Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2006 3:56:23 PM EDT
I ordered slug plugs for all of the officers at my Dept carrying 27's. Most of them ankle carry while in uniform. Got the plugs today and found that they don't fit right, at least in my 27. It would appear that there should be a half moon cut in the mag-well, you can see the outline but the cut is not there thus the plug will not slide into place.

I have yet to check any of the others, they never mentioned anything about this is armors school , at least that I remember. Anyone have an idea or do I need to post pics?

You can see the area that has a line for a cut

This is how the plug is fitting, I'm 99% sure I have the right plug as they sent all of them in individually marked boxes, doubt they could screw up all of the the same way.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#1]
OK now I'm really confused, had an officer check on his 26 and he said it was the same way? How are these things suppose to fit?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
mine is rounded on my 26 and the plug fits nice...thats strange!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Different gen glocks have a half moon cut out in the mag well. If you look at the forst pic posted youll see the mold line for this cut out. I ran into the same issue and pulled out the dremel. I did not dremel the gun, rather I dremeled the plug. If you take the plug and draw a straight line accross the half moon portion that wond go in, useing a sanding drum carefully and slowly, while test fitting every so often, sand down the raised edge of the plug till there is a straight edged lip accross the entire wideth of the plug. it took me literaly 2 minutes to fit mine to my G26... Did it last week. Only other option would be to try a different brand of plug or dremel the magwell at the outline.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Different gen glocks have a half moon cut out in the mag well. If you look at the forst pic posted youll see the mold line for this cut out. I ran into the same issue and pulled out the dremel. I did not dremel the gun, rather I dremeled the plug. If you take the plug and draw a straight line accross the half moon portion that wond go in, useing a sanding drum carefully and slowly, while test fitting every so often, sand down the raised edge of the plug till there is a straight edged lip accross the entire wideth of the plug. it took me literaly 2 minutes to fit mine to my G26... Did it last week. Only other option would be to try a different brand of plug or dremel the magwell at the outline.

It would take forever to dremmel them all, I still may try it on at least one. Does antone know of a brand of plug that will fit ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK now I'm really confused, had an officer check on his 26 and he said it was the same way? How are these things suppose to fit?

What gen is your Glock 26?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#6]
My 26 is only about a month old, so a Gen 3... Recent manufacture.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is my G27

The only difference I see is that the bottom of your grip is squared off and mine is a arc. The plug on yours looks like it should seat further into the grip but is prevented by the squared off grip.

ETA: Didn't read the entire post, you noticed the grip issue also. Not sure why yours is different then mine. I also checked my 19,22,and 23 and they all look alike
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
My G26 is about 3 years old and has the half moon cut-out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:49:27 AM EDT
[#9]
There are plugs that fit flush with the bottom of the grip.

There are plugs that extend out and act as a funnel to help you insert a magazine.

It looks like the ones you have were designed to stick out.

If you are going to carry concealed, you want the ones that fit flush.

In my opinion, plugs should not be used on duty guns. Just my opinion.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I agree whole heartedly!  That hole in the BACK of the receiver is there for a reason!

Don't be a plug tard!  There's no reason for them.  What are you trying accomplish with these gizmos?

I carried a G27 for years in an ankle holster outside of my boots.  The thing was constantly filthy.  Never a problem though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree whole heartedly!  That hole in the BACK of the receiver is there for a reason!  Care to elaborate on that one?

Don't be a plug tard!  There's no reason for them.  What are you trying accomplish with these gizmos?Give them 110% more thust per pull right?  Really just looking for a way to keep the lint and junk from building up

I carried a G27 for years in an ankle holster outside of my boots. Gotta ask, do you mean that it was outside of the pants too? That was OK at your department?  The thing was constantly filthy.  Never a problem though.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Here is my G27

The only difference I see is that the bottom of your grip is squared off and mine is a arc. The plug on yours looks like it should seat further into the grip but is prevented by the squared off grip.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/got_guns/CIMG0291.jpg

ETA: Didn't read the entire post, you noticed the grip issue also. Not sure why yours is different then mine. I also checked my 19,22,and 23 and they all look alike

Thanks for the pic, kinda odd that mine does not have the cut, oh well I'll have to see what the others look like.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Why?
And what excactly is the hole there for?
(No flames just curious.)
I think it finishes up the gun nicely.The flush ones that is.
GLOCK-23
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I carried a G27 for years in an ankle holster outside of my boots. Gotta ask, do you mean that it was outside of the pants too? That was OK at your department?  The thing was constantly filthy.  Never a problem though.

I am fairly certain that he means outside of his boot and inside of his pants. (the normal way)
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Dude ... I think you have it inserted backasswards!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?
And what excactly is the hole there for?
(No flames just curious.)
I think it finishes up the gun nicely.The flush ones that is.
GLOCK-23

Okay, I'll get flamed for this, but here is my opinion.

The hole is there for a reason. Remember that under stress fingers (fine motor skills) turn to flippers (don't work as well.) If you have to reload under stress, and your magazine does not drop free, you have to rip it out. Or, if you have some types of malfunctions you have to rip the magazine out to clear the jam.

The hole gives you space to insert your thumb in order to get a better grip on the magazine and rip it free. Without it you have very little surface area to grasp and again - under stress - you may not be able to get a good grip and get the magazine out. Add gloves and its really difficult to do.

The original glock magazines did not drop free, and you had to rip them out. That's why there was the half circle cut out fore and aft.

