Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt we've seen the final iteration of the pistol. It's still the XM-17, not the M-17.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you know if they're getting the tritium night sights?

They could probably save a pretty penny if they bought slides with contrast sights and no red dot cutout for issue to people who aren't really going into combat, and then only have slides with the tritium sights and MAYBE the red dot cutout for special cases.

Tbh if it were up to be I would get rid of the sight plate on the xm17. It's an extra thing that Sig has to do and therfore charge more for and it's another part for Sgt Dummy to fuck with and misplace. And does anyone seriously think the Army is ever going to start issuing RMRs on sidearms? I could MAYBE see special forces using RMRs on pistols, but they use whatever guns they want anyway, so why pay more for red dot cutouts on a mass issue sidearm?
View Quote
I doubt we will ever see Army issue red dots on rifles. I mean Special Forces use them, but they get to use whatever they want anyway.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:48:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I doubt we will ever see Army issue red dots on rifles. I mean Special Forces use them, but they get to use whatever they want anyway.
View Quote
You mean pistols right?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:02:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You mean pistols right?
View Quote
I read it as tongue-in-cheek about how soldiers don't need night sights on pistols. 20 years ago they said the same thing about optics on standard issue rifles.

That being said, if the mil goes with standard sights on the M17, it will be because of cost, not because of perceived lack of need.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I read it as tongue-in-cheek about how soldiers don't need night sights on pistols. 20 years ago they said the same thing about optics on standard issue rifles.

That being said, if the mil goes with standard sights on the M17, it will be because of cost, not because of perceived lack of need.
View Quote
Or the fact that tritium is only good for about 12 years and a lot of those pistols will sit in warehouses until the tritium dies.

From a taxpayer standpoint it makes more fiscal sense to use standard sights and maybe replace with night sights when necessary.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder if ETS will get in on mag production? Would be a goldmine for them
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:54:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wonder if ETS will get in on mag production? Would be a goldmine for them
View Quote
I wonder how much aftermarket stuff will be available in the next year or two.

Gray Guns and Apex are making triggers and Springer Precision makes guide rods and a few other parts.

I assume a semi-drop in or full gunsmith barrel is on the way from someone. Likely the same for aftermarket converion kits. Something like a 7.62x25 kit for the 45 frame might be fun to mess with although that ammo isn't as prevalent as it once was.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:53:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Weill I was on the fence to decide what my next handgun will be, but this latest development with more getting on board with the 320, means I will have to get another one to the other two that I already have. But which one? Black compact or black full size? Hmmmmm....
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone have the actual award press release from ICE?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#11]
A bit about the XM17. No mention of ICE but he probably wasn't aware of their testing during filming.

Edited to wonder about the barrel problems mentioned in the video. What is the issue? Accuracy problems? Premature wear on the locking and camming surfaces?

Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:20:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I was able to pickup a 320 Compact in 9mm. I ordered some extra magazines that I had a discount coupon for.  They are on backorder, go figure.
My gun was produced on President's Day (2/20/2017). I'd like to pick up a Full Size or Sub Compact X-change kit, but everyone seems to be sold out of the kit.
Rumor has it that Sig is / has added additional production capacity to fulfill the government contracts. Hopefully they can start filling these back orders.

In addition to the X-Change kits going up in price to $399, the P320 pistols price is creeping up as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#13]
At this point, if you want an x-change kit you'd be better off buying the complete gun and then selling off the FCU if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#14]
wife is getting my a FDE P320C 9mm for my birthday this month, was told it would be a 4-6 week wait on it.

Does this sound right as far as the wait? I have carried the same Glock for 16 yrs so there is no big hurry.

Can't decide on the carry or compact model.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
wife is getting my a FDE P320C 9mm for my birthday this month, was told it would be a 4-6 week wait on it.

Does this sound right as far as the wait? I have carried the same Glock for 16 yrs so there is no big hurry.

