Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2002 8:58:28 AM EDT
I would like to install some night sights on my Sig 226, but Sigarms is quoting me $175.00 to do the job. Is there a cheaper way to do this? I dont have any reliable gunsmiths near me, so that isnt really an option. I am pretty handy with basic gunsmithing stuff, and am considering trying to put em on myself, but I dont want to ruin my gun. Is this something I could do. If so, what tools would i need. I noticed Sig sells a sight adjustment tool. Would I need this tool? What would be the best sights to use? Trijicon? Sig Factory Sights? Thanks in advance for the help.

Jamon
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#1]
This is not rocket science.  

It can be accomplished with a padded vise, the proper size steel or brass punch, and a hammer.

I recently drifted out my P225 sights in preparation for slide rebluing.  The rear sight was easy to use a brass drift punch on, just go slow.  The front sight was somewhat tougher because the edges of the dovetail piece are beveled which needed a steel punch.   Be extra careful with the steel punch, it is easy for it to skid off the surface and mar something.  I had good results by angling the punch slightly downward into the slide instead of perpendicular to it.  This reduced the tendency of the punch tip to skate off somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#2]
jamon-
Trijicon makes the SIG factory night sights so you can save a few bucks by shopping around. www.brownells.com will sell you a sight pusher for SIG's that will make installing and adjusting them a much easier experience. Yes it will cost about eighty bucks but if you think you may be buying and shooting more SIG's in the future it may well be worth it. With a sight pusher you can adjust, or even change out your sights right at the range. No other tools needed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi B27, glad to see you here.

Go ahead and get the sight pusher. You would spend that much to have someone do them for you and it sure does make life easier. While you're looking at night sights, I suggest you take a really close look at the Asley Standard size Night Sights. They are the best that I've found yet. The day and night image is the same, a classic bar dot system and they work really well in all light levels.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, where can I find the sight pusher tool for Sigs?  I looked on Brownells, but the one they carry only works on the rear sights.  I would like to buy the tool that is made by Sigarms, but cant seem to find it anywhere. Anyone have info on this?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#5]
jamon-

have you checked the Sig Forum

www.sigforum.com/

or Guns America

www.gunsamerica.com/

to see if anyone is offering one for sale?

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
OK, where can I find the sight pusher tool for Sigs?  I looked on Brownells, but the one they carry only works on the rear sights.  I would like to buy the tool that is made by Sigarms, but cant seem to find it anywhere. Anyone have info on this?

Call SiGArms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top