I’ll be maintaining my safe dryfire schedule going forward. There are no outstanding components or work to be done on the P320s and the money I set aside for the Pug knuckle grip is unaffected by my medical woes. The maker I’ve contracted to create them is hammering out the design with his business partner and there should be more significant updates in the near future.

In the meantime I’ll continue lurking and engaging on these forums as I have previously. If anyone has any questions or just wants to chat you’re of course always welcome to post here or send me a PM any time. My apologies for the delay in updates over the last few weeks and the slightly off-topic nature of this expository post. I can assure everyone that I, and by direct extension these projects, aren’t going anywhere any time soon!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#8]
"I have to practice, it's medicinal!"

Get well and keep posting updates.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"I have to practice, it's medicinal!"

Get well and keep posting updates.

View Quote

Something like that Thank you, much appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 6:10:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Hang in there man!

A little down time might do ya some good. Give you some time to decide the next crazy project you want to begin
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hang in there man!

A little down time might do ya some good. Give you some time to decide the next crazy project you want to begin
View Quote

Agreed! I’m fairly certain I’ll be looking to pick up a M18 once the Pug is completed and I’ve recovered some. I was considering a ported X-Five build, but compensators > ports. Maybe the X-Five after the M18
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Vision’s getting better even before starting proper visual therapy. The sights on my pistols (RDS and front sight) now appear to be one, relatively crisp dot as opposed to distinctly two different, very fuzzy points as they were when I first got home. Next range trip is scheduled for my brother’s birthday in two weeks and I plan to attend and shoot then. Early signs are good!
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Good news man keep it coming. Take pics on the range trip.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 6:06:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I’m still waiting on my PMM barrel and micro comp to complete my X-Compact. When I am done, my goal is that it will be the same footprint and work with my M18 holsters. The comp making up the difference in barrel length.

https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/store/p417/PMM_P320__Micro_JTTC_and_Barrel_Combo.html
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’m still waiting on my PMM barrel and micro comp to complete my X-Compact. When I am done, my goal is that it will be the same footprint and work with my M18 holsters. The comp making up the difference in barrel length.

https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/store/p417/PMM_P320__Micro_JTTC_and_Barrel_Combo.html
View Quote

Nice! It’ll probably still be a couple millimeters past the M18 muzzle but most holsters should still accommodate it, unless they’re extremely form-fitting
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#16]

First post-stroke range trip is in the bag and I believe my shooting has not been made significantly worse (or better for that matter) by recent medical issues, so that’s a relief. Put a couple hundred rounds through all three P320s and the party popper just focusing on breath, trigger press, and sights, and I think the results show.

Again no malfunctions to report on the trio, even shooting quite a bit of JHP today. I’m running way too low on NATO FMJ...

Neurovision therapy starts tomorrow so hopefully it just improves from here!
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#17]

No better way to spend a birthday than dirtying some guns at the range and then cleaning them thoroughly at home with family. Still no malfunctions shooting and all optics/lights got fresh batteries and function checks, except the 508T as it’s still relatively new. By next birthday the plan is to get it replaced with a Gen2 since it’ll be time to take it off to change the battery anyway.

It’s now just about two months out from the unexpected stroke in March and I have to note I’m so thankful I’m spending my birthday at the range shooting targets, when I really still ought to be at a rehab center relearning how to walk. I don’t know how I got so lucky when things went bad but I’m definitely not taking any of this for granted going forward!
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Sitting at home dryfiring the trio a bit while thinking about a Recoil article I read earlier today. Take a peek: https://www.recoilweb.com/the-multi-caliber-glock-solution-for-ammo-panics-hail-hydra-167337.html