Can't decide on the carry or compact model.
View Quote
The way I look at it, is that for carry, the main difficulty in concealing the gun is the grip sticking out.  The barrel / slide goes down your leg, so I could care less if I have a full size barrel.  In fact I prefer it!  So in my opinion the "Carry" model is an oxymoron, you might as well have a full size gun if you're going to be concealing a full size grip.  Otherwise, get the smaller gun all around and go with the compact.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
Appealing on your lost bid is pretty much standard operating procedure now.  FN pistols .  The fact that hardly anybody uses any FN pistol as a duty gun, or even knows someone that owns one should be a clue that FN isn't what agencies are looking for in a duty weapon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Appealing on your lost bid is pretty much standard operating procedure now.  FN pistols .  The fact that hardly anybody uses any FN pistol as a duty gun, or even knows someone that owns one should be a clue that FN isn't what agencies are looking for in a duty weapon.
View Quote
They really like their FNS-40 at Arizona Department of Public Safety, kinda makes me want an FNS-9 just because.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#19]
FN has just announced a new handgun called the 509. It's a safe bet that this was the ICE contestant.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/4/17/fn-america-launches-mhs-entry-the-509-9-mm-pistol/
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Plenty of agencies use FN pistols.  I wouldn't say a whole lot of them but they're out there.  Gotta start somewhere though, not like you get market share overnight
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Columbia SC and Baltimore County MD are the only large ones I know of.   That 509 looks interesting.  The rear sight looks like it solved the one handed rack the slide issue.  Also it looks like they lowered the height of the ambi mag release to lessen the  chance of bumping it in the holster.  Hopefully they put the FNSL sized sear in it.  David
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The way I look at it, is that for carry, the main difficulty in concealing the gun is the grip sticking out.  The barrel / slide goes down your leg, so I could care less if I have a full size barrel.  In fact I prefer it!  So in my opinion the "Carry" model is an oxymoron, you might as well have a full size gun if you're going to be concealing a full size grip.  Otherwise, get the smaller gun all around and go with the compact.
View Quote
The difference in size is a quarter of an inch.  I have the 9mm Carry and have no problems carrying it.  Gives me two more rounds and a slightly more comfortable grip.  That said I think SIG sells more Compacts.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Glock mags are too wide at the top to fit through the fcu, but M9, 226 or BHP mags should be very doable
View Quote
M&P mags would probably fit also.

Someone is going to end up coming out with a grip module.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

M&P mags would probably fit also.

Someone is going to end up coming out with a grip module.
View Quote
The problem is that there isnt another mag design that does full size, compact and sub like 320, that are markedly cheaper besides the glock.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What about a Magpul grip module that accepts Magpul Glock mags? That ought to solve expensive proprietary mag issues.
View Quote
Wouldn't it be easier for magpul to make P320 Pmags instead??? This way anyone with a P320 can buy them instead of guys buying a grip module to accept other magazines?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Wouldn't it be easier for magpul to make P320 Pmags instead??? This way anyone with a P320 can buy them instead of guys buying a grip module to accept other magazines?
View Quote
Not this again

P320 modules should be made only for 320 mags and only 320 mags. If Magpul decides to make 320 mags, even better.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think it'll be possible to make a plastic 320 mag. At least not one that's full capacity.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I haven't seen this posted on arfcom yet but it appears the ICE selection that has been rumored for a few months is official.  These will be purchased in the Compact configuration.  

No word yet on when the first guns are to be received but I imagine we'll see initial deliveries soon.  

SIG is really stepping up their game with the 320.  While not a DoD contract the ICE contract is still a nice feather in SIG's cap.
View Quote

will we ever see sig stand up again to big brother on things like the pistol brace and muzzlebrake definition

hmmmm, i doubt it

a 4D chess move might suggest that was the whole point
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:02:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

will we ever see sig stand up again to big brother on things like the pistol brace and muzzlebrake definition

hmmmm, i doubt it

a 4D chess move might suggest that was the whole point
View Quote
The brace definition issue has recently been addressed, the ATF recently changed their stance on shouldering a pistol brace.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#31]
ICE may select P320 X-Carry.

