Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2017 9:18:42 AM EDT
I am considering a caliber conversion change to my SIG P226 Legion SAO from 9mm to .40.

I was worried that the SAO gun would not handle the .40 conversion since they do not sell it that way, and the guy on the phone at SIG assured me that it was fine with SAO model.

I do want to be able to swap back-and-forth however between .40 and 9mm when needed. Is this a problem? It almost seems *too* simple: slide, barrel, guide rod and spring.

The reason I want to have the ability to shoot .40 before anyone flames me on how obsolete the .40 is, it is because I want to be able to make Major Power Factor for some USPSA matches that I shoot in.

Questions:

1) Has anyone converted a P226 SAO to .40?
2) Any issues swapping back and forth frequently? (I can't imagine anything, but it is better to ask and be safe...)

I realize that the conversion kit will not match my Legion coating, and I am fine with that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]
not sure on the P226 - BUT other threads i have read said you can only go down in caliber, not up  (ie 40 to 9mm).. The slide may not be designed to handle the higher pressure if you go up..

I converted a P239 from 40 to 9 and just installed a new barrel and new mags..

brian
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
not sure on the P226 - BUT other threads i have read said you can only go down in caliber, not up  (ie 40 to 9mm).. The slide may not be designed to handle the higher pressure if you go up..

I converted a P239 from 40 to 9 and just installed a new barrel and new mags..

brian
View Quote
Thanks for the reply.

Actually, the conversion kit includes a new slide. Also the barrel, guide rod and spring.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I actually looked at making a P226 .40SW SAO recently, as a USPSA Limited gun.

I believe there are small numbers of them out there in the wild that left the factory in that config. I saw one for sale locally here actually.

Search around on Brian Enos for info on assembling 140mm mags -- there is like one guy making basepads that will get you up to 17 or 18. I think people run modified STI followers/springs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I actually looked at making a P226 .40SW SAO recently, as a USPSA Limited gun.

I believe there are small numbers of them out there in the wild that left the factory in that config. I saw one for sale locally here actually.

Search around on Brian Enos for info on assembling 140mm mags -- there is like one guy making basepads that will get you up to 17 or 18. I think people run modified STI followers/springs.
View Quote
Thanks, that is great info. I will check out Enos forums for the mag info. Mec-Gar makes some magazines in .40 that will go to 13 or 15 rounds, but I'll take 17 or 18 any day.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks, that is great info. I will check out Enos forums for the mag info. Mec-Gar makes some magazines in .40 that will go to 13 or 15 rounds, but I'll take 17 or 18 any day.
View Quote
Yeah, definitely get a plan together before buying the tubes because only specific ones work with the basepads and various magwells.

I'm interested in your build, so please either keep me or this thread updated
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top