Given the difficulty everyone is still having sourcing 9milly these days, the article makes a persuading argument for having a gun that can be converted between 9mm and 40S&W/357Sig specifically for the purposes of having multiple caliber options when going ammo shopping and practicing. I’m thinking it wouldn’t be too difficult to find a Compact 357Sig top end assembly, get it milled for an optic, swap to a threaded/comped barrel and build up a few designated magazine assemblies for the caliber for RS320B. Wouldn’t have any intention of straying from the 9mm for carry use, but for range purposes having a gun that could shoot a more easily sourced round is mighty tempting these days...
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sitting at home dryfiring the trio a bit while thinking about a Recoil article I read earlier today. Take a peek: https://www.recoilweb.com/the-multi-caliber-glock-solution-for-ammo-panics-hail-hydra-167337.html

Given the difficulty everyone is still having sourcing 9milly these days, the article makes a persuading argument for having a gun that can be converted between 9mm and 40S&W/357Sig specifically for the purposes of having multiple caliber options when going ammo shopping and practicing. I’m thinking it wouldn’t be too difficult to find a Compact 357Sig top end assembly, get it milled for an optic, swap to a threaded/comped barrel and build up a few designated magazine assemblies for the caliber for RS320B. Wouldn’t have any intention of straying from the 9mm for carry use, but for range purposes having a gun that could shoot a more easily sourced round is mighty tempting these days...
View Quote

I'm having more trouble getting a threaded barrel and comp than 9mm lol.

My M18 is next for the Feauxland treatment
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Just checking in on this thread after a bit. Wow lots of work. In the meantime. Anyone know of people doing threaded .40S&W barrels and comps?
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 5:44:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm having more trouble getting a threaded barrel and comp than 9mm lol.

My M18 is next for the Feauxland treatment
View Quote

Bar-Sto makes match grade barrels for the M18/17 that can be threaded specifically for a 1/2x28 comp;

https://shop.springerprecision.com/p320-m17-match-grade-barrel-9mm/

When I do get a M18, that’s more likely than not the barrel I’ll be going with to get it comped the way I like
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just checking in on this thread after a bit. Wow lots of work. In the meantime. Anyone know of people doing threaded .40S&W barrels and comps?
View Quote

As much as I mention them, Bar-Sto is the only company I know of offering barrels of any size, threaded or not, in either 40 or 357 for the P320 platform:

https://barsto.com/product-category/barrels/sig-sauer/sig-320-barrels/

I would call or email before placing an order first though just to make sure you’re getting exactly the specs you’re wanting, they offer various sizes/thread pitches/etc that may not all be listed on their website. Unfortunately I haven’t found anyone offering a 40 caliber compensator for the platform yet, though I do hope that changes shortly after Sig releases the 10mm model
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

As much as I mention them, Bar-Sto is the only company I know of offering barrels of any size, threaded or not, in either 40 or 357 for the P320 platform:

https://barsto.com/product-category/barrels/sig-sauer/sig-320-barrels/

I would call or email before placing an order first though just to make sure you’re getting exactly the specs you’re wanting, they offer various sizes/thread pitches/etc that may not all be listed on their website. Unfortunately I haven’t found anyone offering a 40 caliber compensator for the platform yet, though I do hope that changes shortly after Sig releases the 10mm model
View Quote

Sig’s actually going to release a 10mm??!!??
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sig’s actually going to release a 10mm??!!??
View Quote

It’s been openly discussed and confirmed by Sig employees recently. No arrival date, but it confirms there are at least three different companies working on it to my knowledge - Sig themselves, Grayguns (which may be in partnership with Sig on the project), and Norsso. Listen here starting at the 16:38 mark, about as direct as an answer can get:

You Told Me to Ask Sig Sauer These 20 Questions...[TFBTV Interview with Sig]
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Went ahead and snagged about 650 rounds from a dealer at about $.50 per round today. Not great but not terrible and it’ll keep me supplied for a few range trips to come at least
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#26]

