Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2017 4:49:45 PM EDT
A pretty interesting story.  Comforting to know that the steel chasis withstood the damage.

Can read about it here

It was a box stock SIG P320 Tac Ops. The ammo was reloaded and was believed to be a double charge because of the amount of brass flow

I took a set of Digital calipers measure the barrel chamber the fire control unit which by the way was completely unharmed put a different group. Had to replace the extractor and all other components in the slide just to be on the safe side and ran about 35 rounds through it

Damage to the gun was obviously the Plastic Grip Panel, the extractor was sent into orbit. the shooter had one piece of brass in the top of his strong finger ( from ejection port, and something cut his upper lip) ( he WAS wearing eye protection) the magazine was not harmed. The gun was detail stripped and the Extractor, and all parts in the slide were replaced as a precaution. The Fire control unit was inspected and cleaned then placed in a new grip module.

Accuracy has been tested as well and not affected.

Pretty amazing that the gun still works! Is this a testament to Sig Sauer build quality? Or a one in a million chance that everything went well as much as possible?

And in case you might think this is an isolated issue, I have different source, who also wishes to remain anonymous, also experienced something similar.

My daughter had a factory double charge go off in her p320. Besides scaring the hell out of her she was fine. She actually finished the match with that gun.
   I put a new extractor in, changed the grip, fired 200 rounds real quick to function check.
   She is still shooting the same gun to this day. Only thing that was changed was the frame & extractor. This was 7months & about 10,000 rounds later. With same fcu, striker, slide, extractor spring.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. I think polymer framed guns tend to do better in catastrophic failures because of their flexibility. It allows the energy an exit.

Not so with metal framed guns.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
That didn't take long.

The beauty of the chassis is that all the rest is easily replaceable.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I know neither of those stories can be true because they seamed to have easily gotten spare parts from SIG.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lets be careful where this goes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know neither of those stories can be true because they seamed to have easily gotten spare parts from SIG.
I gotta admit I chuckled at his reply. 

Now back to tech.  I'm not surprised at the durability of the P320 system. It makes a lot of sense and honestly is one of the things I had figured would happen in the event of a kaboom. 
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Came into this forum about to post this as well. Glad I looked. Someone will post in GD and try to poke the bears.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I would not say "one in a million chance that everything went well as much as possible".

I had something similar happen to me with a P250.  I learned my lesson of not using someone else's reload and to always wear eye protection, which I do.  

Anyway, gun went bang, bullet left the barrel, my hand and face got splatter, and the plastic grip lower was only cracked.  There was not other damage to the gun.

I think SIG have great quality.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read as more of a sarcastic indictment of parts availability rather than questioning the story.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I read as more of a sarcastic indictment of parts availability rather than questioning the story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And their CS in general. I've got a Sig rifle up for sale right now, a prospective buyer called Sig this week to ask about that specific serial number, and they told him it's a different model gun than it is.

Lost the sale because the buyer got skeptical of me and backed out. You had one job, Sig...
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Done
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top