Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/26/2006 6:53:51 AM EDT
I really like fiber optic sights on my turkey guns, and am thinking of installing a set of Dawson fibers on my Glock for carry. I know they are design for competition, but how rugged are they for carry?

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:05:56 PM EDT
I had the HI-Viz version on a Glock 30 and liked them until I traded them for Big-Dots.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:48:42 PM EDT
I wouldn't recommend it. The fiber optic inserts will shoot loose on a range pistol so I wouldn't consider them rugged enough for carry...that's just me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:12:40 PM EDT
I have a Hi Viz FO front site with just a regular u notch rear. I absolutely love this set up. I can aquire my target so much faster. I have it installed on my 19 which I use for everyday carry and IDPA. In 2 years of IDPA and daily carrying my front site has never shot loose or come loose for any reason. It has been extrtemely reliable and rock solid. I will never go back to using a regular front site. The only thing I might switch it out for is the one that is FO and tritium.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:58:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bullseye_Doc_Holiday:
I wouldn't recommend it. The fiber optic inserts will shoot loose on a range pistol so I wouldn't consider them rugged enough for carry...that's just me.

Is this your experience with Dawson fiber optics, or just fiber optics in general?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:32:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 12:32:59 PM EDT by Bullseye_Doc_Holiday]
Sorry, I should have specified. My experiences are with Dawson's and I might add that I work at a range that leases space to an IPSC league. Many of the IPSC shooters use the Dawson and consider replacing the FO insert after it falls/shoots out to be routine maintenance.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:10:11 PM EDT
I have a Dawson fiber optic on my G34 that I shoot IPSC with. I shoot more rounds through that gun then 95% of any carry gun and I have had no issues. I had the front sight cut down to .090 inchs but they also come in .125 inches. The .090 gives you some daylight between the front post and the back sight notch.

One last think, the sights still work if you loose the fiber optic. If you are worred about loosing the fiber you can supper gue it into place.
Top Top