Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2017 11:00:00 AM EDT
I have always carried a glock 19 or other plastic pistols but a few months ago I switched to a sig m11a1 and love it.  I have always used some type of oil based lubricant on all of my handguns unless the manual says otherwise. The sig manual says I can use oil or grease and even came with oil based lubricant samples but would I be better served using a grease based lubricant on a pistol with a metal frame?

I have about 1500 rounds through it so far with oil lubricant and don't see any defects in the rails or frame but I don't want to assume that means everything is OK.

Am I good to go with oil or should I use grease in the m11a1?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I think your good either way. I use a grease on mine. Sigs like to run wet but no need to over do it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I use grease on mine. Doesn't sling off like oil does. However, if it's cold or the fitting of parts is tight like a match gun, grease can slow things down and give you cycling problems. Just don't let it run dry.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]
CLP
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I use grease because oil runs off and grease stays put.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I used just oil for decades. Now I put grease on the rails and outside of barrel, oil anywhere else. If it slides, grease. Otherwise oil. But you don't have to overthink it. Oil only isn't gonna kill your pistol.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#7]
grease on slides, oil for rest
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never used grease on any of mine. I just use clp or Remington oil.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I use basic CLP, just crossed the 3K round mark on my P238 and theres no signs of abnormal wear, the slide rails still even have 99% of their finish...
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to use oil on Sigs. Now all I use on them is TW25B grease. It works fine, but so did oil.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Light ptfe grease- Magnalube.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed^^^^^ grease.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Appreciate all the info and opinions my dudes, I am going to give grease a try on the frame/rails/slide and see how that goes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Slides get Lubriplate SFL0 except the Legion, which gets DuPont Krytox.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I use wheel bearing grease on the rails and oil everywhere else. I figure that wheel bearing grease can withstand more wear than about anything else on moving parts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I've used just about everything and it all works fine. If you ever shoot where it's cold some grease can be pretty sticky and slow your slide down. I don't think I ever had a failure but it's weird watching your slide in slow motion.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Always grease a P-series SIG frame.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been using TW25B grease with excellent results.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:50:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Just run it wet.  I've carried sigs for about 16 years or so...they run well when wet and badly when dry.  Grease isn't better and can load up with powder, pocket lint, and so on.

I run whatever oil is around, just lots of it.  I've gone thousands of round over the course of a month or more with nothing but applying more lube.  

Slip works well but CLP is fine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I use Slide Glide Lite on all my guns that have metal frames .
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I've always read to use grease on anything that slides...so I bought a set of these and a bunch of these, filled them with the grease, and use that on my Sig. The green stuff works really, really well, even when suppressing a gun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I seem to remember when I took the Sig academy course the guys recomended grease for rails except for real low temps. Years ago the expert 1911 guys like Wilson called for grease on 1911 rails also.The Glock course told us to leave the factory grease on Glocks for 300-500 rounds to break in ,then use whatever firearms oil we had on hand in small amounts

When I was running 1911s hard in IPSIC matches I mostly went with grease for the rails.

These days it is mostly a quick shot of CLP before a range trip and I mostly clean with CLP. Most lube type torture tests rate CLP as a pretty decent corroision preventive and with stored guns that is a big concern for me

I have come to the conclusion that most advanced wear I see on guns is not the fault of the type of lube but the fact that many folks don't lube
as long as the gun is running at all.

If I was running a bunch of guns hard like at a training school or a rental range I would use grease on all rails because I believe it would give me longer life but with a quick oil job with CLP everything I own will long outlive my sorry ass.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:15:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I seem to remember when I took the Sig academy course the guys recomended grease for rails except for real low temps.
View Quote
The Krytox I use on my Legion has a useful range of –30°F to 550°F  

If I encounter either of those conditions, the bad guys will have other more important things to do besides rob me.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#26]
For metal on metal (heck-just about anywhere friction is involved) I like grease.   It stays put.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just run it wet.  I've carried sigs for about 16 years or so...they run well when wet and badly when dry.  Grease isn't better and can load up with powder, pocket lint, and so on.

I run whatever oil is around, just lots of it.  I've gone thousands of round over the course of a month or more with nothing but applying more lube.  

Slip works well but CLP is fine.
View Quote
This.

