Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 3:56:35 PM EDT
I'm looking at buying a Glock 17 and have a few ammo questions:

1.  I've never owned a 9mm before, and don't know anything about it.  In fact, this is going to be my first handgun. 9mm and 9mm luger are the same thing, right?

2.   How does 9mm +P+ differ from 9mm?

3.  Is it ok to shoot military surplus ammo in the G17 without fears of a kaboom?

4.  What about handloads?  I've heard that .40 hanloads in a glock are a no-no, but what about 9mm?

5.  Where do you guys get your ammo?  I was looking through ammoman and see he has a good selection.

Anything else I should know?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm looking at buying a Glock 17 and have a few ammo questions:

1.  I've never owned a 9mm before, and don't know anything about it.  In fact, this is going to be my first handgun. 9mm and 9mm luger are the same thing, right?
Yes, they are the same I believe . . . 9mm, 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum

2.   How does 9mm +P+ differ from 9mm?
9mm +P+ is a hotter version of a regular/standard 9mm round, sorta like the .38 and the .38+p

3.  Is it ok to shoot military surplus ammo in the G17 without fears of a kaboom?
My G17 has gobbled up everything that I've ever fed it

4.  What about handloads?  I've heard that .40 hanloads in a glock are a no-no, but what about 9mm?
Glock does not recommend shooting reloads in ANY of their products.  Something about the case not being supported or some other reloading jive.

5.  Where do you guys get your ammo?  I was looking through ammoman and see he has a good selection.
I buy all of my 9mm ammo exclusively at Wal-Mart, the Winchester White Box 100 round value pack is about the best deal going right now as far as range/plinking ammo

Anything else I should know?

buy your G17 . . . shoot the piss out of it . . .then shoot it some more
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
What Glock 223 said...and then some.  
I used to reload 9mm but I just wait for it to go on sale at Bass Pro or pick it up at the gun show.  No kaboom worries on 9mm.  I may be mistaken but I think it's only .40 that sometimes have that problem.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't buy Brown Bear from Mother Russia.  It jams up my 17 consistently.  Silver Bear works better.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:30:39 AM EDT
[#4]
1) Yes, 9mm Luger is the same thing as 9mm. You will also see it referred to as 9x19mm and 9mm Parabellum. However, there is also 9x18mm (aka 9mm Makarov), and (although I doubt you will ever run into cases marked as such) 9x17mm (aka 9mm Kurz, & .380 ACP). These are NOT the same 9mm used in the Glock 17. Just go to whereever you buy ammo and ask for 9mm, they will know what you are talking about.

2) 9mm +P is a hot-loaded 9mm (More powder = more power, kick, and wear on your gun) and 9mm +P+ is loaded even hotter than +P. Both are safe to use in 9mm Glocks.

3) Yes. The Glock 17 was created for the Austrian army and is now in use in many other armies. It was designed to use military and SAAMI (commercial) ammo.

4) Glock warns against using handloads in their products. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most of the KaBooms that you hear about in Glocks are caused by the use of handloads (improperly loaded or otherwise.)

Now, to my knowledge, the whole non-supported chamber issue in Glocks does not apply to 9mm models. I've read that Glock only did it in their other chamberings (.40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, etc.) to achieve reliable operation. But just to stay on the safe side, I wouldn't use any reloads (even 9mm) in Glock pistols.

5) I buy my 9MM from Academy Sports & Outdoors for $4.86 per 50. If you do not have one around you (I think they are only in the south), then Wal-Mart has pretty good deals on Winchester White Box (WWB) 9mm.

Glocks are good pistols. Shoot the hell out of it, and then shoot it some more.

If you have not already, I suggest you check out this thread. It really shows you how much a Glock will take and keep on ticking.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:00:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok, thanks a bunch for the help!  Saturday I went to the gunshop to see if they had any used ones, but they didn't, so I put one on order.  I can't wait to pick it up.   While  I was in town I went to walmart and picked up 250 rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top