One thing I am moving forward on is getting a dedicated AIWB holster made for the EVO320. Reaching out to various custom kydex molders in Colorado to see if anyone can use the gun itself to make a holster from. I still have the hacked up Floodlight and it works...Kind of. It collapses too much under my belt when I draw to be able to reholster and it still scratches up the mount a bit each time. It’d be nice to get something that looks and functions like it was intended for the gun to begin with, rather than chopped up and made to fit
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Dedicated holster ordered up for the EVO320, courtesy of Off The Grid Concepts. The Floodlight worked as a good proof of concept, but this new bucket should be much more functional (and aesthetic) as it considers the optic mount from the ground up. Assuming the AIWB version is on point, I’ll also be ordering an OWB version with Safariland QLS bolt pattern. Onward we go!
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Apparently it’s shopping week for Project Nemesis. Confirmed an order for a Neomag clip to carry a spare magazine for the EVO320, to compliment the new holster. Went with the extended clip for one of my 23-round mags as a reload. It’ll take some time and drilling to get used to once I get it but looks like it’ll be worth the investment
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Pictures of holster are going to be required.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Initial re-up on NATO FMJ arrived today. Looking like I’ll be ordering up another case of 1,000 FMJ and several boxes of JHP a little later today though, so we’ll call this resupply part 1
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pictures of holster are going to be required.
View Quote

Excessive pictures of holster were a given. This ain’t my first rodeo

Actually part of getting the holster made was paying for the maker to order himself one of Atlas’s RMR/Holosun mounts to use during the molding process. Should make everything fit much more snugly and correctly when all done
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#32]

That should solve spare mag carry with the forthcoming new holster. Time to get some practice and new muscle memory in place
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2021_06/48289E01-BAB2-417E-8264-8F7D772A9CCD.jpeg.3d531b87b9e033a380fc5c700a29384e.jpeg

Initial re-up on NATO FMJ arrived today. Looking like I’ll be ordering up another case of 1,000 FMJ and several boxes of JHP a little later today though, so we’ll call this resupply part 1
View Quote

That is like more than what people make a month right there!! (As of a few months ago...)
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That is like more than what people make a month right there!! (As of a few months ago...)
View Quote

It certainly wasn’t as inexpensive as it used to be But you know, P320s gotta eat
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Another thousand rounds of high-pressure pistol food arrived for resupply part 2. A new manufacturer but still 124gr NATO FMJ spec, so should be close enough to the Winchester stuff I’m used to in order for the guns to like it. Other than this I’ve got several boxes of Winchester’s new USA Ready Defense 124gr +P JHP ammo incoming, which is more or less a Ranger bullet (Ready Defense is derived from Winchester’s new LE-only 147gr Ranger One load) with a rigid polymer piece in the nose to prevent clogging like Hornady’s Critical Duty. I’ll of course have to run some through the guns to make sure they don’t choke on it, but assuming not I can add it to my list of acceptable 124gr +P JHP loads. I feel some additional range time coming on in the near future…More to come
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I’m interested in trying this mount if it will work with a Leupold DPP.  Any thoughts on this?
View Quote

The particular mount I got will not work with a DPP, it has a Trijicon/Holosun footprint and bolt pattern. But…

https://atlasgunworks.com/product-details?id=2272512#product_detail

…That one will. DPP footprint and bolt so it’ll also work with R1P/probably R2 optics as well. The frame interface and height over slide is the same as the mount I used though. For ordering purposes, you do NOT need the optional shim
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#38]
@Sigifrith - You are planning to use the mount with either the AXG or Icarus Precision metal grip module, correct? Attaching the mount to a polymer grip module won’t work, it needs metal to screw into and the polymer dustcovers flex too much to hold zero
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@Sigifrith - You are planning to use the mount with either the AXG or Icarus Precision metal grip module, correct? Attaching the mount to a polymer grip module won’t work, it needs metal to screw into and the polymer dustcovers flex too much to hold zero
View Quote

Good point.  I was thinking of a Tungsten infused grip, but that probably won’t work either.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Good point.  I was thinking of a Tungsten infused grip, but that probably won’t work either.
View Quote

They are a bit more sturdy than the polymer ones but still too flexible for something like this.