Now many will say that I'm full of it, and don't know squat. They will say that they can and do rip the magazines out just fine with a plug in place. So be it. I on the other hand belive Murphy was an optimist, especially in gunfights, and don't want to tempt fate. I want every advantage my old tired eyes and huge fat thumbs can get.

And again there are two kinds, maybe more, of plugs. Some stick out like the pictures above by design, and some fit flush. I had one of each. The one like the one above I got at www.glockparts.com and the other I got from an unknown internet dealer. It fit flush. It looked great and I was happy with it. It was in my Glock 19. My 19 has not cut out forward, only the one aft. After some training with the thing, and being required to clear several kinds of malfunctions to clear the state POST test, I pulled it out.

I do know of one SWAT cop that has plugs in his entry 34. Something about finding bits of exploded couch material in the channel..... It works for him. I on the other hand, have yet to blow up a couch.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Dude ... I think you have it inserted backasswards!

I wish it were that easy
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Not going to flame you, just disagree. To each, his own,  I guess
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#19]
My G27, outline for cut in handle but no cut.

MFG Date 08 Feb 2006, Damn new!

I tried to take a pic for you by the batteries went out in the cam before I could get a good pic.

Looks exactly like yours.

-Matt
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I agree, save the money, send the plugs back.  They are really nothing more than a gimmick.  

Right now, there is an open space there.  If anything falls in there, it is free to fall right back out.  When you install the plug, gun powder residue, dirt, and lint builds up in that space because the plug holds it in.  So you are accomplishing exactly the opposite of what you set out to do by installing the plug.

I had a plug on one of my Glocks, and I decided to pull it and see how bad it was after about a week.  There was a good bit of garbage in there that never seemed to be a problem before so I left the plug off.  I also had one on my G27 and it continuosly kept falling out while I was shooting.  The sub-compacts don't have lanyard holes, so the only  way to retain the plug is by some form of gluing.  I said no thanks and threw it away.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:00:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The hole is there for a reason. Remember that under stress fingers (fine motor skills) turn to flippers (don't work as well.) If you have to reload under stress, and your magazine does not drop free, you have to rip it out. Or, if you have some types of malfunctions you have to rip the magazine out to clear the jam.

The hole gives you space to insert your thumb in order to get a better grip on the magazine and rip it free. Without it you have very little surface area to grasp and again - under stress - you may not be able to get a good grip and get the magazine out. Add gloves and its really difficult to do.

The original glock magazines did not drop free, and you had to rip them out. That's why there was the half circle cut out fore and aft.

Now many will say that I'm full of it, and don't know squat. They will say that they can and do rip the magazines out just fine with a plug in place. So be it. I on the other hand belive Murphy was an optimist, especially in gunfights, and don't want to tempt fate. I want every advantage my old tired eyes and huge fat thumbs can get.

You are exactly right, Man.  Why else would glock have that there?  Lint is not going to cause a glock to fail.  Blow it out once a week.  That's what I did.

I think anyone who would flame you for being right needs his head checked.  You'll note that the front of the frame on most glocks is relieved too.  This combined with the hole in the back of the frame give the shooter an Excellent grip on the mag.  Especially if you have gloves on.

Plugging that hole is like shutting off a feature of the glock.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#22]
At my agency, I am a Glock Armorer.  Last year at the armorer's class, one of the firearm instructor's I was with asked the Glock guy specifically what the opening was for on the back of the grip.

The instructor of the class told us that yes, it was there for assisting in pulling out the magazines that did not drop free.  He also advised us that everytime you pull the trigger, metal shavings etc. are expelled by the round as it is leaving the barrel and these debris items get funneled out this "chute" and that it why it should be kept free and open.

Just passing along what he told us, not trying to start a flame war.  I'd post his name but I wrote it in my manual and that is at work.  I'll look tonight when I go back in and repost so you can call him yourself.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I have the plug on my 27 and the moon cut is in the pistol.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#24]
my plug fits like that in my G26. i think scherer are making some shitty products...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#25]
You got Scherer plugs. Get the Jentra plugs and they will fit flush. The Scherer plugs are supposed to fit that way, as it aids in feeding the mag in the magwell.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#26]
has anyone ever had difficulty removing a Glock mag due to a plugged grip and crud?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
has anyone ever had difficulty removing a Glock mag due to a plugged grip and crud?

In most instances it would not be an issue.  But during a real life encounter, things don't always go the way they do at the range.

For example, a Phx PD officer here had his glock fail during a shooting at a gas station.  It was thought that the slide struck the door or door frame of his cruiser or something.  In an event like that where you end up with a Class 3 malf, you want as much traction to get that mag out as possible.  

Having that extra option on my pistols is mandatory.  Although not a likely need, odds are greater that you'll use it than some lint stopping your weapon.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I pulled the plugs on my 22 & 23!!!! Area it plugs is there for a reason..... Makes since to me!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#29]
You can plug the hole if you want, it most likely will not cause you any problems. While the space behind the mag can be used to remove a stuck magazine, that is not is primary intention. The hole, gap to the rear of your mag is a debris chute. Glocks were designed as a combat weapon for the Austrian Army, and are designed for use in extreme conditions. The top of the chute is at the base of your trigger bar, and is there so debris don’t collect and prevent your weapon from firing. Any debris will ideally drop free of the weapon through this chute.
MB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top