This is interesting.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm still waiting to see the official contract.  Of course it doesn't matter as most carry what they want anyway.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is interesting.
View Quote
This makes me wonder about caliber/frame size choice in the day and age of modular pistols.

I assume the ICE solicitation was for a Glock 19 sized pistol. At least that's the gun ICE was rumored to want.

If that is true and the contract solicitation was put out for a medium-sized 9mm pistol how far can ICE push the envelope? Can ICE buy full-size pistols or pistols in a different caliber within the contract?

If a company doesn't make a medium-sized pistol (S&W M&P) and didn't submit because of size restriction what recourse does this same company have if and when ICE starts buying full-size pistols?

That's assuming that the chassis system wasn't specifically required by ICE.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is interesting.
I'm happy that Sig won the ICE contract but story is a whole lot of nothing.  

Now, rumors among ICE officers indicate that the agency will attempt to buy the Sig Sauer P320 with the X-Carry variant frame.
But, their website is getting clicks; which is, after all, the most important thing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

But, their website is getting clicks; which is, after all, the most important thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is interesting.

Now, rumors among ICE officers indicate that the agency will attempt to buy the Sig Sauer P320 with the X-Carry variant frame.
I've heard the rumor they are trying to get the xframe as well, but who knows.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I have what was suppose to be a draft of the ICE solicitation at the office.  I'll look over it and see. I know the solicitation I wrote was for specific criteria.  Sig won the award with the P320 that fit the criteria.  We order a specific model at an agreed price. I would think if Sig supplies a P320 at the contract price, whether it is a Carry or Carry X would not be an issue as long as they meet the original bid price.   David
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Any word from ICE about this contract in light of recent developments?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Any word from ICE about this contract in light of recent developments?
View Quote
I can't imagine anything will happen.

SIG apparently has a fix, and I would imagine it will be implemented on whatever pistols they manufacture for ICE.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have what was suppose to be a draft of the ICE solicitation at the office.  I'll look over it and see. I know the solicitation I wrote was for specific criteria.  Sig won the award with the P320 that fit the criteria.  We order a specific model at an agreed price. I would think if Sig supplies a P320 at the contract price, whether it is a Carry or Carry X would not be an issue as long as they meet the original bid price.   David
View Quote
Incorrect.  They would need to supply exactly what was contracted for unless a modification was done to the contract.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I can't imagine anything will happen.

SIG apparently has a fix, and I would imagine it will be implemented on whatever pistols they manufacture for ICE.
View Quote
Has ICE not received any 320s for general issue then?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:30:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not that I've seen around here.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:59:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A bit about the XM17. No mention of ICE but he probably wasn't aware of their testing during filming.

Edited to wonder about the barrel problems mentioned in the video. What is the issue? Accuracy problems? Premature wear on the locking and camming surfaces?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOHeASx7tdw
View Quote
The Army selecting the P320 or any pistol for that matter is the best thing that can happen to that design. Case in point, the M1911 and M9. Both pistols benefited from their years of service. Materials were changed, designs were tweaked, and flaws were fixed. Because of this, these pistols will live on. Tricked out 1911s and Berettas like the M9A1, M9A3, 92A1, and Wilson Combat Tactical 92 all exists because of the M9. Sig has a chance to make one of the best polymer framed, striker fired pistols ever now. Any actual or perceived weaknesses or flaws will be addressed through out it's service life. Personally I am intrested to see what the M17 becomes 10-20 years from now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Not necessarily new info but it does summarize what we know up to this point:

Americanrifleman.org  
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:01:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not necessarily new info but it does summarize what we know up to this point:

Americanrifleman.org  
View Quote
That is a good article, it sums up things nicely. The original technical discussion on this was re-opened.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Updated trigger parts drop test

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't seen any either.  I don't think a contract was ever signed
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Very interesting: http://soldiersystems.net/2017/10/12/dhs-selects-sig-sauer-p320/

X-carry frame with regular slide and trigger?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top