I had the same idea for a Polymer80 inspired by Rudukai13. But their is simply too much flex.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah unfortunately that’s a no go as well. Icarus has been showing pictures of their upcoming X-Five-ish aluminum grip module, same grip profile and full length dustcover if you’re still wanting a similar base
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah unfortunately that’s a no go as well. Icarus has been showing pictures of their upcoming X-Five-ish aluminum grip module, same grip profile and full length dustcover if you’re still wanting a similar base
View Quote

I’ll have to think about that.  I have 3 complete X5’s, and need only a FCU for a 4th.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Trying something a little new from Winchester. As mentioned before, when looking for additional JHP I wasn’t able to find any Critical Duty in stock but this was available and seemed very similar. It’s a fairly new 124gr +P load from Winchester, but they tend to know their shit when it comes to JHPs so I’m not too worried. Got more than enough to see how my guns like it, so that’ll be included on my next range trip. Some bullet comparisons to follow - in all pics, Winchester on the left and Hornady on the right:

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Got some time in at the range today with the EVO320 and the new ZQI and Winchester ammo. 400 rounds, absolutely zero malfunctions. In a multitude of testing that included the new JHP rounds, the old Hornady JHP rounds, and the FMJ NATO loads, everything functioned as it should. This included several tests of mixed magazine loads of all three rounds (Note: I do not load magazines this way for actual carry, only for reliability testing. Don’t mix ammo in your carry mags, it’s not a good idea). The recoil profiles feel identical, I couldn’t differentiate which round was being fired. At least out to 7 yards, the POI shift among all three seemed to be so negligible as to be irrelevant - currently the gun is zeroed for the Hornady JHP at 25 yards. I did notice the ZQI NATO loads seem to be a bit dirtier than the Winchester NATO, so the gun got pretty fouled up. It’ll be cleaning time a little later today. All in all a great time and extremely positive results!
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Where did the name Roland come from?
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Meanwhile…

While I was shooting my brother was picking up his newest acquisition, a Custom Works FCU. Once his other parts get here that’ll be five P320s between the two of us. We’ll call that “a good start”
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Where did the name Roland come from?
View Quote

Long story short: The original build was a Glock 19 with a KKM threaded barrel and compensator, a RMR, and a X300U. It was put together by a guy named Chuck Pressburg who was an active moderator on the Primary & Secondary forums (among other qualifications) at the time under the username “Roland” or “Roland Deschain”, a reference to the character from The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Another moderator on the P&S forum dubbed the particular combination of parts a “Roland Special”, and the name stuck. These days the name more generally refers to any handgun with the combination of a comp, optic, and WML intended for carry or general purpose.

Check these threads out for more info:

http://primaryandsecondary.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-roland-special.827/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Official-Roland-Special-Glock-Thread-Also-faux-land-Fo-land-Carry-Comps/13-167712/
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#48]
A bit of personal improvement to the guns today:

The bottom of IP’s grip modules have these two screw holes left as an artifact of the machining process on the beavertail. Generally perfectly fine and unnoticeable. When you put the gun through some higher round count range sessions however the slight movement from recoil can add up and eventually rub some little raw spots on the webbing of your strong hand:

A quick fix for this is to fill the two holes from the bottom with JB Weld epoxy to smooth out the beavertail area and remove any cause for irritation that might otherwise be present:

Quick and simple fix for a bit more comfort to the shooter
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Never owned a Sig product in my life, but I wanted to drop in and say this thread is an absolute blast to follow.

Love your customized pistols, especially the frame  mounted optic model.

Cheers brother!
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Never owned a Sig product in my life, but I wanted to drop in and say this thread is an absolute blast to follow.

Love your customized pistols, especially the frame  mounted optic model.

Cheers brother!
View Quote

Thank you, much appreciated! It’s been a lot of fun putting them together. And of course there will be plenty more to come!
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top