Just keep it wet and it’ll run fine.  Never been a fan of grease, can be messy and and tends to attract the nasty stuff more so than oil.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I used TW25
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I've used both.  Never noticed any difference.  The grease fad started a few years ago.  Other than Garands almost no one used grease on firearms until about ten years ago.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think that's what I use. Sigs are the only guns I've greased
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been using TW25B grease with excellent results.
I think that's what I use. Sigs are the only guns I've greased
I use TW25B on all my steel or alloy frame pistols including 1911s and German SIG X Series Master Shop Pistols.

Plastic guns get Breakfree LP.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Been using Weapon Shield (the oil, not the grease). I do have a small tub of their grease as well, and I might give it a try on the slide rails when I next clean & lube.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:37:41 AM EDT
[#32]
TW25B
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:54:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I've always used grease on my handguns
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I use grease on my metal frame SIGs and oil on my Glocks.

IMHO grease provides better protection on the alloy frame wearing against a steel slide.

With the polymer handguns, it is steel inserts in the frame against a steel slide.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Tw25B is a light grease and I use it on all my pistol slides and barrel linkage seems to stay put longer and doesn't dry up.

My new P320 came with a packet of Lucas Oil lube, will have to try it out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Been using Weapon Shield (the oil, not the grease). I do have a small tub of their grease as well, and I might give it a try on the slide rails when I next clean & lube.
View Quote
OK, so I tried the Weapon Shield grease on my P226, and I cannot say that I loved it. I probably used too much, and it was a bit of a mess. It was difficult to clean, but I have to admit it was easier to clean than I thought it would be. I went back to oil on my last cleaning, but I might try the grease again, but use less of it this time.

I cannot say that the gun cycled any more smoothly with the grease than it did with the oil.

So is the benefit less wear and a longer gun life, or smoother operation?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#37]
If it slides, grease it.

It it rotates or is springy, oil it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If I encounter either of those conditions, the bad guys will have other more important things to do besides rob me.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I seem to remember when I took the Sig academy course the guys recomended grease for rails except for real low temps.

Dupont says krytox should not be used on aluminum bearings. It is in a krytox faq. Google it. I was going to use it until I read the FAQ.
 I use mobil 1 red synthetic grease on my sigs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Ideally for Sigs, stick with grease.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I used to use oil on Sigs. Now all I use on them is TW25B grease. It works fine, but so did oil.
View Quote
I went to the TW25 on pretty much any high wear points. Oil on small bits that just need to not bind up, TW25 on stuff where it's supposed to glide against another part. What I like is that I can put it on, work the mechanism a few times and then wipe off the excess that has moved. From that point on the equipment is fine until it's been used enough or gotten dirty enough to need cleaning again. Oil tends to slowly wander off and need replacing.

I'm vague on the description of what I use it on because I use it on a LOT of stuff, not just firearms. Reloading gear, hinges...  The only spot I would like to use it but don't is the AR's bolt. It gets used on the RAILS of the carrier, but no where else. The main reason for this is that it's easier to add a couple drops of oil and work the action a few times than get fresh grease in there and I'd rather not intentionally be mixing them at the range. Yeah, in theory if it was good to go when I left it's fine for most trips, but sometimes there's a bunch of people using one AR and the round count gets pretty high with some dirty ammo. I might be wrong, maybe I'd be better off with the grease and wouldn't have to relube, or maybe it wouldn't care about the mixing. I just know I've never had an issue doing it with just oil.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#41]
My only sig came with a small tube of grease... Sig grease...not sure what it is (manufacture wise)..but I normally use CLP.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This.
View Quote
Yep

I got a couple cheap plastic syringes and filled'em with grease. Do just like the article says.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 2:18:23 AM EDT
[#43]
I have experimented with a few, graphite powder was a bad idea. Graphite grease worked great.

I use grease very lightly on the barrel and then more on the rails. Rack side 10times and clean off the excess.

Mobile 1 red bearing grease.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I also use the TW25B on my Sigs. I only use it on the rails, and I use oil on everything else.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been using Wilson's Ultima lube grease on my hi powers for 25 ish years and also a 1988 P226. I usually wipe everything down with whatever oil is the closest to me and then grease the rails, manually run the slide a few times and wipe off the excess.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 4:48:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, especially important with a steel slide and aluminum frame
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top