Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2003 4:22:36 PM EDT
Before I start, I just ask that you bear with me; I'm relatively new to pistol shooting so my technical terminology isn't very good.

I shot my new G19 for the first time today and I ran into a strange surprise.  The pistol has some serious trouble chambering rounds.  When the slide is locked back and I insert a new magazine, the pistol won't chamber a round when I release the slide catch.  The action moves forward slightly, and then becomes caught up on the rear of the pistol.  In effect, the bullet becomes a new slide catch.  
If I rack the slide a few times, the bullet finally goes in.

I thought this was a magazine problem at first, but I tried the other mag and the same thing happened.  I tried different ammo, and the same thing happened.  I'm bummed.  I was really looking forward to finally having enough money to buy one of these.  Any idea what on earth is wrong?  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:06:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I have new 10rd. Glock 19 mags, but I must admit that I have never even loaded them since I have a bunch of prebans I use in my new 19. This may well be an issue with your followers...the part upon which the cartridges rest when loaded in the magazine...or it could possibly just be that the new springs have not taken a "work set" yet. Not being a Glock Guru, I seem to recall something about some 9mm followers being sent out that were not in-spec at some time in the past, but I could be wrong about that. You might try Glock Talk and see what the guys there have to say about this:
www.glocktalk.com/

In the meantime, the gun should work fine by inserting the mag into the pistol with slide forward and working the slide to chamber the first round. (You can also try releasing the locked slide onto a loaded mag by pulling it to the rear and letting go.) When the slide moves to the rear during the extraction / ejection stroke, it passes over the top round in the mag and helps to lift the bullet nose slightly just prior to the forward feed stroke, which is why it will probably shoot fine and work correctly if you chamber the first round from a slide-forward position.

Go shoot it first and see if the problem continues or disappears...I'm betting within 200rd. it will go away.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:20:30 AM EDT
[#2]
it's not a slide release lever, it is a slide lock lever. befor putting the mag in, take the loaded mag and give the back of the mag a hard smack on the palm of your hand to seat the rounds in the mag. with the slide locked back and a loaded magazine inserted, pull the slide back as far as you can, and let go. do not ride the slide forward with your hand, just  let the slide go. i was thinking the slide lock lever may need replacing, but you said you bought it new not used. this gun  is under warrenty. call glock and talk to one of their armorers. they will be glad to help. and if it needs to be fixed, they will do it free of charge. here is their phone number. good luck.

Glock Inc. Smyrna Georgia. 1-770-432-1202
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
it's not a slide release lever, it is a slide lock lever. befor putting the mag in, take the loaded mag and give back of the mag a hard smack on the palm of your hand to seat the rounds in the mag. with slide locked back and a loaded magazine inserted, pull the slide back as far as you can, and let go. do not ride the slide forward with your hand, just  let the slide go. i was thinking the slide lock lever may need replacing, but you said you bought it new not used. glocktalk.com is a great place for technical info, but watch out for WalterGA. this gun  is under warrenty. call glock and talk to one of their armorers. they will be glad to help. and if it needs to be fixed, they will do it free of charge. here is their phone number. good luck.

Glock Inc. Smyrna Georgia. 1-770-432-1202

Good advice here.

If the above procedure doesn't work
CALL GLOCK !!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top